Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine- The 100th Issue

PROG Magazine- The 100th Issue

Kudos to our friends at PROG on their 100th issue! I felt that a big, glossy magazine on prog rock with worldwide distribution was as great thing for the genre and 100 issues later it's clear that it was/is indeed. It's just great to walk into the bookstore and see PROG in a giant font, towering above so many other music mags on the rack. That alone introduced a lot of people to the genre.

And while they can't please all of you, I think they do a great job and each issue has something of interest in it and covers a wide variety of artists.

To make this a special issue they reached out to 100 different people in the world of prog and asked them to pick their personal "Prog Icon". Only catch is you can't pick one somebody else did.

They asked me to pick one and I chose someone that is always progressing and has several albums that are prog, but isn't purely a prog artist. I avoided the obvious prog choices mainly because I feel most of them haven't really progressed in years and are spending their twilight years on the nostalgia circuit. Which is great, I love a dose of that often, but it's not what I'd call forward motion.

Anyway, pick up a copy! You'll get a kick out of the other 99 choices too.

Sorry, it's ok but I rarely buy it because:

1. Its so expensive.
    2. I rarely, no, never learn anything new from it.
    3. The reviews and write ups are all pretty sycophantic.
    4 The 'free' cd of new music is usually abysmal.
    5. Once I've read it I don't know what to do with it, sometimes I try to sell them at a loss on e bay.

Once again sorry but that's just my opinion.

^^^
    outside pt2, I can't dispute anything on your list.

I don't even look at the issues at my Waterstone... I've bought Classy Crock more often than "Prog" in the last 5 years, and TBH, I'm not sure I need a second hand to count the issues of either I brought home.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So good that Prog Magazine still exists and can survive! This should be an appreciation thread of the great efforts put in to keeping such a magazine afloat, despite the obvious competition from digital sources... If not, for the same nostalgic physical-media hands-on experience that ppl buy - and pay plenty for - vinyls. I do have to admit I only buy just the odd issue as they're hard to find over here and expensive (equal to about 15-20 USD each).
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

1. Its so expensive.
    5. Once I've read it I don't know what to do with it, sometimes I try to sell them at a loss on e bay.

Personally, I find it an excellent read which usually introduces me to a bunch of new music, either through the CD or articles, every issue.

Eight quid for a large magazine and CD is a bargain, I reckon. Not too sure how that translates to non-UK prices though.

Well.....my last subscription (during a Future Publishing subscription sale) worked out to $8.33 per issue delivered to the door! That's the price of a mixed drink in a bar around here.....
    It's not perfect...but as someone who still buys physical media, I enjoy the tactile ritual of thumbing through each month....yes, they pile up.....like my Vinyl, CD's, DVD's & BD's. It's part of that Great Dumpster that will arrive one day in my driveway for my surviving relatives to fill!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Congratulations to you, PROG!

Am I missing something, or did they actually omit Yes from that cover collage?
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Yes a remarkable achievement in the current climate. I haven't bought any since the second issue (not sure I bought any other magazines after that point either) but I never envisaged that it would still be around ten years later. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    `100 issues for a very little known musical form is reallly significant. Congrats!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    `100 issues for a very little known musical form is reallly significant. Congrats!
    Yes it is a huge achievement especially when it seems that a lot of its target audience don't like it/buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

it is of course and congrats (despite my first post)

But if I remember well, there was some strange way to count in the first 20 issues (maybe the AOR and Blues mags counted in the order... or sumthin' like that)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well of Course we had to turn this into a Yes thread!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Conprogulations all round. Quite a landmark, and very reassuring to see in this issue that Rick Wakeman is still talking about himself farting.

Plenty of interesting insights in the main feature, and I particularly enjoyed Steve Hackett's appraisal of Chris Squire - very touching.

Not every issue has hit the spot with me - same as any music magazine, of course - but so far I have about 20 issues that are definite keepers that I'll hang on to. All of them focused on the 1970s it has to be said, which reminds me of the point that Fish makes in this new issue: does Prog magazine have to rely on more and more newer bands getting big as the nostalgia market shrinks? (Personally I think there's a lot more mileage in the combination of old and new yet.)

Banned
    CONGRATULATIONS!

1. Its so expensive.

1. Expensive compared to what? It's a specialty magazine with all of the adverts music related, so you know there is not a lot of income from those.
    2. You must be really attuned to new music being released around the globe to never learn anything. Every issue has a band I've never heard of.
    3. I actually think the writing is pretty good.
    4. I'll agree with you on the CD, but I do enjoy the opportunity to hear bands I'm not familiar with.
    5. I give mine to one of two friends that would not otherwise buy the magazine. They always enjoy them, and actually keep them to refer back to

And that's just my opinion.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

The 100th issue is a twin issue in the UK, the other magazine entirely devoted to Jethro Tull - useful for some, irrelevant to me, straight to recycle.
    For me, it adds to the info I get on here and DPRP, although this 100th issue is almost all "puff" pieces for 100 prog greats.
    I find these pieces where one person talks up another as an inspiration, etc. to be the most boring reads, so this issue is the least interesting.
    Usually, there's just about enough editorial, reviews, advertisements and music on the CD to keep me going back next month.
    I would prefer the reviews of concerts and releases to be larger, more in-depth.

There is still plenty of Yes on the cover. Three ex-members are mentioned below the cover collage.

