Thread: Cirrus Bay - The Art of Vanishing

Cirrus Bay - The Art of Vanishing

For anyone interested, Our new album is now loaded on to Bandcamp. CDs will be available later this summer!

https://cirrusbay.bandcamp.com/

Got it! And whoa... so far, it sounds fantastic! Your albums just keep getting better and better with each new release! Love the acoustics, and the singer is superb as always. More to come as I listen more deeply...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Got it! And whoa... so far, it sounds fantastic! Your albums just keep getting better and better with each new release! Love the acoustics, and the singer is superb as always. More to come as I listen more deeply...
    Excellent! First bit of feedback Iíve had from anyone. Thank you 😊

Yaaaaaaaaay! Happy Day mate! I can't wait to listen to this.

Can’t wait to get this! Big fan from Atlanta!
    So much music....so little time....

Cool! I just added it to my wishlist so I can listen to it later today. Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Yaaaaaaaaay! Happy Day mate! I can't wait to listen to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Cool! I just added it to my wishlist so I can listen to it later today. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Thank you very much for the encouragement!! Hope you enjoy this one!

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Can’t wait to get this! Big fan from Atlanta!
    Thank you! I wish the physical cds were ready but hopefully the booklet will be worth the wait!

Glad you’re still releasing in CD format.....
    So much music....so little time....

I'm another who is glad for the CD format. got it on my must buy list and will await its release. never been disappointed by your art.

"The baggage that I carry would sink a thousand ships
    My motives are uncertain, intentions not altogether pure
    So now don't you want me beside you just like it was before? "

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Glad you’re still releasing in CD format.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    I'm another who is glad for the CD format. got it on my must buy list and will await its release. never been disappointed by your art.
    yes, I like the full packaging, looking at the lyrics, the importance of song order, all that stuff. Lee Gaskins did an incredible job with the artwork.

Listened to the first track. Sort of a cross between the more acoustic side of Genesis (the songwriting) and Renaissance (the vocals and general folkiness). I hear a bit of Yes and Beatles, too. Very much in the tradition, and well-done, particularly for a sub-genre that too often comes out half-baked. It's easy to copy the superficial features of many Seventies symph bands, but to approach the harmonic richness and melodic beauty of the best ones isn't so easy, and you accomplish it.

And Bill, you and Mark and the ladies need to start looking for other players to fill the band out and shoot for a slot in next year's Seaprog.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    yes, I like the full packaging, looking at the lyrics, the importance of song order, all that stuff. Lee Gaskins did an incredible job with the artwork.
    It was an honor (as usual).

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Listened to the first track. Sort of a cross between the more acoustic side of Genesis (the songwriting) and Renaissance (the vocals and general folkiness). I hear a bit of Yes and Beatles, too. Very much in the tradition, and well-done, particularly for a sub-genre that too often comes out half-baked. It's easy to copy the superficial features of many Seventies symph bands, but to approach the harmonic richness and melodic beauty of the best ones isn't so easy, and you accomplish it.

And Bill, you and Mark and the ladies need to start looking for other players to fill the band out and shoot for a slot in next year's Seaprog.
    Thank you for that! And that would be a ton of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-art View Post
    It was an honor (as usual).
    Well what a surprise Lee, didn't even know you were part of the ProgEars family!

Thank you for that! And that would be a ton of fun!
    Go ahead and make it happen, then. You've got about a year to work on it, and your music isn't that difficult - indeed, it's fairly straight-ahead for prog. Your type of dreamy, pastoral sound isn't often heard at Seaprog, so that would be a plus. You'd need three or four players - drums, guitar+bass (for when Mark is playing sax), and keyboards, or guitar, or both. The problem would be finding them, and either getting them to come out to Buckley to rehearse, or getting yourself inward to a more central location. I'd suggest talking to Dennis Rea, both to sound out the possibility of a booking, and to scout musicians - he knows lots of them, and could probably make suggestions.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I've thought of it in years past... yes a track like 'A Blossom of Hills' is pretty straight forward, more about melody and would be easy. Tracks like 'Unexpected Wonder', 'Gathering Clouds' and 'Dimension 7' are much more complex and would require a lot of practice to remember everything, and I'd definitely want to do stuff like that, especially at a venue where people appreciate that side. It would be something to present to the others, so we'll see...

