Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magma _ Inedits

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I haven't recognized Sowiloï or kmx in any other pieces...

if someone has, please: which recording and wher/when.
    Maybe, I need to listen to the records again, but I had teh impression that Sowiloï was the quiet bit at the beginning of Theusz Hamtaahk, after the dramatic fanfare intro.

BTW, if you spend a lot of listening real closely to the music, you'll hear lots of motifs recur from one piece to another. For instance, there's a melody in Theusz Hamtaahk, just before the quiet bit near the end with the chanting in it, which also occurs in Kohntarkosz (near the end of Part one, before it goes into the piano arpeggios).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe, I need to listen to the records again, but I had teh impression that Sowiloï was the quiet bit at the beginning of Theusz Hamtaahk, after the dramatic fanfare intro.

BTW, if you spend a lot of listening real closely to the music, you'll hear lots of motifs recur from one piece to another. For instance, there's a melody in Theusz Hamtaahk, just before the quiet bit near the end with the chanting in it, which also occurs in Kohntarkosz (near the end of Part one, before it goes into the piano arpeggios).
    Yes, CV is re-using lots of ideas here and there. Wurdah Itah is partly Theusz Hamtaahk.

It always seemed like a huge work in progress, where all the motifs are blending into a single voicing upwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It always seemed like a huge work in progress, where all the motifs are blending into a single voicing upwards...
    I always took it to be a form of what Frank Zappa called conceptual continuity, where you're sorta linking everything together as one big meta-universe of a piece, with recurring motifs and such.

You guys ever heard Wagner? Vander is just using Leitmotive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I haven't recognized Sowiloï or kmx in any other pieces...

if someone has, please: which recording and wher/when.
    Check this melody here at 5:54

And listen to the same melody right here at 1:03

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You guys ever heard Wagner? Vander is just using Leitmotive.
    But if I remember correctly, Wagner would use leitmotif in the context of a single opera, or in the Ring Cycle or whatever. Vander seems to have motifs that pop up in unrelated works. If you said something from Theusz Hamtaahk cropped up in Wurdah Itah, or something from either of those appear in MDK, that would be leitmotif.

But to the best of my knowledge, the KA/Kohntarkosz/ER suite is a separate work, and as such things from the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy appearing in this context would be different from what Wagner was.

That's assuming I understand what Wagner did correctly, which I'm perfectly willing to accept I don't.

They're separate works but not unrelated - all of Magma's material belongs to a same Kobaïan universe (or cycle, as you will).

I'm not sure CV' cares much about specifically not circulating ideas/riffs/patterns in different tunes - he is a jazzmusician.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Check this melody here at 5:54

And listen to the same melody right here at 1:03

Yes, those seconds are pretty similar, allthough context and speed makes its sound different.

Those myths and Legend DVDs are well worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Those myths and Legend DVDs are well worth the money
    Indeed. Magma at their very peak.