Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Album: Pattern-Seeking Animals(Spock's Beard members)

New Album: Pattern-Seeking Animals(Spock's Beard members)

Just discovered this release today while commenting with Jimmy Keegan on Dave Kerzner's FB page.
    Features Dave Meros, Ted Leonard, Jimmy Keegan and John Boegehold.
    https://www.insideoutmusic.com/relea...IdRelease=2202

Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

My vinyl copy just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'm looking forward to giving it a spin this evening hopefully -- along with the new one by Nad Sylvan.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My vinyl copy just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'm looking forward to giving it a spin this evening hopefully -- along with the new one by Nad Sylvan.
    That's great, I was just looking at Nad's and after listening to Animals, want to order that on vinyl as well.
    But Amazon US has a July 12 release and only one seller for vinyl(Amazon) and it was listed at around $37USD...uh, no thank you, not at that price.
    I see Laser's Edge has it for $26, but I have a Amazon Gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Let us know what you think, I liked the vibe I got from the samples, and like how Ted's vocals sounded on this. Plus he plays guitar on this.
    There is a song on there that sounds very Kansas-ish in the 30 sec sample I heard.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-09-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Nice cover art.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked this up, along with the new Nad, at Newbury Comics here in town on Friday, and am really digging it. I have enjoyed the two most recent SB discs and John’s compositions and keys really shine here.

Each disc was $17.99. Looks like CD prices have gone up a buck at Newbury in past week. Is this true elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Picked this up, along with the new Nad, at Newbury Comics here in town on Friday, and am really digging it. I have enjoyed the two most recent SB discs and John’s compositions and keys really shine here.

Each disc was $17.99. Looks like CD prices have gone up a buck at Newbury in past week. Is this true elsewhere?
    I just checked ebay and prices are trending between $17.77 and $18.99US for US sellers.
    Once again, it looks like the good people over on Amazon have their information incorrect because they have the pre order cd at $26.99 which is way too high.(Described as Limited Edition Digipak).
    Laser CD has it for $13 for the digipak.
    I suspect upon the release date for Amazon on the 12th when other sellers are listed, the price will be much lower.

Why does Amazon always have so much confusion with new releases?

Old man of prog
    OK I love the current incarnation of Spock's Beard and I got this album the first day and although it's not bad my question is WTF is the reason for this band/record to exist? What's the point?

Why did Elizabeth Berkley make Showgirls?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    OK I love the current incarnation of Spock's Beard and I got this album the first day and although it's not bad my question is WTF is the reason for this band/record to exist? What's the point?
    This was mainly a John Boegehold project as he explains here: "Originally a vehicle for a few tracks John had been working on in early 2018, he quickly came up with enough music to work towards producing an album. With that in mind, he enlisted the talents of Jimmy Keegan (drums & vocals), Ted Leonard (vocals & guitar) & Dave Meros (bass), with Boegehold handling all the synths. He adds: “Besides live strings on a few songs and a female backing vocalist on another, it was all done between the four of us with Dave and Ted ending up as co-writers on some of the material.”

With the band obviously being closely associated with Spock’s Beard, John was conscious of exploring different avenues with Pattern-Seeking Animals, whether it was song structures, vocal arrangements, synth sounds or emotional textures. “Pattern-Seeking Animals was a clean slate so I found myself drawing on a few different musical influences and using some contemporary production ideas and sounds that I probably wouldn’t use with SB for various reasons.”

I've only listened to 30 second samples on Amazon and the 2 YouTube songs.
    While similar DNA to Spock's Beard can be heard, I think there is enough different energy to consider this a band of it's own.
    Several things I like is John's synths and style of playing. I love Ryo's keyboard playing but John chooses different textures and is more subdued in his playing than the very energetic Ryo.
    Also I've really grown to like Ted's vocals in Spock's Beard, his voice seems more dynamic and confident than on the Enchant songs. On the Spock's Beard it seems to me he's constantly belting out the vocals, and that's fine because their music is so powerful.
    On this album he seems to be able to relax more and his vocals are softer which really blends in with the music.

I think the album seems on first listen as tho it's "average", but I get the sense there is more going on and with further listens will be something that grabs the listener.

I understand your disappointment in buying an album and after listening find out it's just ho hum to you.
    I usually revisit those several more times before giving up on them, because sometimes my emotions at the time give me a different POV of it.

For those of us interested in this album and plans to buy it, I appreciate your comments, although negative, it's still important to hear all opinions.

John Boegehold wrote my favorite Spock's Beard song, "Bennett Built A Time Machine." He's a very talented guy!
    The Prog Corner

On a quick first listen, its main difference from SB is Boegehold's more synth-heavy keyboard sound, and Leonard's different-sounding guitar. I don't think this could NOT have been a Beard record, but it definitely has a bolder, more melodic sound. I like it better than the Boegehold-dominated SB record, "The Oblivion Particle." It hasn't grabbed me totally, but I think it's worth some more listens.

