Thread: Billy Sherwood talks Yes, solo album in new interview

Billy Sherwood talks Yes, solo album in new interview

A really interesting new interview with Billy Sherwood was posted...he talks alot about his new solo album, “Citizen: In the Next Life”, but also chats about the effects on his vocals, the tour, his relationship with both Howe and Rabin, and the current & future state of Yes.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...billy-sherwood

I found these exchanges interesting:

Sonic Perspectives: With your role as kind of the peacemaker in Yes’ history, do you personally have any hopes of a union-style event or recording in the next few years for everyone who has been part of Yes’ history?

Sherwood: Well, what I know is that we’re a really cohesive, happy, working unit right now and we’re doing this tour. I know Japan is coming. They are talking about the UK and Europe again for next year and we’ve already started booking another summer tour as this entity. So that question’s a little above my pay grade, but from my perspective I just see us going along this same course right now because we’re a really happy unit moving forward, making music. I think there might be the possibility of a new album and obviously more touring. I know that the fans are speculating about another union-type scenario, but I don’t know. I think it’s kind of a long shot, to be honest with you.

Sonic Perspectives: Rick Wakeman once famously mused that the band Yes might continue for decades, even as younger generations such as yourself, Jon Davison and Jay Schellen join the band. Do you see that as a possibility for Yes continuing and evolving, and rotating even with younger generations?

Sherwood: Yeah, I do. I could see that happening. Because the music is so good…it’s like classical music, you know. Anything that’s timeless is always going to be revisited. And while we would love all of the original members to still be alive, reality is that life goes on and we lose people as we go. But the music lives on and I think that’s important and I think it will go on in the future. Whether I’m replaced by a human being or a Sophia-type AI robot, I don’t know! (laughing) We’ll have to see! Sophia might play it better than I can, I don’t know!

Good interview. Probably the most news-worthy bit was the amount of touring Yes has lined up, and that any hope of another Union-type reunion is not in the cards.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I've always liked Billy Sherwood since I first discovered World Trade, Conspiracy, and later Circa(and of course his work with Yes).
    He seems like a down to earth, humble chap, and I like his approach to songwriting and vocal styling. He's also a pretty kick ass bass player in my opinion.

I never warmed up to the Citizen samples I heard, perhaps I should revisit those.
    Nice interview and thanks to Sonic Perspectives for posting a transcript instead of just having a podcast(not a fan of those).
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've always liked Billy Sherwood since I first discovered World Trade, Conspiracy, and later Circa(and of course his work with Yes).
    He seems like a down to earth, humble chap, and I like his approach to songwriting and vocal styling. He's also a pretty kick ass bass player in my opinion.

I never warmed up to the Citizen samples I heard, perhaps I should revisit those.
    Nice interview and thanks to Sonic Perspectives for posting a transcript instead of just having a podcast(not a fan of those).
    Effin hate podcast interviews...
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Nice interview. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    That’s an odd statement. Like any form of interview there are people who are really good at it and others who aren’t. And there are many different formats for podcasts. They are hardly one size fits all.

Thanks for posting. Nice interview.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Reading again how Chris asked Billy to step in to Yes and wanting the band to continue. That really is quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Glad it's not just me. I'd much rather read something than listen to people talk. Never could stand talk radio either.

Anyway, nice interview!

Oh, Billy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Reading again how Chris asked Billy to step in to Yes and wanting the band to continue. That really is quite something.
    And to beat dead horse to death, Billy should have played Chris’ rig at the RNRHOF induction. However, after listening to 1969 by Karmakanic this week, Jonas Rheingold would have been perfect for the job. Jonas’ bass spoons is the closest to Mr Squire’s, with all the harmonics that are beautiful.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

Thanks for acknowledging that. It's so time consuming to do the transcript (even with software support), but I figured the interview will reach many more people that way, because not everyone has time to listen to a whole podcast.

