Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Gaming / MMORPG

All things Gaming / MMORPG

Hi ProgHeads! Are there any other gamers here? I've gamed off and on for years, starting like many of us in the arcade and then migrated home with consoles and now with PC games. Lately I've been strictly MMORPG gaming with active toons on both Star Wars The Old Republic and a return to the private City of Heroes servers. Over the years I've dabbled in the entire Doom franchise, WoW, and a few other FPS.

What are others playing? Anyone listening to video game music? Am I the only 58 year old gaming nerd alive?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

MMORPG and music... great topic!

I'll chime in: would like to share an amazing track for EverQuest II's game zone named Pillars of Flame. Definitely prefer to listen to original music while playing so it's better be that good.

"The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very low key gamer, I have a PS4 with

Madden 18
    Gran Turismo
    Witcher 3
    Red Dead Redemption II
    Destiny
    Uncharted
    Shadow Of Mordor
    Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare

To be honest most of these games are too tough for me to get too far in. The top 4 are the ones I play the most.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    MMORPG and music... great topic!

I'll chime in: would like to share an amazing track for EverQuest II's game zone named Pillars of Flame. Definitely prefer to listen to original music while playing so it's better be that good.
    I do the same, listen to original music unless the score is awesome.

Very low key gamer, I have a PS4 with

Madden 18
    Gran Turismo
    Witcher 3
    Red Dead Redemption II
    Destiny
    Uncharted
    Shadow Of Mordor
    Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare
    Nice list! I played original Call of Duty and a few of the follow-ups, but that was years ago. I have RDRII on my want list and would love to explore the Witcher series after having seen the series on TV, and now reading the books.

Cool thread!

I've got a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch (and a bunch of older consoles packed away in the closet). Lately I've been playing the following:

Picross
    Dragon Quest XI
    Pokemon Sword
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Destiny 2
    Persona 5 Royal
    Trails of Cold Steel (and others in the series)
    Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
    Octopath Traveler
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    The Wonderful 101

Huge fan of JRPGs in case that wasn't obvious, and a dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fan. Good to see some other folks here who are into gaming.

In terms of music, The Wonderful 101 has a phenomenal soundtrack. Some really epic stuff in there. The game's great too!

The eons are closing
    ThrakAttaKc was my fave music to game to; especially on shuffle.

Right now -
    Returnal (roguelike - aliens meets groundhog day)
    No Mans Sky

prior -
    Skyrim
    Wolfenstein
    Destiny o.g.
    Ark: Survival Evolved
    Minecraft

prehistoric -
    Quake 1 thru 3:Arena
    Doom 2
    Half Life (and mods)
    Sid Meier's Civilization

Java based + tabletop games (think AvalonHill)
    http://www.wargameroom.com/downloads.htm

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'm not one for systems, but you said "all things gaming" -- so I'll come out here as a big fan of tabletop games, RPG and board both. I've been playing RPGs (starting with the original, three-pamphlets-in-a-box, version of Dungeons and Dragons) with the same group since 1977. People come, people go, but the same core of three have been there since 1978.

Of course, COVID brought it all to a screeching halt; we tried ZOOM gaming but it didn't work very well. So we're beginning to look at getting it going again soon...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Right now -
    No Mans Sky
    Returnal is the one game that's making me want a PS5. I'll probably get one eventually, when it's actually possible to find one.

I've got No Man's Sky on PS4, and that is really cool too. It's impressive how far they've come since when the game first launched.

I played Half-Life and Half-Life 2 back in the day, when it first came out. HL2 in particular was a major achievement in gaming for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm not one for systems, but you said "all things gaming" -- so I'll come out here as a big fan of tabletop games, RPG and board both. I've been playing RPGs (starting with the original, three-pamphlets-in-a-box, version of Dungeons and Dragons) with the same group since 1977. People come, people go, but the same core of three have been there since 1978.

