Thread: Danish Recommendations? Prog, Psych, Electronic...

Danish Recommendations? Prog, Psych, Electronic...

I'm in Copenhagen for a few days, and there's a great record store down the street! They have an extensive section for Danish artists on vinyl, so I am looking to the PE collective for some essential recommendations.

Prog, Psych, Electronic, Ambient, Rock, Fusion...I don't have the space (or budget) to fly with a stack of records, so I think 5 or so will have to do. Late '60s through late '70s is the target here, but should you have favorites that reach beyond that time (all the way to 2019), feel free to list.

Thanks in advance...

-Randy

Have fun! Here are some potential options to look for that I enjoy...

Natdamperen - Boogieman Eats Frikadeller 1976
    Secret Oyster - any
    Ache - De Homine Urbano 1970
    Anders Koppel - Aftenlandet & Regnbuefuglen 1977
    Thors Hammer -s/t 1971
    Alrune Rod - Hej Du 1970
    Blue Sun - Blue Sun '73
    Dr. Dopo Jam - Entree 1973
    Made Vinding Group - Danish Design 1974
    Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144. 1969
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Tys Tys - fantastic band, not prog but definitely has a Robert Wyatt vibe- melancholic songs with some nice atmosphere, all albums are good (and pretty rare) but if I have to choose one I guess it'll be "Go get some"

Hey. Here's a fairly recent thread on this very subject - with lotsa information: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ht=Danish+prog

There's still a solid live-scene in Copenhagen (if not elsewhere in Denmark), sometimes sporting interesting acts - although I have to say that most such activity seems to take place in spring or autumn.

As for stores, I could only find the legendary Accord (which has moved). It's still excellent, if at times a bit pricey. But even younger employees there seem to be quite knowledgeable, especially on Danish rock.

Copenhagen is one of the great European cities, particularly for beers, girls and scenery. But the "progressive" phenomenon isn't exactly thriving anymore. The thread should give you a couple of fine tipoffs, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hey. Here's a fairly recent thread on this very subject - with lotsa information: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ht=Danish+prog

There's still a solid live-scene in Copenhagen (if not elsewhere in Denmark), sometimes sporting interesting acts - although I have to say that most such activity seems to take place in spring or autumn.

As for stores, I could only find the legendary Accord (which has moved). It's still excellent, if at times a bit pricey. But even younger employees there seem to be quite knowledgeable, especially on Danish rock.

Copenhagen is one of the great European cities, particularly for beers, girls and scenery. But the "progressive" phenomenon isn't exactly thriving anymore. The thread should give you a couple of fine tipoffs, though.
    Second Hand shops in Copenhagen where there is relatively more prog & jazz than in Accord, and slightly higher prices.

Beat-Bop Record Shop (has a facebook page)
    Peder Hvitfeldts Stræde 14, 1173 København

Sound Station https://soundstation.dk/
    Gammel Kongevej 94 1850 Frederiksberg (Copenhagen, København)

I would look for...

Kaabel -- hard to find LPs of a proto-band
    Mantric Muse

^ I only *heard' abou the SS when I was there last year, but I didn't get to go there. Great to see that they still exist at all, of course.

Until about early 90s you could of course buy immense treasures at Cristiania, but the Accord folks apparently took their business elsewhere by ca. 1992. When Fristaden was still up and running - old style - and I was there in '96, ther was very little music transaction going on. Obviously, at the time Accord had three or four stores in downtown Copenhagen.

I got albums by Samla, Arbete & Fritid, Kebnekaise, Kaipa, Burnin' Red Ivanhoe, Savage Rose etc. quite cheaply from Accord; all the old '68er classic radical stuff. And they shaped me. WOnderful days.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Have fun! Here are some potential options to look for that I enjoy...

Natdamperen - Boogieman Eats Frikadeller 1976
    Secret Oyster - any
    Ache - De Homine Urbano 1970
    Anders Koppel - Aftenlandet & Regnbuefuglen 1977
    Thors Hammer -s/t 1971
    Alrune Rod - Hej Du 1970
    Blue Sun - Blue Sun '73
    Dr. Dopo Jam - Entree 1973
    Made Vinding Group - Danish Design 1974
    Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144. 1969
    I've bumped the old thread, but I echoe Cozy's list
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I really like Coma - Financial Tycoon. A great Zapped Canterbury Kraut record.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Causa Sui - The Summer Sessions
    Excellent krautrocky instrumentals!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Olsen Bros!

Choir Of Young Believers (combines Kraut, pop, prog, orchpop etc.) is one of my favs from Danmark. Known from the intro and outro from the series The Bridge.
    For seventies-music I'd recommend Secret Oyster, a band that also produced a rare mix of styles.

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I had to make some hard decisions, as there was an extensive amount of great stuff at Sound Station in particular (very knowledgeable staff, highly recommended!), but I ended up with the following:

Culpeper's Orchard-s/t
    Secret Oyster-Sea Son
    Old Man & The Sea-s/t
    Ache-De Homine Urbano
    Alrune Rod-Hej Du
    The Savage Rose-s/t
    Choir Of Young Believers-Rhine Gold

"Rhine Gold" is a wonderful album; I'm sure you'll notice the many styles the band incorporates into an emotional whole.