Glad you guys liked the interview, I aimed at asking some questions I hadn't heard asked before, like the processing of his vocals, etc... Hopefully some of these Yes factoids will help inform Henry's ongoing database.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Good interview. Probably the most news-worthy bit was the amount of touring Yes has lined up, and that any hope of another Union-type reunion is not in the cards.

A few weeks earlier I interviewed Alan White - also transcribed which you can read here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...th-alan-white/ - which was much shorter and less satisfying due to his shorter answers, but I also asked the "Reunion" question there and Alan seemed warm to the possibility some day. The bottom line seems to be that the current band is very happy with the smooth way it's all flowing and don't see a point rocking the boat bringing in Anderson or others (esp. after ARW's sometimes contentious comments), so I wouldn't think they'll change the lineup for any long-term sustained way. But if they live long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if a one-off of some type happens someday. Although Billy said it didn't seem likely to him, he also said it's "above his pay grade" so it's totally possible that Steve and Alan could say someday "hey, we don't have much longer here, let's do a final come together for good spirit". Just the fact that Howe was open to playing a short bit on Anderson's album (which seems likely to have been recorded sometime late 2018) is heart-warming and shows that the lines of communication are not completely closed. But aside from any possible one-off, the bulk of Yes' future looks like it'll be Yes(official), Anderson solo with various collaborators, and maybe more ARW in a couple of years if they want to give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Thanks for acknowledging that. It's so time consuming to do the transcript (even with software support), but I figured the interview will reach many more people that way, because not everyone has time to listen to a whole podcast.

Glad you guys liked the interview, I aimed at asking some questions I hadn't heard asked before, like the processing of his vocals, etc... Hopefully some of these Yes factoids will help inform Henry's ongoing database.

A few weeks earlier I interviewed Alan White - also transcribed which you can read here: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/in...th-alan-white/ - which was much shorter and less satisfying due to his shorter answers, but I also asked the "Reunion" question there and Alan seemed warm to the possibility some day. The bottom line seems to be that the current band is very happy with the smooth way it's all flowing and don't see a point rocking the boat bringing in Anderson or others (esp. after ARW's sometimes contentious comments), so I wouldn't think they'll change the lineup for any long-term sustained way. But if they live long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if a one-off of some type happens someday. Although Billy said it didn't seem likely to him, he also said it's "above his pay grade" so it's totally possible that Steve and Alan could say someday "hey, we don't have much longer here, let's do a final come together for good spirit". Just the fact that Howe was open to playing a short bit on Anderson's album (which seems likely to have been recorded sometime late 2018) is heart-warming and shows that the lines of communication are not completely closed. But aside from any possible one-off, the bulk of Yes' future looks like it'll be Yes(official), Anderson solo with various collaborators, and maybe more ARW in a couple of years if they want to give it another go.
    Regarding a "Reunion" at some point, I understand the status quo and if it ain't broke don't fix it feeling. At this point, it doesn't seem like the stars are lined up for something like that, and as well as Yes is playing, not even necessary in my opinion.
    However, time is a strange thing and none of us can see into the future. Age has a way of doing one of two things to people, like a rock in a river it can smooth the rough edges so there is less resistance to changes, or over time if it is rigid it can become brittle and eventually broken.
    Who would've thought we'd be sitting here talking about a Yes without Chris Squire, although I miss Chris still to this day, it is one of those things in life that happens , when and who you least expect.

We are fortunate to have these guys still playing, and from the concert I attended last fall, they are still KICKIN BUTT! , but again, we don't know what can happen to anyone of them at this point in their lives.
    So I could see a short "Reunion", a coming together at some point.
    Stranger things have happened to Yes, and they never cease to disappoint do they?
    This band has always had a revolving door with key players leaving, returning, etc

Thanks again for the interview, really enjoyed it, and thanks for stopping by and sharing your personal thoughts on the process.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 4 Days Ago at 04:06 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

Interview enjoyed. Transcription appreciated. Many factoids processed.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/