Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELO in Tacoma

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

ELO in Tacoma

Saw the Jeff Lynne's ELO in Tacoma Friday night (6/28) and was wondering who else did.

It was a non-adventurous set. Great light show, Lynne was in fine form, a not-so-surprise guest on one song, wife and daughter duly impressed. It was only for 80 or 90 minutes and sounded like other concerts I've ever seen in the Tacoma Drone.

It was a very 70s-centric concert save for one song, the maudlin When I Was A Boy. It met my expectations and though I would have loved to hear some deeper cuts I'm glad I went, especially to see my 22yr old daughter enraptured by music I loved as a kid.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 07-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

He doesn't perform anything from Time anymore, does he?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Nope

Nothing from the '80s

Nothing from Zoom

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would love to see ELO play, missed them in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would love to see ELO play, missed them in the 1970s.
    Me too, though I'm majorly bummed that he skips over both Time and Secret Messages. The latter isn't the greatest thing they ever did, but I do like a few songs on that record, like Secret Messages itself and WHen Rock N Roll Was King.

But Time is still my favorite ELO record. THat's the one I'd love to hear played in it's entirety, though if Jeff was gonna do something like that, you know it'd be Out Of The Blue (also a great album) he would do.

I still wish he and Bev Bevan would bury whatever hatchet they have between them. Would be nice if they could get it together so that the surviving members of the classic lineup could do something together. I know Kelly Groucutt passed away, as has one of the cellists (actually, two of the cellists, Mike Edwards, and either Hugh McDowell or Melvin Gayle, I don't remember which), but I wish Lynne, Bevan, Kaminski and Tandy could do a tour together.

I know. It'll never happen.

Questions:

Who was the surprise guest?

You say it sounded like all the other concerts you'd seen in the Tacoma Dome. I've never attended a concert there -- is it as awful as I imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Saw the Jeff Lynne's ELO in Tacoma Friday night (6/28) and was wondering who else did.

It was a non-adventurous set. Great light show, Lynne was in fine form, a not-so-surprise guest on one song, wife and daughter duly impressed. It was only for 80 or 90 minutes and sounded like other concerts I've ever seen in the Tacoma Drone.

It was a very 70s-centric concert save for one song, the maudlin When I Was A Boy. It met my expectations and though I would have loved to hear some deeper cuts I'm glad I went, especially to see my 22yr old daughter enraptured by music I loved as a kid.
    I saw the tour last summer in Detroit. I enjoyed it. It is coming 45 minutes from my house this summer and I am going to skip it. Once was enough.

They played Twilight in the Wembley show that was released on BluRay recently - from 2017. Sounds like they don't anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Questions:

Who was the surprise guest?

You say it sounded like all the other concerts you'd seen in the Tacoma Dome. I've never attended a concert there -- is it as awful as I imagine?
    Dhani Harrison (George's son) was the warmup act. He came out and did Handle Me With Care as a guest singer.

The Tacoma Dome is an old sporting venue, with a concrete floor and all-wooden roof. Its earned a variety of nicknames like Tacoma Drone and Thunder Dome. The acoustics are great for motorcross and monster truck shows.

If they toured with that Wembley setlist I think everyone would be happy. I am going Friday and have mixed feelings. Going to an arena show where they play it all by the book is a bit dull and the safe setlist choices don't help. BUT I have been a fan since I was 12ish and Jeff was one of my first guitar/writing influences. ELO was my prog gateway drug. So it's bucket list. I hear the laser show is quite impressive.... It will make for a nice holiday weekend. That much I know.

We had tickets for the Tampa show on the 7th, but neither my wife and I felt like going. Listed them on ticketmaster and they sold within 3 hours.
    I hope whoever got them enjoys a great show.
    It would've been our first concert at the Amalie Arena in Tampa, since moving down here from Michigan all of our concerts have been at a small venue in Clearwater.
    Just didn't feel with dealing with all the unknowns, especially on a holiday weekend and a lot of DUI folks everywhere you look.
    Plus it's my b'day weekend and I would be the designated driver.
    Love both DVD's he's put out and I have his last solo effort on vinyl.

I wouldn't personally refer to When I was a boy as maudlin, I quite enjoy it.
    A song written in typical Jeff Lynne style, but as an older gentleman reflecting on a life.
    I didn't realize until I read the credits, Jeff played all the instruments on Alone in the Universe, and his daughter is given credits for background vocals as well.

Will sit back and enjoy a couple cold ones and watch the Live at Wembley concert on blu ray.
    (no hour plus drive home, no long bathroom lines, flat beer, someone too tall sitting in front of me and blocking my view, or having people talk too loud or viewing the entire show from the back of their cellphone). lol

Thanks for the review by the way.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It was a fairly well-behaved crowd with more people and the 35 and over age range than under. He did play one tune from the No Answer album, which I hadn't heard in a long time. I expected an emphasis on the bigger hits but it would have been nice to hear something from Balance of Power or Zoom. I think BoP and Secret Messages are underappreciated in the ELO canon. Time is a masterpiece. The only real problem with Zoom (IMO) is that it basically picks up where Armchair Theater left off 10 years prior. Just my two-cents, but if you're going to relaunch the ELO brand after 15years, spaceship and all, then you'd better put some Orchestra in the Electric Light.

How was Dhani Harrison?????????
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I wasn't bowled over or anything. He looks and sounds like his father, his music is more alt rock, kinda brooding. He was spot-on with the Wilburys song.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How was Dhani Harrison?????????
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I wasn't bowled over or anything. He looks and sounds like his father, his music is more alt rock, kinda brooding. He was spot-on with the Wilburys song.

and a song from his newly released album.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

and a song from his newly released album.
    ELO with real strings?

I was there. I sat in the front half of the dome a little up from the floor. The sound was fantastic there. Yeah. I could hear a little bit of slap-back coming from the back of the dome, but the closer you are to the stage, the less of an issue it is. I've been to a number of shows there in the last 3 years or so and always sat in the front half on the side and have never had bad sound. I think it's improved quite a bit from the '80s and '90s.

I thought Dhani did a great job, and I enjoyed most of his set. He does look and sound quite a bit like George.

I would like to see this show, but tickets are way too pricey. I have no doubt Jeff Lynne sounds great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Play any MOVE songs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Play any MOVE songs?
    Do Ya.....if that counts...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Play any MOVE songs?
    Yeah, that's exactly what an American arena concert audience wants to hear: songs by a band they've never heard of.

Seriously, most Americans have never heard of The Move. Even people who profess to like ELO don't know who The Move are, or only know them as "that band the ELO guys were in before ELO" or whatever.

So, it's not surprising Do Ya would be the only song from The Move that would be played during such a show, and even then, it's probably only because ELO had redone and had a hit with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what an American arena concert audience wants to hear: songs by a band they've never heard of.

Seriously, most Americans have never heard of The Move. Even people who profess to like ELO don't know who The Move are, or only know them as "that band the ELO guys were in before ELO" or whatever.

So, it's not surprising Do Ya would be the only song from The Move that would be played during such a show, and even then, it's probably only because ELO had redone and had a hit with it.
    too bad there's no style points in music appreciation

We saw another act there last year and yes, the closer to the stage the better. We were closer to the back for this one and were lucky to get those seats as we were late getting tickets.