Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Allman Betts Band

The Allman Betts Band

I believe their album is officially released tomorrow the 28th. I’m guess reviews will run the gamut of good and bad. Has anyone here seen them live yet? I’ve seen Devon several times and he puts on an energetic show. Duane looks so much like his dad that it’s freaky. Following in the shoes of the Allman Brothers Band are incredibly big shoes to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Wow! That's a lot to digest. I love the ABB.

Oh wow, hadn't heard about this. Duane Jr, huh? Curious... I too love the ABB, but could this be anything close?? We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Oh wow, hadn't heard about this. Duane Jr, huh? Curious... I too love the ABB, but could this be anything close?? We shall see...
    Duane Betts , Devon Allman.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Duane Betts , Devon Allman.
    To clarify, in case everyone's still a little in the fog, Duane is Dickey Betts son, Devon is Gregg's son.

Duane Allman, had a daugter, I believe, named Galadriel.

Allman Betts played in Kent Ohio a couple months ago, I'd have liked to have gone, but it's tricky getting down there for those of us who don't drive.

They are coming pretty close to me, so I have also been curious about this.

They are playing in New Martinsville, WV tomorrow night for free. That is about 40 miles south of Wheeling, WV.

I've heard Devon's solo stuff and it just didn't gel for me. But this is pretty good:

Good to see the next generation keeping that sound alive and vital.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The drummer for this band is John Lum, he worked for our company for several years as a delivery driver and has always been a professional musician on weekends and evenings (absolute monster drummer btw). When John gave his notice that he was joining up with Devon Allman as a full time gig we were very sad to lose a valuable employee but also thrilled at the prospect his ship has arrived. They were doing very well as the Devon Allman Band but with the arrival of Duane Betts this thing has really blown up huge for all of them. Naturally the live gigs have a lot of ABB material thrown in (which they do a fantastic job with) but this is by no means a tribute band, Allman Betts is definitely it's own animal (although the apples don't fall far from the tree). It's great fun to see someone you know personally have a shot at success in showbiz.

It's probably worth mentioning that Berry Oakley jr is now their bass player.

I would highly recommend seeing them when you get the chance.
    Last edited by progholio; 06-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've heard Devon's solo stuff and it just didn't gel for me. ..
    That's my opinion as well. When I saw him, I really wanted to like it, but nothing hooked me. It was a little emotionless and everything was forgettable.

Have not heard him with Betts though.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I can't say I was ever bowled over by the ABB's stage presence in their latter years either. Derek Trucks, as great a guitarist as he is, was downright animatronic onstage. I think that the ABB's style of music is worthy of someone picking up the torch and who better than their offspring. Warren Haynes can't be everywhere at once (though he's given the old college try).

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

It's probably worth mentioning that Berry Oakley jr is now their bass player.
    I saw Berry play with Blue Floyd, a sort of Southern rock all star Pink Floyd tribute, back in the late 90's. The band was him on bass and vocals, Matt Abts from Gov't Mule on drums, Allen Woody from the Allman Brothers Band and Gov't Mule on guitar and mandolin, Marc Ford from the Black Crowes on guitar, and Johnny Neal from the Allman Brothers on piano. They did these sort of like straight blues/rock versions of Pink Floyd songs, was a really cool show. Wish I could find a tape of it.

I wonder if Berry still has his father's old bass. It was a Fender Jazz with a Guild pickup added to it. I read that at some point it ended up in Dickey Betts' possession, but then Dickey passed it onto Berry Jr. I remember being disappointed that he wasn't playing it when I saw him with Blue Floyd, but then, I guess I'd probably not want to travel with an instrument like that if I was on tour too.

Blue Floyd was great! I'm surprised they get such little mention here.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I like the Devon Allman solo stuff as well as his time with Royal Southern Brotherhood , he and Mike Zito were very good as the guitarists in that band. Devon is also a better than average lead singer in my opinion..

I’m looking forward to hearing this new band , some top notch people will be working together . Duane Betts can really play.

One more comment , I have heard a bunch of the Blue Floyd boots , a very cool and different take on Pink Floyd’s music.

I couldn't get into Devon's material either, but I like the ABB material better, what I've heard of it so far. I think Duane Betts is a much better guitarist
    than Devon, and has improved with time. He was great when he played with his dad's band, which I last saw in 2012 at the Marin County Fair.
    Berry Oakley, Jr.'s mom is Julia Negron, who was married to John Densmore, left him and took up with Berry Oakley. She was pregnant when Berry died
    on his motorcycle. She then married Chuck Negron, who was also a heroin addict. She's on Facebook. Anyway, I'm glad to see the offspring continue the
    tradition of writing and playing this style of music. Marcus King is the most exciting songwriter, guitarist, singer from the South currently, for me. Having my own Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West, would have no influence here, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Blue Floyd was great! I'm surprised they get such little mention here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    One more comment , I have heard a bunch of the Blue Floyd boots , a very cool and different take on Pink Floyd’s music.
    The thing that got me about Blue Floyd was finding out that Allen Woody could play guitar like that, ya know? When I first heard about the band, and I saw he was involved, I naturally assumed he was going to be playing bass, like with the Allmans and Gov't Mule. But then as the show starts, with this drone that leads into In The Flesh, I see Berry Jr come onstage with a bass, and I'm thinking, "Wait, what's Allen playing, then?". So then when Allen comes on a few seconds later, with a guitar in hand, I don't even remember what make and model he was playing, I'm thinking, "OK, he's playing rhythm guitar, right?" But then on about the second or third song, he and Marc Ford started trading solos back and forth. What a versatile musician Woody was!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Berry Oakley, Jr.'s mom is Julia Negron, who was married to John Densmore, left him and took up with Berry Oakley. She was pregnant when Berry died
    on his motorcycle.
    This is nitpicking, I know, but Berry didn't die on his motorcycle. If I remember correctly, he slipped head first into a bus, but got up and walked away, apparently without serious injury. Nobody knew anything was wrong until he started having a severe headache later that night. He was rushed to hospital, where it was learned he had a fractured skull, but by then, there was nothing they could do about it.
    She then married Chuck Negron, who was also a heroin addict.
    He was one of the original guys in Three Dog Night. I'm sure you know that, but there was more to the guy than merely being "a heroin addict". I saw a program on him on cable TV back in the 90's, about how he got himself thrown in jail in San Francisco or someplace like that, the day before the band was supposed to perform at the LA Forum, I think it was, and the band's manager had to charter a plane to retrieve him from SF in time for the gig. I think he said he had to perform the show with his eyes shut, because he gotten banged up, either in a some kind of fight, or a car accident, I forget which.

Then he was talking about how, after he got kicked out of Three Dog Night, he reached a point where he took all of his gold and platinum records to a pawn shop, to hock them, to pay for his drug habit. Apparently, it took him something like 20 years to get cleaned up.

Then I saw him on Intervention. Apparently, his son and grandson were also addicts, and I guess they were trying to get the two of them straightened out also.

Marcus King is the most exciting songwriter, guitarist, singer from the South currently, for me. Having my own Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West, would have no influence here, of course.
    Well, I don't know that much about what's going on in "Southern music" these days, but probably about 15 years ago, I saw the North Mississippi All Stars open for Gov't Mule. THey sounded like a really good band, and I have the impression Luther Dickinson gets a lot of praise for what he does. But you remind I need to pick up some of their albums, because except for that one concert I really haven't hear much of their stuff.

Watched/heard a couple tracks on YT. Nothing has really knocked me over about them. But glad they're out there producing southern rock.

The North Mississippi All Stars are also another great band. Not only is Luther a great guitarist, but his brother Cody, the drummer, is also a great guitarist.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I Marcus King is the most exciting songwriter, guitarist, singer from the South currently, for me. Having my own Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West, would have no influence here, of course.
    Big Marcus King fan here. I saw him open for Umphrey's McGee a few years ago and he was fantastic. UM let him come out and jam with them later in the show which was also very cool A few months later King came back to town for a solo headline gig which I also attended. Much smaller crowd and I got to stand literally a few feet away from the guy. He is a killer player, singer, and writes great material. I can't imagine that anyone into the Allmans, or blues based southern rock / jam music would not also really enjoy Marcus King too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The North Mississippi All Stars are also another great band. Not only is Luther a great guitarist, but his brother Cody, the drummer, is also a great guitarist.
    I got to see Luther live when he was briefly a member of The Black Crowes. Amazing player.

I bought the new ABB CD. Despite mixed reviews I saw online, I still went forward. I thought the Youtube clip sounded decent.

They can still be called the ABB.

Listening to Hittin' The Note today. I reach for that album a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    They can still be called the ABB.

Listening to Hittin' The Note today. I reach for that album a lot.
    One of my favourite ABB album.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought the new ABB CD. Despite mixed reviews I saw online, I still went forward. I thought the Youtube clip sounded decent.
    It’s hard to go by reviews. I remember a quote that went it’s easy to be a critic just say everything sucks and you’ll never be wrong. Sometimes I think that the way critics think. The only thing that really matters is whether you like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Devon.....I think the CD is just ripping good.