Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Devaluation of Music: Itís Worse Than You Think

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, this is true; it was a continuous downward spiral.
    I can see more positives in the passing decade compared to the previous two (and a half), which were cultural wasteland from my (admittedly limited) perspective. I have very little positive to say about my generation, the X one, comparing it to the Boomers or the Millennials.

Anyway, we live in a transitional period now when a new type of civilization is being born, hence it's quite fascinating to be able to observe its birth pains. Whatever we think of Internet's role in it and the aesthetic/politic/social aspect of the masses having their say in all its terrifying glory, one cannot deny that it's a huge step up from the consume-only model prevalent since the previous information revolution kicked off by Gutenberg's printing presses (which was equally frightening to its enlightened observers).

For the first time in the humankind the populations can access most information freely, utter their individual thoughts on a larger forum and interact with the people outside their comfort zone. It's a huge change and challenge for everyone, even the Millennials still grapple with it, however the next generations will adapt to the new modus operandi and reshape the world accordingly.

Hence instead of repeating Ortega y Gasset's grumblings about the revolt of the clueless masses, let's focus on our small music karass and help it fulfil its secret mission.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:19 AM.

Blame Rap music!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Blame Rap music!
    And the Accordion & Trump !

And here am I hearing how it was apparently all Phil Collins' fault.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And here am I hearing how it was apparently all Phil Collins' fault.
    Only when he plays the banjo !

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Blame Rap music!
    No, blame the educational reforms of the 70s and 80s, started in the US and then spreading across Europe like wildfire, which in a noble effort of making the school programs more palpable for the less talented (and in line with work marketplace demands) dropped the ball completely. As a teenager in the 80s I could observe how each year language/humanities textbooks got poorer and poorer, and whenever I would come across an old book from an earlier decade I just couldn't believe how sophisticated the teaching had been before.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I can see more positives in the passing decade compared to the previous two (and a half), which were cultural wasteland from my (admittedly limited) perspective. I have very little positive to say about my generation, the X one, comparing it to the Boomers or the Millennials.

Anyway, we live in a transitional period now when a new type of civilization is being born, hence it's quite fascinating to be able to observe its birth pains. Whatever we think of Internet's role in it and the aesthetic/politic/social aspect of the masses having their say in all its terrifying glory, one cannot deny that it's a huge step up from the consume-only model prevalent since the previous information revolution kicked off by Guteberg's printing presses (which was equally frightening to its enlightened observers).

For the first time in the humankind the populations can access most information freely, utter their individual thoughts on a larger forum and interact with the people outside their comfort zone. It's a huge change and challenge for everyone, even the Millennials still grapple with it, however the next generations will adapt to the new modus operandi and reshape the world accordingly.

Hence instead of repeating Ortega y Gasset's grumblings about the revolt of the clueless masses, let's focus on our small music karass and help it fulfil its secret mission.
    I also do see an improvement in general schooling and the fact that today's teenagers (even if only a minority) certainly seems more intelligent and active (in trying to change the world) than the 90's & 00's teenage dopes, more content on dumb/mindless consumerism. But I'm not sure the internet revolution is yet at a stage where the infant disease (the bad slips) are a story of the past, because I don't see the GAFA (and the other Asocial Networks not starting with a "f") as a positive development in human history. Because it's very rare that someone use their smartdumbphone to look up wikipedia, unless it's to priove the other guy wrong and belittle him.

Btw, though by my DoB, I shouldn't consider myself as a baby boomer, I feel much closer to it than that famous Gen X (to which I don't fit in either given that same DoB).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    And the Accordion & Trump !
    Well the accordion, for sure anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    No, blame the educational reforms of the 70s and 80s, started in the US and then spreading across Europe like wildfire, which in a noble effort of making the school programs more palpable for the less talented (and in line with work marketplace demands) dropped the ball completely. As a teenager in the 80s I could observe how each year language/humanities textbooks got poorer and poorer, and whenever I would come across an old book from an earlier decade I just couldn't believe how sophisticated the teaching had been before.

Absolutely...
    Though it started from a generous and inclusive idea, it doesn't work if the "attended to" want to remain assisted, because it takes less effort (mainly mental).
    Instead of levelling everyone by the top, the effect was more of a flattening by the bottom.
    Slow down the gifted to give a chance for the losers to remain loser.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Only when he plays the banjo !
    That's not a ukulele!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Because it's very rare that someone use their smartdumbphone to look up wikipedia, unless it's to priove the other guy wrong and belittle him.

Btw, though by my DoB, I shouldn't consider myself as a baby boomer, I feel much closer to it than that famous Gen X (to which I don't fit in either given that same DoB).

Probably worth pointing out here that Wikipedia is not a reliable source for pretty much anything. At least, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...eliable_source

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Probably worth pointing out here that Wikipedia is not a reliable source for pretty much anything. At least, according to Wikipedia:

I don't trust that link.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post

That was true some 20 years ago, when starting out...ßdidn't look up the link)

I still wouldn't trust Wiki to write un Post-doc thesis, but it's become +/- fairly reliable for the general public.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That was true some 20 years ago, when starting out...ßdidn't look up the link)

I still wouldn't trust Wiki to write un Post-doc thesis, but it's become +/- fairly reliable for the general public.
    The link was from Wikipedia and was last updated June 12, 2019. But now we have strayed too far off topic, which is entirely my fault, so I'll stop now.