Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Group & Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do I have to put Sventonio / Juba / daoubourg all on ignore, or does one ignore work for all of him?
    You can add this 'Waren' to the list. He's brand new here. Never been here before.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mats/Morgan live with Norrlandsoperan Symphony Orchestra

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daoubourg View Post
    Founded in Budapest in 1986, After Crying are an important band of *Chamber progressive* genre. A Gadarai Megszállott (The Fanatic Of Gadarai) is a 22-minute masterpiece from their sophomore album released in 1992:

At the beginning of this decade, in 2011, After Crying released a concept album in the best tradition of chamber-prog.

The album is titled Creatura (translated "Being") and sung completely in Hungarian.
    Last edited by agoston; 07-22-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Banned
    For the fans of chamber-prog, I'd like to recommend After Crying's album Show (from 2003) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You can add this 'Waren' to the list. He's brand new here. Never been here before.
    And wow, that "Agoston" sure posts a lot of YouTube clips of Eastern European bands!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    And wow, that "Agoston" sure posts a lot of YouTube clips of Eastern European bands!
    or should it be or even

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Hungary is Central Europe.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just doesn't get it...
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

So few clues. So much time.

...mind you, I really like After Crying.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Clearly the winner Days of Future Passed
    This is the best combination and perhaps one of the earliest
    this actually works
    What a fine album

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Clearly the winner Days of Future Passed
    Well, it's the one Moodies album I still keep pulling out on wanting to hear them. Gorgeous work, and it all does - 'work', I mean.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Just remembered a favorite of mine: Visitation by Pekka Pohjola. The orchestral swells on “Try to Remember” are just sublime!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Just remembered a favorite of mine: Visitation by Pekka Pohjola. The orchestral swells on “Try to Remember” are just sublime!
    That album has a special place in my heart. Bought it in Helsinki, during a travel through Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark. 'Try to remember' is a great track.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, it's the one Moodies album I still keep pulling out on wanting to hear them. Gorgeous work, and it all does - 'work', I mean.
    Its a mystery how In The Court is considered as the 1st Progressive album
    Days of Future Passed has set the template for Symphonic Prog
    and... In The Court brows and steals shamelessly here

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Days of Future Passed has set the template for Symphonic Prog
    and... In The Court brows and steals shamelessly here
    That's such a fascinating observation. Never thought of it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's such a fascinating observation. Never thought of it.
    have a listen to the album - there are specific moments that you can point out were KC took their ideas from

But this is merely a classic example of a retroactive taxonomy. Progressive rock - or what the term soon came to denote - was itself clearly at play before the debut KC; with groups who stretched the hitherto boundaries of so-called psychedelic rock to completely uncharted terrains as with Zappa/Mothers, Spirit, Kaleidoscope, Soft Machine, Touch, first two Family, Procol, The Nice and yeah, the Moodies indeed.

Truth be told, the reference to Future Passed did play a part in contemporary reviews of In the Court. You can read as much in the booklet to the Young Person's Guide to KC compilation as well as other places. I suppose some of the reason why the "first 'real' prog" tag stuck with In the Court is that it displayed more of certain traits, such as tight interplay, venomous riffing, improvisations and fantasy lyrics. Still, songs like "Epitaph" and the title track are directly rooted in Future Passed and Lost Chord.

Played the original Deep Purple album a few weeks back. It's just as ropey as I remember it being, with Blackmore's soloing being the only time it lurches into life for me. I find this direction a total cul-de-sac for them and I'm glad they didn't really pursue it. (Although there's also their version of Lord's Gemini Suite thing which came out decades later.)

I too am a big fan of Days Of Future Passed. Peter Knight later went onto arrange for the Carpenters.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do I have to put Sventonio / Juba / daoubourg all on ignore, or does one ignore work for all of him?
    I don't think we've had any more 'visitations' lately. Or have we??

The metropole orchestra conducted by Vince Mendoza with a tribute to Joe Zawinul. Pretty good imo but judge yourself and comment if you like to. With extra guests: Victor Bailey, Alex Acuna, Jim Beard, Peter Erskine and Amit Chatterjee. Nubian Sundance is a tune originally performed by Wheater Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

The metropole orchestra conducted by Vince Mendoza with a tribute to Joe Zawinul. Pretty good imo but judge yourself and comment if you like to. With extra guests: Victor Bailey, Alex Acuna, Jim Beard, Peter Erskine and Amit Chatterjee. Nubian Sundance is a tune originally performed by Wheater Report.
    They have worked with a lot of artists. There is also a concert with Steve Vai.