I have been a avid reader since Issue 1, first scouring Barnes and Noble or Penn Station bookstores to now subscribing to the digital edition via the Zinio app on both my iPad and Samsung phone.

For those complaining about cost, if you don't mind trading in print for digital, each issue on the Zinio app for iPad/iPhone is $2.99, while on Android it's $3.25 per issue. Last month, there was a sale and I was able to subscribe for a yearly subscription for less of the cost of a single print issue in the U.S. Of course, you don't get the CD with the digital edition.

While the cover subjects are usually the same bunch (Yes, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Tull, Steven Wilson), the corresponding articles are excellent. I enjoy the album and concert review sections, and like others have discovered new and old bands because of articles/reviews in the magazine.

Congratulations on 100 issues!
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Some interesting points of view from folks here.

Given the current digital climate it's rewarding for longtime subscribers like myself to see the mag go from strength to strength, and for a genre of music that's supposedly "niche".

The editorial team work very hard to produce each issue, and it's not easy for them to try and please everyone. Some readers criticise the mag for not covering their favourite vintage bands enough, but then other readers criticise it for being too stuck in the past when there's a vibrant current scene.

I think it's struck a good balance between respect for the older bands (which they need to cover mount in order to appeal to consumers beyond the "committed"), and determinedly focussing on the here and now and future.

The promo cd has seen a shift in focus and is now exclusively used to showcase new talent - most of the bands on the cd are either self-financing via bandcamp or just releasing their own demos. Yes, some songs are hit and miss, but who else is willing to give them exposure?

The mag also does a good job of shining a light on those behind the scenes - festival organisers, owner of prog-friendly independent record stores etc - which I've found helpful while travelling around.

And through engaging with the editorial team via their FB site, you come to realise that they're not just nice folks, they're genuine prog fans - not jobbing journalists.

I appreciate the views of those who find less to enjoy between the pages, but in this day and age it's a rare pleasure to look forward each month to a real magazine (about real music!) waiting behind the letter box.

As Jerry the editor often says - Prog on!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Some interesting points of view from folks here.

Given the current digital climate it's rewarding for longtime subscribers like myself to see the mag go from strength to strength, and for a genre of music that's supposedly "niche".

The editorial team work very hard to produce each issue, and it's not easy for them to try and please everyone. Some readers criticise the mag for not covering their favourite vintage bands enough, but then other readers criticise it for being too stuck in the past when there's a vibrant current scene.

I think it's struck a good balance between respect for the older bands (which they need to cover mount in order to appeal to consumers beyond the "committed"), and determinedly focussing on the here and now and future.

The promo cd has seen a shift in focus and is now exclusively used to showcase new talent - most of the bands on the cd are either self-financing via bandcamp or just releasing their own demos. Yes, some songs are hit and miss, but who else is willing to give them exposure?

The mag also does a good job of shining a light on those behind the scenes - festival organisers, owner of prog-friendly independent record stores etc - which I've found helpful while travelling around.

And through engaging with the editorial team via their FB site, you come to realise that they're not just nice folks, they're genuine prog fans - not jobbing journalists.

I appreciate the views of those who find less to enjoy between the pages, but in this day and age it's a rare pleasure to look forward each month to a real magazine (about real music!) waiting behind the letter box.

As Jerry the editor often says - Prog on!
    I agree with the above, wholeheartedly!

1. Its so expensive.

In my opinion...

1. Yeah, OK, it's not cheap. But it's about the same as similar magazines.
    2. I learn something new from most issues. I don't read everything in the magazine. I skim some sections. Articles on the artists that interest me sometimes tell me many things I already know, but there's often some new information, I find. Articles on artists I know less about usually tell me lots of things I didn't know.
    3. There is some sycophancy, but that's the nature of the beast. You don't buy Prog magazine to read fifteen reviews saying prog sucks. The reviews mostly tell me enough to give me a sense of whether I want to check something out or not.
    4. The cover CD varies in quality. I've been quite enjoying the one with the 100th issue.
    5. Yes, I do now have several large piles of old magazines and I don't know what to do with them either! Switching to the digital version would solve this problem (and (4) and (1), to a degree).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I subscribe. I also subscribe to Uncut and buy pretty much every issue of Mojo at the shops. I've read as much of the 100th issue as I want - that is a small number of the reviews (the word metal appears in the by line and I move on swiftly!) and about 75% of the 100 tributes. I don't keep any copies. I haven't sampled the cd and might not.

But are any of cds that come with music magazines much cop? I ended my subscription to Mojo because its cds repeatedly served up really old recordings, usually on the grounds that they influenced the Rolling Stones. The cds that come with Uncut are probably the best. But that magazine, like Mojo, is often stuck in the 1976-82 era.

A feature of magazines I am always interested to read are the letters sent in by readers. Here Mojo excels, with erudite and witty contributions. But Prog falls flat on its face. Long letters explaining how why such-and-such a band is better than Prog reckoned. Prog needs some of the contributors to this board to write in.

Still I'm glad Prog exists and will not be cancelling my subscription.

^ Agreed that Uncut has good CDs and Prog has poor letters.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Long letters explaining how why such-and-such a band is better than Prog reckoned. Prog needs some of the contributors to this board to write in.
    I am hoping that Sean writes a letter to them about prog as it relates to substance abuse / anger issues / mental illness.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.