Tracks like 'Unexpected Wonder', 'Gathering Clouds' and 'Dimension 7' are much more complex and would require a lot of practice to remember everything......
    You could get players who can read, and play the gig with sheet music. The jazz and classical guys do that, and no one thinks less of them because of it. People who know anything about Cirrus Bay - which at SeaProg would be most of the audience - would know that you, Mark, and the ladies are the "band", and the other players on stage would be newcomers or hired hands brought in for that performance.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-05-2019 at 11:49 AM.

You could get players who can read, and play the gig with sheet music. The jazz and classical guys do that, and no one thinks less of them because of it. People who know anything about Cirrus Bay - which at SeaProg would be most of the audience - would know that you, Mark, and the ladies are the "band", and the other players on stage would be newcomers or hired hands brought in for that performance.
    Yes true. I have to admit, I HATE writing out sheet music! I can do it but I don't like it

Well what a surprise Lee, didn't even know you were part of the ProgEars family!
    I'm been here for a few years. Don't post a lot. Cheers, and thanks again Bill.

Yes true. I have to admit, I HATE writing out sheet music! I can do it but I don't like it
    Well, you know what John Wayne and his dog said.

Tracks like 'Unexpected Wonder', 'Gathering Clouds' and 'Dimension 7' are much more complex and would require a lot of practice to remember everything, and I'd definitely want to do stuff like that, especially at a venue where people appreciate that side. It would be something to present to the others, so we'll see...
    But those tunes don't sound evil difficult, like Thinking Plague or some Crimson or even some of my stuff. Yes, there's a few key, mood, and meter changes, and they're a bit more up-tempo than some of your other music; but no extended tonalities or atonal passages, no hiccups in pulse, no blistering tempos, no stylistic jump-cuts. Really, they don't sound much harder than Camel, who are/were a bit like Floyd playing Genesis tunes. I think you might be over-estimating the challenge they'd give good readers, who aren't buffaloed by switches from 4/4 to 7/8, or changing keys from D minor to F# minor. I'm a lousy sight-reader, but I've worked with good ones, and if you can write it out clearly, they won't have much trouble.

Besides which, you have a recording. If you got the sheet music to them ahead of time, plus a mix CD of the tunes, and asked them "Please look at this, and try reading through it." there's lots of players who'd nail it pretty quickly.

But those tunes don't sound evil difficult, like Thinking Plague or some Crimson or even some of my stuff. Yes, there's a few key, mood, and meter changes, and they're a bit more up-tempo than some of your other music; but no extended tonalities or atonal passages, no hiccups in pulse, no blistering tempos, no stylistic jump-cuts. Really, they don't sound much harder than Camel, who are/were a bit like Floyd playing Genesis tunes. I think you might be over-estimating the challenge they'd give good readers, who aren't buffaloed by switches from 4/4 to 7/8, or changing keys from D minor to F# minor. I'm a lousy sight-reader, but I've worked with good ones, and if you can write it out clearly, they won't have much trouble.

Besides which, you have a recording. If you got the sheet music to them ahead of time, plus a mix CD of the tunes, and asked them "Please look at this, and try reading through it." there's lots of players who'd nail it pretty quickly.
    Oh yeah, compared to Thinking Plague, the rest of us are pretty much buffoons. They floor me! And you're right there's some great musicians out there that could handle it no sweat. even Mark follows my twists and turns with ease, like a road he's driven for years

Well, you know what John Wayne and his dog said.
    Don't leave me guessing!

John Wayne said, "A man's got to do, what a man's got to do."

His dog said, "A dog's got to doo-doo, what a dog's got to doo-doo." (Actually, he said, "Woof. Wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow. Woof. Woof. Woof." but that's what he meant)

John Wayne said, "A man's got to do, what a man's got to do."

His dog said, "A dog's got to doo-doo, what a dog's got to doo-doo." (Actually, he said, "Woof. Wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow. Woof. Woof. Woof." but that's what he meant)