"No One Ever Died and Made Me King" could definitely have been a Beard song, though. It has that modern-dirty-blues think SB tries once in a while these days.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    On a quick first listen, its main difference from SB is Boegehold's more synth-heavy keyboard sound, and Leonard's different-sounding guitar. I don't think this could NOT have been a Beard record, but it definitely has a bolder, more melodic sound. I like it better than the Boegehold-dominated SB record, "The Oblivion Particle." It hasn't grabbed me totally, but I think it's worth some more listens.

"No One Ever Died and Made Me King" could definitely have been a Beard song, though. It has that modern-dirty-blues think SB tries once in a while these days.
    The short sample I heard of Fall Away is very Steve Walsh-ish with Kansas sounding to me.

I may be the only one on the planet that just doesn't dig Ted Leonard. He sings all the notes, but it just doesn't emotionally pull me in.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I may be the only one on the planet that just doesn't dig Ted Leonard. He sings all the notes, but it just doesn't emotionally pull me in.
    I have always liked his stuff with Spock's better than his stuff with Enchant. Not sure that I can explain why though.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    On a related note, anyone checked out Neal's JC Exorcist featuring Ted?

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    On a related note, anyone checked out Neal's JC Exorcist featuring Ted?
    Ted sounds really good on it. Suits him very well. The star vocalist performance is by Nick D as Judas however.

I am really enjoying the album. It has much in common with the latest Beard(to me at least)...but a new angle on the songwriting that is very appealing. John uses the mellotron beautifully, and the melodies are really attractive. I am digging it.

I am so proud to (seemingly) be the first to mention...that PATTERN SEEKING ANIMALS is a lyric from the last Beard album(Noise F)...from the song Bulletproof!
    I feel like I scooped it! :-)

peace. ps looking forward to Prog Stock!!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I am really enjoying the album. It has much in common with the latest Beard(to me at least)...but a new angle on the songwriting that is very appealing. John uses the mellotron beautifully, and the melodies are really attractive. I am digging it.

I am so proud to (seemingly) be the first to mention...that PATTERN SEEKING ANIMALS is a lyric from the last Beard album(Noise F)...from the song Bulletproof!
    I feel like I scooped it! :-)

peace. ps looking forward to Prog Stock!!
    Thanks for your thoughts on the new album, definitely a buy for me.
    I was very curious what the strange name for the group meant, so thanks for sharing your scoop.
    I have Noise Floor and enjoy it a lot, but haven't really taken time to read all the words.
    Will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    No, you are not. Three albums in and I am still trying to fool myself that he fits the overall SB sound. Don't get me wrong, he is a very powerful vocalist, but his AOR-ish style is much more suitable to the Enchant prog metal leanings than to the SB complex progressive rock. Which strengthens my belief that D'Virgilio's departure was probably a harder blow to SB than Neal Morse's. (Now I am the only one who has this opinion in the universe...)! I wish SB would assign a bigger vocal role to Jimmy Keegan, but of course this won't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by zyryab View Post
    No, you are not. Three albums in and I am still trying to fool myself that he fits the overall SB sound. Don't get me wrong, he is a very powerful vocalist, but his AOR-ish style is much more suitable to the Enchant prog metal leanings than to the SB complex progressive rock. Which strengthens my belief that D'Virgilio's departure was probably a harder blow to SB than Neal Morse's. (Now I am the only one who has this opinion in the universe...)! I wish SB would assign a bigger vocal role to Jimmy Keegan, but of course this won't happen...
    Jimmy left SB a couple years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by zyryab View Post
    Has Jimmy rejoined?

I had a look at their website but it's a year or so out of date.

Wow, that's Ted Leonard? I agree -- he's a much more interesting singer these days than back in the Enchant times.

As for the music, it's definitely got that Beard-FK thing going on IMO. Fans of those bands should enjoy it. The prominent keyboards are nice, but IMO they're cancelled out by the generic rawk guitar. I'm basing this on one listen to one song so YMMV, etc. etc.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Jimmy left SB a couple years ago...
    That's why I wrote this won't happen...

A couple of listens in and I'm really enjoying this. There's a vast, windswept feel across all the songs with even the shorter ones feeling epic.

Might be a cliche but I'm definitely getting a strong Kerry Livgren/Kansas vibe from the writing, and of course, Ted Leonard's vocals but, personally, I regard that as a major positive.

I listened to the above YT clip all of about a minute before going to HDTracks, and using the discount code July12HD to get 20% off the 24/96 download. BTW: the code us good until 11:59PM EDT tonight.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama