Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zappa Orchestral Favorites 40th 3 CD release

The Royce Hall has never been issued before? I took the chance to destroy music forever and listened to Revised Music on Spotify and it is absolutely stupendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The Royce Hall has never been issued before? I took the chance to destroy music forever and listened to Revised Music on Spotify and it is absolutely stupendous.
    I think only a couple chunks on various things.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I think only a couple chunks on various things.
    Orchestral Favorites (and some of the same stuff on Läther), one bit of the improv included in "Easy Meat" from Tinsel Town Rebellion (the "free jazz" breakdown about three minutes in), another section of the improv as "Hermitage" in One Shot Deal, "Rollo" in Quadiophiliac. I think that's it.

While waiting for August 30, I am listening now to the original. The album does not have such a great reputation for some reason. On PEdro's Dowry I am most certain that I heard some harp playing, but no harp player is credited there. Anyone knows what's going on?

While waiting for August 30, I am listening now to the original. The album does not have such a great reputation for some reason. On PEdro's Dowry I am most certain that I heard some harp playing, but no harp player is credited there. Anyone knows what's going on?
    L.A. Philharmonic harpist Lou Anne Neill was on harp.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    L.A. Philharmonic harpist Lou Anne Neill was on harp.
    thank you - although she's not credited in the sources I am checking (I don't have the record).

thank you - although she's not credited in the sources I am checking (I don't have the record).
    The record never had full credits and various Zappa scholars have done a lot of digging to determine exactly who played at the shows. Lou Anne Neill has personally confirmed that she was the harpist.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If Rollo from Quaudiophiliac is from Royce hall, then the credits are lacking on that release, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If Rollo from Quaudiophiliac is from Royce hall, then the credits are lacking on that release, too.
    The zappa.com promo text says that the new release "includes proper musician credits for the first time." I guess we'll find out if they have inside information, or are helping themselves to the research by Zappa scholars that Mister Triscuits mentioned (which is fine with me).

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo (come on, look at the cover!) will not do.

I would suggest Burnt Weeny Sandwich.
    Yeah...might as well add the other guitar albums as well...Guitar & Trance-Fusion.

And the London Symphony Orchestra sets.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The zappa.com promo text says that the new release "includes proper musician credits for the first time." I guess we'll find out if they have inside information, or are helping themselves to the research by Zappa scholars that Mister Triscuits mentioned (which is fine with me).
    If you and Biffy and Ulrich don't know, nobody does.

Based on the recs in this thread I've ordered me some Yellow Shark.

If you like Yellow Shark, you'll want Everything Is Healing Nicely.
    With both of those, there are spoken word pieces I skip over.

Did something go wrong with this release? Here's the e-mail I got from Amazon this morning:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Frank Zappa "Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Did something go wrong with this release? Here's the e-mail I got from Amazon this morning:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Frank Zappa "Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.
    Still available for preorder on Amazon US and through zappa.com. Amazon Canada may have made a pricing mistake; expect to see it back at a higher price.

Still available for preorder on Amazon US and through zappa.com. Amazon Canada may have made a pricing mistake; expect to see it back at a higher price.
    Ahhh, that could be - although it was on par with the average prices I saw on other sites. I wasn't getting any kind of a deal, I don't think.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

There is a Facebook post from Ralph Humphrey mentioning a possible release after this of a 4 CD set of the Chicago Halloween 1973 shows (same band as the Roxy).

There is a Facebook post from Ralph Humphrey mentioning a possible release after this of a 4 CD set of the Chicago Halloween 1973 shows (same band as the Roxy).
    Definitely in for that, too. Keep ‘em coming!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Definitely in for that, too. Keep ‘em coming!
    Indeed!

There can't be too many archival Zappa releases, IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Multitrack live recording like Roxy? Yes please.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Ok, long-time Zappa avoider here seeking recommendations. His discography is beyond huge so guide me to something that will impress me. Here’s my criteria:
    I don’t like brass.
    I don’t like Frank’s goofy ‘ironic’ voice.
    I like stuff like Occam’s Razor.
    I like most modern classical.
    I have Hot Rats and One Size Fits All, from which I enjoy the non-brass and non-goofy voice tracks, about 50% of the records.

So, will I enjoy the collection being discussed in this thread? If so, what else. If not, what?
    If you like his guitar playing, I suggest you get an album called Guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Multitrack live recording like Roxy? Yes please.
    I'm guessing it will be from a four-track as I don't think FZ's tradition of recording the Halloween shows multitrack started until later. Should still be entertaining.

Weird, as price at Burning Shed was (and still is) £14.99, excl. VAT, so total w/ shipping is £20.93, so about $34 CAD, vs Amazon.ca, which is listed at $48.05 CAD, but then, even with free shipping I have to add 13% HST (our VAT), which brings the price up to a whopping $54.30 - a full $20 more expensive!!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Weird, as price at Burning Shed was (and still is) £14.99, excl. VAT, so total w/ shipping is £20.93, so about $34 CAD, vs Amazon.ca, which is listed at $48.05 CAD, but then, even with free shipping I have to add 13% HST (our VAT), which brings the price up to a whopping $54.30 - a full $20 more expensive!!
    Yeah, but you get to live in Canada.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Indeed!

There can't be too many archival Zappa releases, IMO.
    7-CD Wazoo box tentatively scheduled for 2022...