Thread: Us, Today at ProgDay 25!

Us, Today at ProgDay 25!

Us, Today at ProgDay 25!

“…a wonderful trio from from Cincinnati, Ohio, who play a sort of modern progressive rock with a lot of modern / electronica / hipster touches. The sound is interesting, fun, rockin' and unique. The only groups I can think of that have some similarities are Algernon and, to a lesser degree, Tortoise, but they mostly sound like Us, Today. They're also great live... Give a listen! You want this!”
    - WAYSIDE MUSIC

“Us, Today have a very organic sound, grounded and almost spartan, defined by subtle innovation rather than flamboyant gimmicks. They choose to focus on precision and they build their hypnotic tracks from the interplay of well-defined, razor-sharp riffs, punctuated by the celestial vibraphone.”
    - Mircea Laslo, ARCTIC DRONES MAGAZINE

US, TODAY combines elements of jazz, post-rock and electronic music to explore the less traveled intersections of rock and electric jazz. With the unusual instrumentation of guitar, keyboards, drums and vibraphone, the trio has developed a signature sound. Whether the music is tumbling head over heels down a hill or floating in ambient space, the band’s musical adventures focus on subtlety and invention and will take you down a winding road to new places.

Join US, TODAY, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, IZZ and MÖRGLBL at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay. ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music Page.

Thanks!

Michael

. . .

I’ve seen them twice and they’re TERRIFIC!

Wonderful addition that should win over a field full of folks who aren’t familiar with them!!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Listening to their album, Computant now. Very, very good. Excellent drummer. Could be as good as Soften the Glare, my favourite band, from last year!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh man I would love to see those guys, missing this years festivities is going to be brutal
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't know anything about them, and that's exactly why I go to Progday - to catch bands I don't know anything about.

Hypnotic hipster vibes. Ok!

Here are three good performance videos.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Hypnotic hipster vibes. Ok!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

Fun! New name for me TBH but a quick listen to a few bits above and I'll be quite happy to see 'em in a couple of months
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Good Day Friday! ~

Interesting... the first video and the 'putting together' of the vibraphone. I had thought that the instrument was all one piece. Is that a 'travel' version??

I'm with you John... I am usually pleased by at least ONE new exposure to a band (for me) each year at ProgDay. Our beloved weekend at the farm for sure.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Fun! New name for me TBH but a quick listen to a few bits above and I'll be quite happy to see 'em in a couple of months
    A band I know that John doesn't? Oh happy day! I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell ya!
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hell, I'll be totally honest: I opened this thread thinking there were TWO band announcements being made
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Interesting... the first video and the 'putting together' of the vibraphone. I had thought that the instrument was all one piece. Is that a 'travel' version??
    No. They all break down like that. They are never 'one piece'. It's too big to be one piece; you couldn't get it through a doorway!!

The 'keys' roll up, the frame breaks down and the resonators at the bottom come off.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Really talented band! I've got their album Computant, and it's very good. I love tuned percussion instruments, especially the vibraphone and marimba, so this group captured my attention.

Glad to see they're playing at ProgDay. Hopefully it will get them some new fans!

Will there be bells in the field?? Hells Yes!!!!

Checking out the Spellcaster videos as i type, this is hugely impressive and cool and totally unexpected, can't wait!.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No. They all break down like that.
    To some extent.

Some of them break down completely, as Steve says, with even the frame disassembling into its component pieces. On others, the bars and resonators come off but the frame stays together. But I have an electronic MalletKat that doesn't break down at all - it's just one piece, resembling a DX-7 with a huge rubber keyboard. I also have an old Jenco vibraphone, from the Thirties or so, on which the bars and frame stay fixed, the legs fold up, and the resonators come out from below. Those bars+frame+legs are a heavy SOB - about fifty pounds, I would guess, and I hate moving that mofo - there's no good way to haul it, and that's why I got the MalletKat. I had a project underway to build a case for the Jenco, but it got stalled a number of years ago; various oddly-cut pieces of plywood, edge and corner extrusions, and wheels are still sitting around in odd corners of my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    To some extent.

Some of them break down completely, as Steve says, with even the frame disassembling into its component pieces. On others, the bars and resonators come off but the frame stays together. But I have an electronic MalletKat that doesn't break down at all - it's just one piece, resembling a DX-7 with a huge rubber keyboard. I also have an old Jenco vibraphone, from the Thirties or so, on which the bars and frame stay fixed, the legs fold up, and the resonators come out from below. Those bars+frame+legs are a heavy SOB - about fifty pounds, I would guess, and I hate moving that mofo - there's no good way to haul it, and that's why I got the MalletKat. I had a project underway to build a case for the Jenco, but it got stalled a number of years ago; various oddly-cut pieces of plywood, edge and corner extrusions, and wheels are still sitting around in odd corners of my basement.
    A KAT isn’t a set of vibes, Bucky. And I wasn’t speaking about historical items now 80 years old.

All reasonably modern vibes break down as I described or reasonably close to as I described. OK? Sheesh.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Play nice kids!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Got my ticket in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Debbie.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Me Too! Me Too! Thanks Debi, et al.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

Likewise. Thanks Debi. Will see you all on the field (and in the trenches).

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Got my ticket in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Debbie.
    Crumpled check's in the mail.

Crumpled cash will be in my hand at Storybook gate.

"Extemporaneous Convenience" has become the mantra of this old man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman