Thread: Paolo Vinaccia RIP

Paolo Vinaccia RIP

That is really awful news - I loooooove his work in the trio with Arild Andersen and Tommy Smith - a really adventurous drummer with awesome technique. This is a real loss and a damn shame.

Here's an article about him with, under the circumstances, a rather unfortunate title.
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/very-mu...php?width=1280

His passing is suitably lamented in Norwegian newsmedia today. Vinaccia struggled against cancer for a whole decade before giving in; apparently he was never cleared of it, but kept activities at a high when shape allowed for it.

One of the great Norwegian drummers of his generation, along with Jon Christensen, Espen Rud and Jon Balke.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dammit.

This is very sad news indeed. I did not know that he had been dealing with cancer.

Despite my reservations about Tommy Smith (with whom I played once, when he was still a young teenager), I absolutely agree that the trio of Andresen, Vinaccia & Smith have recorded some outstanding records.

I own Paolo Vinaccia: Very Much Alive
    - its absolutely a must have if you like Rypdal and Ståle Storløkken (Elephant9)

^ Most jazz gigs here in Oslo have been cancelled for the weekend.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I heard he had been battling cancer for several years. I only know his work on the recordings mentioned here, being a Rypdal, and Arild Andersen fan. RIP

Fine drummer. This bit in his biography floored me:

"Started up playing in bars and clubs at the age of 10. Had to be presented as a dwarf to be allowed to gig."

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Here's an article about him with, under the circumstances, a rather unfortunate title.
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/very-mu...php?width=1280
    Thanks for sharing, Jake! For me, knowing Paolo (met a number of times, kept in touch fairly regularly), this was a particularly hard one. But he was the most positive guy in the world, and while that box set may seem unfortunately titled now, you may or may not know that it was released when he first was diagnosed with cancer and, for a period of time, it was very uncertain whether or not he'd make it. He ended up, after chemo and radiation did little to stop the advancement, doing his own research and coming up with a homeopathic treatment that put him into complete remission for nearly a decade.

So, when they released the box, it's title held a double meaning that's as applicable today as it was then. Whether or not he is in this mortal coil, he remains very much alive in the hearts and memories of those who knew him...and those who knew his music. That never dies.

So, RIP, Paolo...the answer to one of your many t-shirts, "Not Loud Enough"? Now, maybe a little quieter but still plenty loud!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Most jazz gigs here in Oslo have been cancelled for the weekend.
    He truly was loved by many...especially in Norway.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Banned
    Sad news indeed, but let's take care:

homeopathic treatment that put him into complete remission for nearly a decade
    It most certainly did not! Homeopathy often consists of literally nothing but a sugar pill. It is most certainly not based on science or any kind of evidence whatsoever and should never be applied to serious or life-threatening conditions. Reputable clinical studies of homeopathy have shown it to be no more efficacious than placebo. It was made up early in the 19th century by whack-job Samuel Christian Hahnemann and is a complete fabrication. A good way to sum it up:

"Therefore, according to everything we currently understand about biology, chemistry, and physics homeopathy is highly implausible and should not work. And, when we carefully study homeopathic remedies they in fact do not work."

- Science Based Medicine https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/homeopathy/

In 2017, NHS England recommended that GPs and other prescribers should stop providing it.

"There's been extensive investigation of the effectiveness of homeopathy. There's no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition."

- NHS England https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/homeopathy/

Sorry to get on my high horse, but this is a life and death matter and homeopathy can be deadly if substituted for actual medical care. I saw my own father die of cancer and grasp at straws.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    It most certainly did not!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I own Paolo Vinaccia: Very Much Alive
    - its absolutely a must have if you like Rypdal and Ståle Storløkken (Elephant9)
    I have been listening to this box for the whole week and just cannot have enough. What a killer set of live recordings! The first four trio gigs (Berlin '00, Sarajevo '01, Fredrikstad '02 and Sundalsøra '02) are ridiculously good, setting the bar very high, but then you move to Arendal '05 w/ Palle Mikkelborg and it is even better! And then there's half an hour Budapest trio improv on bonus disc, which is pure magic.

What a box!

[emoji106]

Sendt fra min BLA-L29 med Tapatalk