Thread: 9 CD Caravan Box Set September 2019

9 CD Caravan Box Set September 2019

For those wavering on the 30-disc set due in 2020, this is a pretty cool set featuring their albums 2 through 6 and some great live stuff from that era:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/car...ween-1970-1975

Caravan: The Decca/Deram Years (An Anthology) 1970-1975

CD1: If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
    1. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
    2. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
    3. As I Feel I Die
    4. With an Ear to the Ground / You Can Make It / Martinian / Only Cox / Reprise
    5. Hello Hello
    6. Asforteri
    7. Can't Be Long Now / Françoise / For Richard / Warlock
    8. Limits
    9. A Day in the Life of Maurice Haylett
    10. Why? (And I wish I were Stoned)
    11. Clipping the 8t (hello hello)
    12. As I Feel I Die

CD2: In The Land Of Grey And Pink
    1. Golf Girl
    2. Winter Wine
    3. Love to Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
    4. In the Land of Grey and Pink
    5. Nine Feet Underground
    6. I don't know it's name (Alias The Word)
    7. Aristocracy
    8. It's likely to have a name next week
    9. Group Girl
    10. Disassociation/100% Proof

CD3: Waterloo Lily
    1. Waterloo Lily
    2. Nothing at All / It's Coming Soon / Nothing at All (Reprise)
    3. Songs and Signs
    4. Aristocracy
    5. The Love in Your Eye / To Catch Me a Brother / Subsultus / Debouchement / Tilbury Kecks
    6. The World is Yours
    7. Pye's June thing
    8. Ferdinand
    9. Looking left, looking right / Pye's Loop

CD4: For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
    1. Memory Lain, Hugh / Headloss
    2. Hoedown
    3. Surprise, Surprise
    4. C'thlu Thlu
    5. The Dog, The Dog, He's at It Again
    6. Be All Right / Chance of a Lifetime
    7. L'Auberge du Sanglier / A Hunting We Shall Go / Pengola / Backwards / A 8. Hunting We Shall Go (reprise)
    8. Memory Lain, Hugh / Headloss
    9. No! (Be Alright ) / Waffle (Chance of a lifetime)
    10. He Who Smelt it Dealt it (Memory Lain, Hugh)
    11. Surprise, surprise
    12. Derek's Long Thing

CD5: Caravan & The New Symphonia
    1. Introduction by Alan Black / Memory Lain, Hugh / Headloss
    2. The Dog, The Dog, He's at it again
    3. Hoedown
    4. Introduction / Virgin On The Ridiculous
    5. The Love in Your Eye
    6. Mirror for the Day
    7. Virgin on the Ridiculous
    8. For Richard
    9. A Hunting We Shall Go

CD6: Cunning Stunts
    1. The Show of Our Lives
    2. Stuck in a Hole
    3. Lover
    4. No Backstage Pass
    5. Welcome the Day
    6. The Dabsong Conshirtoe
    7. Fear and Loathing in Tollington Park Rag
    8. Stuck in a Hole
    9. Keeping back my love

CD7: Live At The Fairfield Halls, 1974
    1. Memory Lain, Hugh / Headloss
    2. Virgin On The Ridiculous
    3. Be Alright / Chance Of A Lifetime
    4. The Love In Your Eye
    5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / A Hunting We Shall Go / Pengola / Backwards / A Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise)
    6. The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again
    7. For Richard
    8. Hoedown

CD8: The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1970-1975

Pt.1
    1. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
    2. Hello, Hello
    3. As I Feel I Die
    4. Love to Love You
    5. Love Song Without Flute
    6. In The Land of Grey and Pink
    7. Nine Feet Underground
    8. Feelin' Reelin' Squealin
    9. A Huntin' We Shall Go
    10. Waffle Part One: Be Alright / Chance of a Lifetime

CD 9: The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1970-1975

Pt.2
    1. Memory Lain Hugh
    2. Headloss
    3. The Love in Your Eye
    4. Mirror for the Day
    5. Virgin on the Ridiculous
    6. For Richard
    7. The Dabsong Conshirto
    8. Stuck in a Hole
    9. The Show of our Lives

If you're not familiar with Caravan this box includes their best work and everything you'll ever need from this band (but their very 1st which is not included in this set). Cunning Stunts was the start of a slow but permanent decline and there's not much to save in their 7 (or 8?) following studio albums which makes the giant 30-disc set a poor investment, unless you're a completist. And good to see they have included Fairfield Halls in the set, which I consider their best live recording. Of course, If you have nothing from Caravan in your collection this is a must have.

