Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of Progressive Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Camel View Post
    I was there years ago and met that great Chapman Stick player, Anthony Mazzero who resided there. He was always playing around town and exceptional. I wonder if he ever put together a progressive rock band?
    I have seen Anthony in a few shows there in town. He is a marvelous guitarist. Not a terribly approachable bloke though, when I tried to ask questions post shows and got the cold shoulder.

Future Prog rock needs to look for NEW elements and new sounds, instead of recycling 70's stuff over and over...

I strongly suggest introducing the Phin guitar.... link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUOoJ1H7OTU

^ I can name you some 300 acts that have actively not only "looked for" but found and created new sounds, approaches, concepts and ideas these past 40 years, most of whom have been mentioned at one point or another in threads here at PE.

With interest and/or enthusiasm from the same crowd of approx. 25 people into "progressive" rock; the other 3000 members apparently either oblivious, ignorant or harshly hostile to the very thought of "new" and "other".

So perhaps the sender isn't the main dilemma - maybe the purported receiver is.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^ Absolutely. I touched on it a bit earlier, but mentioned that one could argue that there is no better time than now to be a progressive rock fan. The renaissance came, but no one was listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    But in terms of popular culture, prog is dead. And when it does emerge in pop culture in the form of groups like Radiohead, GY!BE, and The Mars Volta, most classic prog fans turn their noses up to it. Heck, even most new progressive rock we are familiar with here is only popular with a subset of fans.

In the end, if progressive rock ever does become popular again, it will likely sound very different, be popular with youth, and alienate most of the 1st wave fans.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It's frustrating. I'm in my mid-sixties, and I'm still looking for and listening to new music that, as someone put it, "scratches the same itch" as the stuff I grew up on - see the Troot and Anna Meredith threads for a couple of examples. And very few other people seem interested in these, or in anything beyond the old legacy acts or their newer imitators. Even younger people, with a few shining exceptions, just seem to know what they like and like what they know.

In a way, I'm not even all that open-minded - music that's got no musical ideas beyond diatonic three-chord perfection doesn't grab my interest, no matter what level of craftsmanship or emotional depth it has. But so many people, even or especially here, don't just have closed minds; they have them bricked and mortared up and gathering dust.

^^^ That’s pretty much the reality. I am always searching for both new things and new familiar things. But I understand that even on a place like “Progressive Ears”, that makes me a minority. For me, there is no greater feeling than finding that new discovery that eventually gets etched into my permanent repertoire.

As long as there are other like minded people that are enthusiastic about music and share these discoveries with the rest of us, there’s hope. Because in today’s environment of content overload, if it’s not actively brought to one’s attention, it risks getting lost in plain sight.

It's been discussed for a long time, but we are in a new time now. Will we ever see an epic return of Progressive Rock into popular culture as significant as the music was to it's former glory days?
    Considering the fact that as we speak, the only music that makes the album charts is either R&B influenced or Country inflected, the answer is "not for the foreseeable future".
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I think prog enthusuasts need to widen their ears beyond stuff that sounds like the 70's and that's all. Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is a great prog record, a concept album about fame and how it affects sanity in the same way that The Wall was.

Listen to it with prog ears and without any preconceptions about the artist or the genre he works in, pretend that it's by someone else, and you might agree with me. Or not. But that's my prog album of the last few years and it's not up to anyone else to tell me that it isn't because it's not a shit copy of early Genesis.
    Last edited by revporl; 07-12-2019 at 06:36 AM.

I have little more to contribute to this thread that hasn't been said already, but I feel compelled to point out that each time I glance at this page and this thread title, my mind subconsciously reads "The Funeral of Progressive Rock" each time.

Which kind of feels...not entirely wrong somehow
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Listen to it with prog ears and without any preconceptions about the artist or the genre he works in, pretend that it's by someone else, and you might agree with me. Or not. But that's my prog album of the last few years and it's not up to anyone else to tell me that it isn't because it's not a shit copy of early Genesis.
    I have a hard time believing that most progheads would consider any of these a new "Watcher of the Skies"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTH1VNHLjng from Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TvNqiMdHU from Benjamin Clementine's I Tell A Fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fN-8NjrvI from Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoxdPGu_4E from D'Angelo's Black Messiah
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-12-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    ... He who life can no longer surprise

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    I think prog enthusuasts need to widen their ears beyond stuff that sounds like the 70's and that's all. Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is a great prog record, a concept album about fame and how it affects sanity in the same way that The Wall was.
    It's okay. I find Kanye tends to patchwork other artist's ideas together and repackage as his own. It's difficult to listen to his stuff without that in mind. But to your broader point, I also have some favorite albums each year that are way outside the box. Sharing those here is a good way to break the "genesis cycle" for those open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    my mind subconsciously reads "The Funeral of Progressive Rock" each time.

