Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: IQ new cd(s) details announced!

I'm surprised at the lack of commentary on a new IQ album!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Resistance will be here next week. I really don't listen to a lot of Neo or Symph anymore but IQ will always be an exception for me.

I once had a conversation with Peter Nicholls at a 3RP festival in Pittsburgh about how imo he had the best enunciation and articulation of any prog band singer I've ever heard, and I still feel that way. He appeared humbled & a bit embarrassed. It's rare when you don't need the written lyrics to understand every word.
    I feel exactly the same way.

And I didn't know you were at the 3RP festival when IQ played there. I was there too! I wish I had gotten to meet you then. But man, IQ put on a heck of a show didn't they?

I thought It Bites were incredibly good also.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I feel exactly the same way.

And I didn't know you were at the 3RP festival when IQ played there. I was there too! I wish I had gotten to meet you then. But man, IQ put on a heck of a show didn't they?

I thought It Bites were incredibly good also.
    Ah s**t! That IS too bad. I was out in the parking lot between bands a lot, and during the course of the weekend actually shared a bit w/Messrs. Beck & Dalton of It Bites.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Resistance will be here next week. I really don't listen to a lot of Neo or Symph anymore but IQ will always be an exception for me.

I once had a conversation with Peter Nicholls at a 3RP festival in Pittsburgh about how imo he had the best enunciation and articulation of any prog band singer I've ever heard, and I still feel that way. He appeared humbled & a bit embarrassed. It's rare when you don't need the written lyrics to understand every word.
    Nichols is an example of a singer who has steadily improved over time. I have always liked his voice, but on some of the early IQ stuff he would get off key live quite a bit, and even in the studio his voice get a little sharp / flat on some songs. Today, I think he is a fantastic vocalist and it is true that he does enunciate to the point where you can clearly hear what he is singing.

I have ordered the new album, but it has not arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always liked his voice, but on some of the early IQ stuff he would get off key live quite a bit, and even in the studio his voice get a little sharp / flat on some songs.
    Hell, on a lot of those early performances you were lucky if he even made it through the entire gig! I've never known a singer so prone to catch cold when touring. Except maybe Jon Anderson.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hell, on a lot of those early performances you were lucky if he even made it through the entire gig! I've never known a singer so prone to catch cold when touring. Except maybe Jon Anderson.
    I never had the chance to see IQ until NEARfest brought them over to the U.S. in the 90's, so the early gigs were not on my radar other than live recordings.

Listen to Fall Out again, last song on disk two, I'm sold on it. Big payoff near the end of the 20 minute song. IQ's answer to Awaken (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Listen to Fall Out again, last song on disk two, I'm sold on it. Big payoff near the end of the 20 minute song. IQ's answer to Awaken (IMHO)
    My main issue with the 2 epics on disc 2 is that, despite very strong sections, neither of them have the big payoff at the end that I'm used to expecting from IQ. They also have very few recurring themes throughout, which is usually something that the band excel at. Listening to Without Walls from the previous album for comparison makes it obvious, as that one ticks all the boxes for me.
    And before I give the impression that I don't like the new album, I do think it's very solid but those 2 epics are the weaker spot.
    All of this IMO of course.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 11-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I never had the chance to see IQ until NEARfest brought them over to the U.S. in the 90's, so the early gigs were not on my radar other than live recordings.
    IQ played Nearfest in 2005 The first ever Nearfest was 1999. Does seem much longer ago though, I agree.

Only one listen so far, but I like it. I am starting to feel like Nichols sings the same melody on every song though, but I love his voice these days so I can get past that. Need more listens to really decide if I love it or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    IQ played Nearfest in 2005
    ...and in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    ...and in 1999.
    Now see, I wasn't at that one, so I didn't remember that. Damn it! Oh well, can't be right all the time, lol.

Now see, I wasn't at that one, so I didn't remember that. Damn it! Oh well, can't be right all the time, lol.
    I think it was their second US appearance, but I was at a show they played in San Jose on 2/19/94. And surprise, Nicholls was fighting a cold that time as well. I just think in the early days he tended to overreach in the studio versus what his voice could deliver on the road. He learned from about the time of Ever how to write vocal parts that were in his range but also not overtaxing live. Geddy Lee did the same thing around 1980.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    https://www.gep.co.uk/index.php?opti...ponent&acm=_57

Looks like more vinyl options are on the way, as well as a vinyl edition of the Dark Christmas album!
    Just received the Yellow Vinyl Dark Christmas EP this afternoon on the Left coast of the USA! Signature Required! Hope you have someone at home to sign for it!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

IQ played Nearfest in 2005 The first ever Nearfest was 1999. Does seem much longer ago though, I agree.
    Yup, I was at both.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Exactly what I'm hearing (and loving). An homage more than an answer?

Thought you IQ fans might appreciate my small tribute to a band that continues to make great music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nothing profound to add but I picked up Resistance and it's da bomb! Some really classic tunes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Nothing profound to add but I picked up Resistance and it's da bomb! Some really classic tunes.
    I honestly can't stop listening to it. It's been over a month now.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    I honestly can't stop listening to it. It's been over a month now.
    Ditto

I have this new CD playing in my truck & after a couple listens I'm favoring disk 2 over 1.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I have this new CD playing in my truck & after a couple listens I'm favoring disk 2 over 1.
    I particularly enjoy the 4th track on the 2nd disc the most.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I got it a few months ago and labored through it one time. Haven’t revisited it yet since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I got it a few months ago and labored through it one time. Haven’t revisited it yet since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly I'm kind of in this boat too. OK, maybe I've heard it twice all the way through. Understandably there's a lot to absorb, but with this album, as well as its predecessor Road of Bones, I'm finding it hard to like them. There are no melodies that linger, nothing that sticks in my brain. I'm going to go back and keep trying with both of them, but I think I might be taking IQ off my auto-buy list. They lost something very important when Martin left, and I am noticing it big time. I will keep trying, though!

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Sadly I'm kind of in this boat too. OK, maybe I've heard it twice all the way through. Understandably there's a lot to absorb, but with this album, as well as its predecessor Road of Bones, I'm finding it hard to like them. There are no melodies that linger, nothing that sticks in my brain. I'm going to go back and keep trying with both of them, but I think I might be taking IQ off my auto-buy list. They lost something very important when Martin left, and I am noticing it big time. I will keep trying, though!
    I’m sure I will try again eventually. I enjoy IQ a lot and really want to like this.