Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Group & Orchestra

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Do I have to put Sventonio / Juba / daoubourg all on ignore, or does one ignore work for all of him?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Kayak's Merlin (Bard Of The Unseen version, 2003) is an insane piece of music.

Someone taking bets on how many Posts he can still do before being baned again?

Banned
    Metalized Symphonic rock at its best!

Banned
    I wonder why nobody mentioned Pain of Salvation's 'Be' since it's a Prog Metal masterpiece of group & orchestra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    how many before being banned again?
    Reminds me a bit of this one:

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This all Smaks of a familiar pattern.

This IS THE Group & Orchestra + Choir Standard:

https://youtu.be/usQem53fDH8
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Now THIS I agree with. Although when he put Oldfield's Telecaster into the midst of his own Star's End it came out unusually harsh and, well, rather bizarre. He composed more successful orchestral works, of course. And much of the orchestration he did for others was, as mentioned, one-of-a-kind; the strings to Edgar Broughton Band's "Evening Over Rooftops" are astoundingly effective, and Roy Harper's "Me And My Woman" elevates to schorching heights under wing of Bedford's string.
    I l o v e. star’s end
    Bought back in the day when i saw Oldfield and Chris Cutler were on it
    It was my first exposure to classical contemporary music at the tender age of 14
    Heh heh
    Those dissonant clusters

^ I was always more of a Rime of the Ancient Mariner man, Udi. Or Nurses Songs With Elephant. Or White Horse.

And I too got Star's End due to Cutler's participation, along with Bedford's association with the Canterbury scene back then.

I should revisit, but I suspect I'm still unprepared for that grotesque Telecaster attack in the middle of dense orchestral timbre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Star's End is quite good and as Mike Oldfield -fanboy I of course also love his part in this opus.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^r that grotesque Telecaster attack in the middle of dense orchestral timbre.
    grotesque ??
    to me it sounds heavenly

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    He's already the bane of PE.

The recent trend of group + orchestra has not been terribly successful in my ears. At least not for the bigger names that have tried it (Metallica and Kiss come to mind).
    But, it's been done right at times.
    Some of Elton John's orchestral additions have been very good (though those were added later to prerecorded tracks).
    Peter Gabriel's New Blood outing was terrific, but that was orchestra only, no rock band.
    I never have heard the Deep Purple track (Concerto for Group and Orchestra). Perhaps I'll give that a listen now.

Quote Originally Posted by daoubourg View Post
    Regarding Art Rock songs that featured a group & orchestra, Sir Elton John's early phase immediately come to mind. Thus, I would like to mention Sir Elton's songs The Greatest Discovery and The King Must Die, both from Elton John s/t LP from 1970, and Levon the song from his Madman Across the Water LP from 1971. I think that these songs are just perfect examples of group & orchestra apropos the early seventies' English Art Rock - thanks to London's composer, conductor, cello player and arranger Paul Buckmaster (RIP).
    Paul Buckmaster worked his magic over many of Elton's early albums and the songs you picked were great. A few more standouts are

If you can get past his tattered vocals, his Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra displays a group and orchestra recorded very well.
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-03-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Is that Rick Wakeman on the Hammond just before the 5 minute mark in Madman Across the Water? Paul Buckmaster is terrific. Another of his Elton John arrangements I like is Have Mercy on the Criminal. He also arranged the strings on Bowie’s Space Oddity, which I think brought him to Elton’s attention. He won a Grammy Award for best arrangement in 2002, for Train’s Drops of Jupiter. And he did a couple of film scores, including Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys. Worked with Miles Davis on his 1972 album In the Corner (with Corea, McLaughlin etc.), although the musicians supposedly reworked his arrangements a lot, despite Buckmaster being in the studio with them.

Paul Buckmaster also worked on Angelo Branduardi's debut, which also has Joel Vandroogenbroeck (Brainticket) on flute

Banco - Di Terra

Written as a unifying piece for 'orchestral rock group', rather than farting up already established songs or creating a monster hybrid r&r-versus-philharmonic junk.
    This has been in my rotation of late, and it is definitely one of the albums I will hold up as a paragon of “orchestral rock.” It is truly a magnificent work to behold; my only complaint would be that there’s not enough Francesco!

And, of course and absolutely obviously, that one Yes album.
    I was prepared to write this one off as a gimmick, particularly given the late date, but I was surprised to hear how inspired it was. Not a patch on their 70s work, but better than any of us expected for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yes, this is a great pairing. So great in fact that he did it two years in a row with quite different setlists. I have one of them as a bonus disc on Rundgren's "State" CD; the bonus disc is why I bought it! Somehow Metropole really understand these things and know how to arrange them properly.
    There’s also Nearly Human; a deliberately maximalist album with strings and brass done as a reaction to the Korg Workstation “band in a box” recordings proliferating at the time. Not prog, but I love it; one of his best albums with some of his finest songs. He was truly inspired to create something grand.

I find the worst effort in this genre is Deep Purple's "Concerto". I find it truly unlistenable, but I give them a break because they were innovators. On paper the idea was cool.
    It may be heresy to say so here, but DP truly sucked at the “classical rock” shtick. Only once they dropped all the arty pretensions and sallied forth as a straight-ahead heavy rock band did they begin to excel. Somewhat surprising, as isn’t Jon Lord classically trained? Why do Concerto and Gemini Suite suck so badly, then? Sarabande was good, but weren’t the band toast by then?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Days of Future Passed has some great moments
    And some pretty awful ones. Some of the orchestrations on that one are, as our friends across the pond are fond of putting it, extremely “naff.” Stuff like “Peak Hour” sounds like the kind of music you used to hear in the background of educational films and family restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't think they used an orchestra on those albums.
    The Enid were kind of the inversion of this; light neo-classical music played on “rock” instruments.

I think we have the answer to our question. Now I’m taking bets to see how many days before he pops up again in another guise.

shabby boy platt reaction.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Paul Buckmaster also worked on Angelo Branduardi's debut, which also has Joel Vandroogenbroeck (Brainticket) on flute
    I am quite fond of his work on Judie Tzuke’s Welcome to the Cruise album. Off-topic (but related to another thread), but he plays a sublime cello solo on Neil Ardley’s Kaleidoscope of Rainbows.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Is that Rick Wakeman on the Hammond just before the 5 minute mark in Madman Across the Water? Paul Buckmaster is terrific. Another of his Elton John arrangements I like is Have Mercy on the Criminal. He also arranged the strings on Bowie’s Space Oddity, which I think brought him to Elton’s attention. He won a Grammy Award for best arrangement in 2002, for Train’s Drops of Jupiter. And he did a couple of film scores, including Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys. Worked with Miles Davis on his 1972 album In the Corner (with Corea, McLaughlin etc.), although the musicians supposedly reworked his arrangements a lot, despite Buckmaster being in the studio with them.
    Yes, that's Rick Wakeman on Madman.

On the flip side - I love seeing classical music performed live & don't want pesky electric guitars infecting my Mozart. :P
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Saw the 1st of two shows tonight, Rick Wakeman with full orchestra and choir (plus rock ensemble) playing Journey to the Centre of the Earth for the last time (in the UK at least). It was magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Saw the 1st of two shows tonight, Rick Wakeman with full orchestra and choir (plus rock ensemble) playing Journey to the Centre of the Earth for the last time (in the UK at least). It was magnificent.

Just bought Stern Combo Meißen - Bilder einer Ausstellung (Pictures at an exhibition) The Rock Version Live, which is performed with an orchestra and a choir