Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Switzerland's progressive rock appreciation thread

Banned

Switzerland's progressive rock appreciation thread

i would like to start this tread with the band Island that has become legendary!

Patrick Moraz
    Steamboat Switzerland
    The Young Gods

Have to admit I do not know any current Swiss progressive rock bands but the progressive Jazz scene is fantastic!

Schnellertollermeier, Ikarus, nik Bartch just to name a few.

Above all:

below all: Mr Hauskins' band: Dream in flames
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    i dare think that you'll find this remastered version of Clepsydra's "Tuesday Night" quite fascinating

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Have to admit I do not know any current Swiss progressive rock bands but the progressive Jazz scene is fantastic!

Oh yeah !

btw - did'nt Etienne Conod /Sunrise Studios record some Swiss essentials ?

My favorites from Switzerland are basically Island and Blue Motion. Island Pictures is a particular favorite, actually one of my top Prog albums from any country. I have Pyrrho, but I probably need to spend some more time with it, I can't recall much from it just now. The Blue Motion disc is extremely solid, wish they'd done more.

I have Circus Movin' On. I like it, but it doesn't really live up to its reputation for me. I also have three Sonar albums, of which my favorite is probably Static Motion.

That's all I've got from this country, I'll sample what comes up to see if anything catches my fancy.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by michello View Post
    i dare think that you'll find this remastered version of Clepsydra's "Tuesday Night" quite fascinating

No, I don't find Clepsydra very fascinating, Svetonio. But thanks for returning so soon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Circus Movin' On. I like it, but it doesn't really live up to its reputation for me.
    Movin' On by Circus is alright, but nothing really outstanding IMO. Unlike Island's Pictures, which is a truly unique expression melding VdGG, Gentle Giant, Egg and Magma.

Etienne Conod produced a couple of excellent titles in his Sunrise studios in Kirchberg, like Kedama and the amazing Debile Menthol records.

There were a handful of perhaps not-so original yet listenable groups such as Rumplestiltskin, Flame Dream and the somewhat dodgy Welcome,a true Yes-clone.

During the 80s there were Debile-offshoots Nimal and L'Ensemble Raye, the latter whose Meme En Hiver, Comme un Pinson dans L'Eau battles a bit with Island's Pictures as the finest Swiss for me.

Newer acts are Steamboat Switzerland, Thønk, Stephan Wittwer and the darkness of Alboth!, who are highly influenced by IQ, Steven Wilson, Neal Morse and Michael Bolton:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

Hell yeah. Akku Quintet, Sonar, Sha's Feckel.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    quartet Dawn hails from Montreux that is more known for its prestigious jazz fest than due to the city's progressive rock bands. it's not that fair actually

How about Flame Dream?
    Not sure if Irrwisch would be considered as progressive rock.

OP: It's a crazy good record, and one that skipped my radar, at the time. But trust me on this: We don't care about "prog" here. That concept is alien to a musical society that fancies itself peculiar, and dadaistic. We care about our neighbours, and stuff. Please don't get me wrong, though: We are proud of TOAD. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJM...OMK_bQ&index=4

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    We don't care about "prog" here. That concept is alien .... Please don't get me wrong, though: We are proud of TOAD. .
    You Swiss cheese-head, you!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You Swiss cheese-head, you!
    Not once, and I'm here for ten years, have I seen cheese with holes in it !

I cannot imagine Swiss prog without alphorns and büchels...

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-08-2019 at 05:53 AM.

I will try, honestly, to explain this, and hope I don't regret it later:

Here, in Switzerland, the adjective "progressive" is a non-sequitur. We don't need or want to feel forward-thinking, because the alternative is to be backwards, and that's simply not an option.

And now I shut up, and offer COTTONWOOD HILL. (Yeah, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3nepy_SkwM

Not once, and I'm here for ten years, have I seen cheese with holes in it !
    ()
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My favorites from Switzerland are basically Island and Blue Motion. Island Pictures is a particular favorite, actually one of my top Prog albums from any country. I have Pyrrho, but I probably need to spend some more time with it, I can't recall much from it just now. The Blue Motion disc is extremely solid, wish they'd done more.

I have Circus Movin' On. I like it, but it doesn't really live up to its reputation for me. I also have three Sonar albums, of which my favorite is probably Static Motion.

That's all I've got from this country, I'll sample what comes up to see if anything catches my fancy.

Bill
    Island kinda creeped me out so I never bought their stuff.

I’m with you on the Blue Motion disc though. I really like that one. Bought the Belle Antique mini LP reissue some years ago, and it’s lovely package.

What is it with Swiss prog bands and the piano? I find that so many Swiss prog bands—and I’m thinking of Blue Motion, Dragonfly, F____ D____ and Rumple Stiltzken Commune in particular here—have such excellent piano playing. Is there something in that Swiss Alpine spring water?

Worth mentioning: Sicher. A very obscure example of chamber-prog that is really quite nice, albeit featuring a wholly unnecessary version of Bach’s “Toccata & Fugue in D Minor” (did they really think we needed another version of that dead horse?).

Also: Eloiteron, who never really did much for me (kind of reminds me of Ekseption minus the classical-rock shtick), but lots of folks seem to love ’em.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Not sure if Irrwisch would be considered as progressive rock.
    To my ears, In Search Of is early neo-prog. I can’t speak for the others, because I was so put off by ISO (oh, that singer!) that I never bothered to pursue them further.

And now I shut up, and offer COTTONWOOD HILL. (Yeah, of course).
    It’s campy as Hell but I still totally enjoy Cottonwoodhill. But all the cool kids know that Celestial Ocean is the Brainticket album to get. What a masterpiece that album is!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Patrick Moraz
    bluesy "Pale Sky" and uplifting "Basia" are from the only record of Pat's first band Mainhorse that were half-Swiss & half-English