Which kind of feels...not entirely wrong somehow

I'm 66. I have rarely in the past 15 years found new music that absolutely excites me, not like when I was younger. This board becomes important for that reason: I had not heard of Anna Meredith, but the one clip was truly exciting to me. Hedvig Mollestad is another. Living in an apartment, like I do now- until I can buy!- means no music I really love- no Diamanda Galas, no Magma too loud, etc. I am not trying to find specific genre music. I am just trying to find great music, and I do not care what category it fits into.

I sometimes think we try too hard to "progicize" music, so calling something by Kanye prog, or asking if Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" is prog. Really, who cares? Like what you like, stop nichifying it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^^^ Absolutely. I touched on it a bit earlier, but mentioned that one could argue that there is no better time than now to be a progressive rock fan. The renaissance came, but no one was listening.
    Oh, come now! I've purchased every Renaissance album, even Past Orbits Of Dust!

Depends on your definition of "progressive rock".

If progressive rock means always changing and coming up with something new and different that hasn't been done before, we'll always have that but you'll have to do some digging to find it because it won't be on mainstream avenues. The albums from OM, especially the last few, certainly fit this definition.

If progressive rock means a STYLE of music with some or all of the following elements - keyboards, long songs, suites, non-traditional song structures, odd time signatures, dynamics, high-falutin' lyrical concepts, etc. - then that music will also always be around. Just as rockabilly music is a style and it's still being played and recorded 70 years later. No one's really reinventing the wheel with rockabilly but you will find the occasional band with some jazz chords thrown in or a heavier punk style.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I find Kanye tends to patchwork other artist's ideas together and repackage as his own. It's difficult to listen to his stuff without that in mind.
    Well, how about retro-prog or Kamasi Washington? Is it also difficult to listen to such stuff without that in mind?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    or asking if Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" is prog. Really, who cares?
    I care for one.

It would be interesting to hear why "Funeral for a Friend" would not be considered prog. Just because he is Elton John? Didn't Elton John audition for Gentle Giant at one early point in his career?

Just a quick interjection, not trying to move off topic.

I'll take the bait on Mr. West...multiple friends have recommended Dark Twisted Fantasty to me and I have given it a few fair listens (I am not a huge/wide fan of rap/hip hop but I do enjoy some other acts). In the end, I've been unable to distance his music from his persona and subsequently I've not been able to get into his music.

That's on me as a listener, mind you. But it's definitely an obstacle.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It would be interesting to hear why "Funeral for a Friend" would not be considered prog. Just because he is Elton John?
    Einstürzende Neubauten concocted some structurally (and thus compositionally) very advanced arrangements during their career. Would you consider them "prog" too? I'm just interested to know, Skullhead.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My oldest son is a freak, a free spirit, an artist, a hippie at heart, always looking to push the boundaries in musical discovery and appreciation... he thinks Kanye is a musical genius of the highest order. I have to admit, some of the stuff he's played for me has blown me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Einstürzende Neubauten concocted some structurally (and thus compositionally) very advanced arrangements during their career.
    That they did. Interesting group...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Would you consider them "prog" too? I'm just interested to know, Skullhead.

I care for one.

It would be interesting to hear why "Funeral for a Friend" would not be considered prog. Just because he is Elton John? Didn't Elton John audition for Gentle Giant at one early point in his career?

Just a quick interjection, not trying to move off topic.
    No. He was the touring pianist for Simon Dupree and the Big Sound for a few months. He did, however, audition for King Crimson.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'll take the bait on Mr. West... I've been unable to distance his music from his persona and subsequently I've not been able to get into his music.
    Exactly. He may be a genius for all I know, but he's such an asshole that I can't give his music a fair listen.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

On-Topic answer to Question: No

Off-topic diversions (That are much more interesting)

>Yes, I too thought "Skullhead" LOL
    >Mr. West: intriguing that some think he actually has merit. I'd be willing to listen to a tune or two. Suggestions?
    >Sedona: I agree on the various bits. That Chapman player is very talented, musical, and very nice. Tlaquepaque is a very cool, trendy, retail/restaurant area for those not in the know. And yes, sometimes there are some great performers there. I have fond memories of the town from visiting my wife's rellies. But OMG, there road structure is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic that they had in 1972 but for this time frame it creates huge traffic jams that waste time and fuel. The roundabouts are great for entertainment; many were the times I was speechless at the behavior of motorists in them. But by far, my favorite things are riding my mountain bike around the various trails (tip: ride on cold drizzly days when no-one is hiking or biking) and going to a small jewelry shop in town that has a small selection of flutes from the best (IMO) Native American flute maker alive: http://www.heartsongflutes.com/flute.htm

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I heard there will be a massive revival of Hungarian nose flute players!! A huge cultural shift, much like disco.

I thought this thread was destined to die.