Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: IQ new cd(s) details announced!

I forgot about this. I need to buy this CD.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    There are no melodies that linger, nothing that sticks in my brain. I'm going to go back and keep trying with both of them, but I think I might be taking IQ off my auto-buy list. They lost something very important when Martin left, and I am noticing it big time. I will keep trying, though!
    I have the same feeling with regard to Resistance as you but I don't think it has anything to do with Martin leaving because upto Resistance the melodic writing was superb. Both Frequency and The Road Of Bones are very strong in that department. That became even more obvious at last weekend's gig in Oberhausen, Germany where they played some of the new stuff next to stuff from their back catalogue including the epic The Last Human Gateway, Further Away and the titletracks of Frequency, The Road Of Bones, Subterranea and The Wake.

I think I said it before in this thread but Resistance gives me the same feeling that I have with The Seventh House which I also find a rather weak IQ album (and I am a long time IQ afficionado and having seen them countless times live). There is something uninspiring about the writing, there is a lot of emphasis on riff based material and not much on melodic writing.

Sadly I'm kind of in this boat too. OK, maybe I've heard it twice all the way through. Understandably there's a lot to absorb, but with this album, as well as its predecessor Road of Bones, I'm finding it hard to like them. There are no melodies that linger, nothing that sticks in my brain. I'm going to go back and keep trying with both of them, but I think I might be taking IQ off my auto-buy list. They lost something very important when Martin left, and I am noticing it big time. I will keep trying, though!
    That is kind of my take, though on my most recent listen I decided that the 3 epics are actually awesome. I do feel like the material kind of all blends together in general (had similar thoughts on Road of Bones, but grew to love the "bonus" CD). However, the epics have enough dynamics and interesting parts that after about 4 or 5 plays I've grown to really love them. The shorter tracks still haven't done a lot for me, but I'll keep trying. I do feel like there is a sameness between the two albums and their general approach that wasn't quite as bad when Martin was in the band.

I feel Resistance has a lot to offer, but requires multiple listens. I'm still in the process of "digesting" it, and it will take some time, which is good - after all, IQ albums don't come often.
    As some people said, there are not many hooks in there and I sometimes feel the long songs' first parts are the best, so I end up a bit underwhelmed at the end of the epics. I also think the production is not as good as on previous albums (the sound is a bit muddy to my ears, and the guitar sound especially lacks clarity.)
    Anyway, I'm glad there's still making music and producing strong material. When I first heard Peter Nicholls years ago, I found his voice barely listenable and now he's one of my favourite singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I feel Resistance has a lot to offer, but requires multiple listens. I'm still in the process of "digesting" it, and it will take some time, which is good - after all, IQ albums don't come often.
    As some people said, there are not many hooks in there and I sometimes feel the long songs' first parts are the best, so I end up a bit underwhelmed at the end of the epics. I also think the production is not as good as on previous albums (the sound is a bit muddy to my ears, and the guitar sound especially lacks clarity.)
    Anyway, I'm glad there's still making music and producing strong material. When I first heard Peter Nicholls years ago, I found his voice barely listenable and now he's one of my favourite singers.

Yeah, I'm still only 4 listens in, so I think it needs more time as well. I agree with your other comments as well. Though oddly, I liked Nicholls right away, and the first album I heard was the first IQ album. He wasn't great, but for some reason I found his approach appealing (even though he obviously was trying to sound like Gabriel). I will say that he has only gotten better since Ever.

The one track I'm having problems with is the last one on the first disk, For Another Lifetime. Just can't like the beginning vocals, but I love the end of the song.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I too am having trouble with this release.....and I'm a HUGE IQ fan! It's on.....then 2 cd's later its over.......Seems like a solid wall of sound......I get a "movie soundtrack" vibe from the effort. Could it be a carry-over from Holmes doing the Subterranea soundtrack? No real memorable moments.

One thing may have also tempered this....I had a few listens before Christmas then it was replaced with their Dark Christmas for the month of December. Holy Cow Dark Christmas was SO CLEVER and full of IQisms that returning to Resistance was a let down in January. This is the first time in 26 years an IQ album didn't click with me. Will keep trying tho......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This is the first time in 26 years an IQ album didn't click with me.
    Same here.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

One thing that helped me start to appreciate this album more was not listening to both CD's in a row. I listen to the first one, then play some different stuff, then a day or two later listen to the second one. I find it easier to absorb that way. So far, much like Road of Bones, I'm finding I love the second CD, but am not crazy about the first one.

