Thread: Question for Audio engineers

Question for Audio engineers

Hey all...Question for any of my fellow audio engineers out there...I’m working with a vocal track that sounds fine by itself, but in the mix it sounds muddy. If I try to brighten it up with EQ, either by adding high end or removing low end, it starts to sound thin and harsh. If I try to soften that up with effects (reverb, delay, etc) it sounds boxy. No amount of EQ on the effect seems to help. I’ve never run into this problem to this extent before. Any suggestions?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

It's usually much better to start by cutting frequencies before trying to boost them. That is a general rule of thumb. Also, look at whatever else you have going on in the mix and cut frequencies that are occupying the same space as the vocals. Cuts should start by being subtle - no more than -3db. 300 ~ 400Hz is often a culprit, so start by cutting a little bit in that range.

Ever check out Graham Cochrane's "The Recording Revolution" on YouTube? This is a great resource!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...olution+vocals
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 06-29-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure if I've checked that out or not...I've probably watched hundreds of tutorial videos over the years...But I'll for sure check it out now! Can't have too much knowledge at your disposal!
    Thanks again!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I'm not sure, but perhaps you can do the equaliser on the instrumental parts and not so much on the vocals.

Thsts my plan for today! Thanks! 🙂

I have a really crazy suggestion if all else fails..redo the vocal track with a different mic.
    Or just do a couple of bars instead of wasting time doing the entire track over and compare to the original.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Solo the vocal track and make sure it was properly recorded.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Tweaking the attack and release for the compression on the vocal track can go a long way to making is sound less muddy.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Try an Aural exciter. boost at the midrange freq's (800-1300) see if that does the trick. You cant use it on everything, but Voice, you can.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I think I have finally gotten it fixed, thanks to a lot of creative suggestions from others and some perseverance.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net