Thread: Progstock 2019 Bands- Where Do I Begin?

Progstock 2019 Bands- Where Do I Begin?

I will be attending my first Progstock this fall. Would everyone be willing to recommend good albums to try to get a feel for this years bands? Please suggest CDs as if I know nothing about any of the bands. Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Well, Phideaux's show will focus-I've heard-on his trilogy of albums the new INFERNAL, DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON and THE GREAT LEAP.

I think 3.2 will do stuff from their new/only album but I'd imagine they will touch upon the 3 stuff with Emerson & Palmer as well as some classic ELP.

Saga? Who knows? WORLDS APART is their big one that people remember from the radio and MTV but they've got loads of albums so anything can happen.

If any of the other bands have new albums I'd assume they will play a bunch of that.

Beyond that I'm not sure what to expect or recommend but I'm sure someone else might.

One thing I do if I'm ok with spoiler alerts is check out recent set lists from setlist.fm and that way I'm not totally in the dark for most of a band's set list.

Rocket Scientists were one of the first bands I picked up on when discovering this prog rebirth in the late 90's. Their early albums "Brutal Architecture" and "Oblivion Days" were big favorites although I've lost track of what the band has done since then. Kind of an odd mixture of sounds and styles, you have Emerson/Wakeman style keyboard passages on analog instruments from Erik Norlander, with songwriting/vocals more in the style of Beatles/Moodies classic rock from guitarist Mark McCrite. And the bass player used a Chapman stick.

Can't say I'm familiar with every band on the bill, but if I were going it would be to see Rocket Scientists. Can't go wrong with those two albums either.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Of the ones I'm familiar with:

Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll, Masques (they also have two or three live albums from the current lineup, but I believe these are out of print)
    Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase
    Phideaux - The great Leap, Doomsday Afternoon, Infernal
    Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean, Recycled, Remember The Future
    IO Earth - Solitude (I don't really care for this band, but this is the most recent, so probably the most applicable for such an event)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I will be attending my first Progstock this fall. Would everyone be willing to recommend good albums to try to get a feel for this years bands? Please suggest CDs as if I know nothing about any of the bands. Thanks in advance.

Library Jon
    Hi Jon,

I'm playing a very short set on Saturday night, but you can find all of my work here:

https://randymcstine.bandcamp.com/

There's a lot of stylistic detours in the catalog if you should check into any of it. Let me know if you'd like any suggestions.

Randy