Out of curiosity, I looked at reviews on Progarchives. This album is currently the highest rated IQ album, with all but one review being 5 out of 5 stars. Not that that means anything here, of course, just found it interesting (right now, I'd not give it more than 3 stars, but I am starting to like it more).

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Out of curiosity, I looked at reviews on Progarchives. This album is currently the highest rated IQ album, with all but one review being 5 out of 5 stars. Not that that means anything here, of course, just found it interesting (right now, I'd not give it more than 3 stars, but I am starting to like it more).
    When I do get round to reviewing it, I think it will be 3 or 4 stars. It is very good, but certainly not their best to these ears.

For me Resistance is much better than Road Of Bones which I found very boring and one-dimensional album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Honestly, I think IQ peaked with Ever and Subterranea. I have the whole discography and I sympathize with those who are having a hard time finding strong melodies on Resistance. On the other hand, I like it better than Road of Bones or at least the main album of Road of Bones. I actually like the bonus disc better. For me, IQ will never top the first two albums, but I'm sure very few feel the same. IQ are probably more popular now than they ever were so I guess they must be doing *something* right.

Sadly I'm kind of in this boat too. OK, maybe I've heard it twice all the way through. Understandably there's a lot to absorb, but with this album, as well as its predecessor Road of Bones, I'm finding it hard to like them. There are no melodies that linger, nothing that sticks in my brain. I'm going to go back and keep trying with both of them, but I think I might be taking IQ off my auto-buy list. They lost something very important when Martin left, and I am noticing it big time. I will keep trying, though!
    same here. i found RoB to be boring and repetitious and the samples i've heard off the new one sound way too similar.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Honestly, I think IQ peaked with Ever and Subterranea. I have the whole discography and I sympathize with those who are having a hard time finding strong melodies on Resistance. On the other hand, I like it better than Road of Bones or at least the main album of Road of Bones. I actually like the bonus disc better. For me, IQ will never top the first two albums, but I'm sure very few feel the same. IQ are probably more popular now than they ever were so I guess they must be doing *something* right.
    ^^^THIS

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    same here. i found RoB to be boring and repetitious and the samples i've heard off the new one sound way too similar.
    Samples might not do it justice, since there are two 20 minute songs, and another that clocks in at ~15 minutes.

I think “The Great Spirit Way” is one of their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^^THIS
    Not.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Samples might not do it justice, since there are two 20 minute songs, and another that clocks in at ~15 minutes.

I think “The Great Spirit Way” is one of their best.
    Yeah, "The Great Spirit Way" is surprisingly... eh great. I really enjoy that one.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I usually start the CD1 from Alampandria (sp?) onwards and it's a great ride! Love it.
    But those first songs are way too riff-based and idk what, didn't click with me so far, it's one huge wall of sound.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    I usually start the CD1 from Alampandria (sp?) onwards and it's a great ride! Love it.
    But those first songs are way too riff-based and idk what, didn't click with me so far, it's one huge wall of sound.
    Same here. In fact, I have the vinyl version and last night I was so turned off by the first couple tracks (all of side one), I couldn't take anymore. But it does get better after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yeah, "The Great Spirit Way" is surprisingly... eh great. I really enjoy that one.
    Yep! I listened to that yesterday on the way home from work. Classic epicness

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My favourite disc is disc 2. Fallout stands out on that disc.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-10-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Same here. In fact, I have the vinyl version and last night I was so turned off by the first couple tracks (all of side one), I couldn't take anymore. But it does get better after that.
    I got this release for Christmas and I've been listening ever since.........there is much use of different/alternative structures than previous creations.
    I'm getting a better feel for all the songs now and I don't hear anything dislikable -- much of it is very good -- also hear some Genesis from time to time.
    Are the longer songs comparable to AWAKEN ? mmmmmm maybe not...........a big threshold, that one.

I waited and waited and finally gave in. Good not great. About what I expected. It will get spins but isn't something that rises to the top of their catalog. Glad I bought it.