That's all excellent stuff, but I've got every one of those CDs already. Great set for newcomers though! Or anyone who has collection holes to fill in. And looks beautiful too!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I only have If I Could Do It Again and Grey and Pink so this is very interesting.

There were a couple of live recordings on the 30 CD that looked nice but overall that one is way overkill for what I'd want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    If you're not familiar with Caravan this box includes their best work and everything you'll ever need from this band (but their very 1st which is not included in this set). Cunning Stunts was the start of a slow but permanent decline and there's not much to save in their 7 (or 8?) following studio albums which makes the giant 30-disc set a poor investment, unless you're a completist. And good to see they have included Fairfield Halls in the set, which I consider their best live recording. Of course, If you have nothing from Caravan in your collection this is a must have.
    Well personally I'd have included Blind Dog (and to a lesser extent, the debut which I already own in mini-lp format anyways) in it, but I suppose that other labels record (hence the début) are not meant to be included here.

I may actually go for that boxset because I'd always wanted to own the mini-lps (I passed to the Japanese of 15 years ago, because I thought they were poorly made/printed - unusually so), provided they are the right size (13x13cm and not 12x12 cm) and proper gate-folding plying (the Pentangle boxset was not satisfactory >> not a 100% happy with the Yes boxset either, though).

Of course, this would mean my present Caravan CDs would go on the outgoing pile

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's all excellent stuff, but I've got every one of those CDs already. Great set for newcomers though! Or anyone who has collection holes to fill in. And looks beautiful too!
    my only quibble could be the white frame of Stunts, which appears a little too big compared to my memories.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I only have If I Could Do It Again and Grey and Pink so this is very interesting.

There were a couple of live recordings on the 30 CD that looked nice but overall that one is way overkill for what I'd want.
    yup, the big box was definitely overkill - FTM, I wonder if this reasonable boxset would not endanger the birth of that monster
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I wish I had a nice master/remaster of Blind Dog. Is there 1 out there I've missed beyond the tepid sounding CD of some years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well personally I'd have included Blind Dog (and to a lesser extent, the debut which I already own in mini-lp format anyways) in it, but I suppose that other labels record (hence the début) are not meant to be included here.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I wish I had a nice master/remaster of Blind Dog. Is there 1 out there I've missed beyond the tepid sounding CD of some years ago?
    I have the one on Repertoire / BTM records which is good. I have most Caravan on vinyl and most CD Universal remasters and to my ear the CDs sound all good.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

After reading another thread recently re: this box set I decided to fill out my collection individually for the few I have been missing (I have everything on vinyl that I wanted from back in the day) vs. holding out to buy this collection.. I paid less than $8 each via Amazon from a 3rd party seller.. I'm with others it looks very nice but like a few have stated here I've got several nice live recordings from them don't think I need anymore.
    Last edited by happytheman; 07-15-2019 at 04:54 AM.

This is perfect for me, having only one Caravan album. One stop shopping.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    After reading another thread recently re: this box set I decided to fill out my collection individually to the few I have been missing (I have everything on vinyl that I wanted from back in the day) vs. holding out to buy this collection.. I paid less than $8 each via Amazon from a 3rd party seller.. I'm with others it looks very nice but like a few have stated here I've got several nice live recordings from them don't think I need anymore.
    Counting vinyls, first gens CDs and the remasters, this would be the fourth time I buy all these classic Caravan studio albums and the second time for the 00's released live albums and New Symphonia

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    This is perfect for me, having only one Caravan album. One stop shopping.
    I'd almost call you lucky, because you didn't spend a fortune and you're about to discover amazing music for the first time, but then again , you missed out of 40 years of Caravan bingeing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Unfortunately I already have most of this, or fortunately as I've been enjoying it for a long time. One of the first prog bands I got into.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Agreed. This is a wonderful set of their most essential stuff. If I didn't have it all I would definitely be interested.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I have the Repertoire / BTM CD - just a bit...I dunno. Sounds like it was mastered off a cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I have the one on Repertoire / BTM records which is good. I have most Caravan on vinyl and most CD Universal remasters and to my ear the CDs sound all good.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Is this boxset out already??

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Is this boxset out already??
    I believe it was released early September. Amazon, Burning Shed and I guess many more have it.

Unboxing of the boxset

Apparently theuy invented some gatefold covers for this

===========

Found it on Amazon for 70€, whereas in B&M stores, it was between 100 and 135.00

"Plump in the night". Yeah, he knows his stuff.

Have them all except for last two live. If you don't have them, very well worth it.