Of course, COVID brought it all to a screeching halt; we tried ZOOM gaming but it didn't work very well. So we're beginning to look at getting it going again soon...
    Wow man, that's really cool you've had the same core group since '78! Seriously, really cool. That's a special kind of thing to have. I hope you guys are able to get back to gaming soon.

I still have an old PS2. Never play anymore but I have Grand Theft Auto 3, Tiger Woods Golf, and some snowboarding and mountain bike games.

I have an ancient, Windows XP PC and play the original Doom and Duke 3D once in a while. That's about it for me.

ThrakAttaKc was my fave music to game to; especially on shuffle.

Right now -
    No Mans Sky

prior -
    Skyrim
    Wolfenstein
    Destiny o.g.
    Ark: Survival Evolved
    Minecraft

prehistoric -
    Quake 1 thru 3:Arena
    Doom 2
    Half Life (and mods)
    Sid Meier's Civilization

Java based + tabletop games (think AvalonHill)
    http://www.wargameroom.com/downloads.htm

Doom2 was my jam back in the day. I just downloaded and played through a version earlier in the year. Still a great FPS. Civilization was also a fave and I may just try to jump back into that one as wedll.

Same here. Bought the books about the same time you did and played through young adulthood (85 or so). That led me to PC gaming.

The eons are closing
    I have my 1st editon AD&D players guide, DM guide and original Monster Manual too [emoji106]

Graduated to Avalon Hill games (e.g. UpFront, KingMaker, We the People) and other more modern takes too (Dominion, Twilight Struggle)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All I know is, the makers of Fortnight need to be taken to court! They're taking advantage of all the kids who play it with their limited-time, in-game purchases! Bastards.

The eons are closing
    Fortnite is so passé amongst the cool gamers - its like PC manufacturing - a race to commoditization - even I, an uncool gamer, have not played it in over 10 - 11 months...

I have my 1st editon AD&D players guide, DM guide and original Monster Manual too [emoji106]

Graduated to Avalon Hill games (e.g. UpFront, KingMaker, We the People) and other more modern takes too (Dominion, Twilight Struggle)

Love, love, love Dominion. I only have three of the sets tho.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Fortnite is so passé amongst the cool gamers - its like PC manufacturing - a race to commoditization - even I, an uncool gamer, have not played it in over 10 - 11 months...

Well, I have a 12-year-old who plays it, although fortunately he doesn't play it that often anymore. But he says hardly anyone plays it anymore. But he did today, and wanted $20 to buy a freaking skin for his character. Those skins are the biggest ripoff ever devised to prey upon kids, but I guess it's their Wacky Packages, Magic - The Gathering, etc. Outrageously expensive though, they should be ashamed of themselves. Get off my yard!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Love, love, love Dominion. I only have three of the sets tho.
    I have been "in" on Dominion since the beginning, late 2009 or so.

Have the first 7 boxes (thru Adventures) but IMO they are killing the golden goose here (e.g. unneeded 2nd edition crap) and now releasing subpar expansions.

I always play a randomized game using all 7 boxes. My 14 year old plays too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not really the same thing at all, but throughout the pandemic we've been having family game sessions on Jackbox.tv connecting Newcastle UK, Boston MA & Truckee CA. Simply fun family games.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I used to like playing Lineage and World Of Warcraft. There was no way I could compete with teenagers who could play for hours. WoW seemed to need at least 3-4 hours for some activities. That was too much of a commitment. I did play some Diablo 3 last winter, but I have other things to keep me busy these day.
    <sig out of order>

I wish I could play D&D just once but it's pretty much a nerd-free zone around here in Redneckistan.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wish I could play D&D just once but it's pretty much a nerd-free zone around here in Redneckistan.
    You see a Troll.
    It kills you.

There, you played once!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not really the same thing at all, but throughout the pandemic we've been having family game sessions on Jackbox.tv connecting Newcastle UK, Boston MA & Truckee CA. Simply fun family games.
    We've done that few times too. It's a lot of fun!

The eons are closing
    Any Slay The Spire players here?

Turn based deck building randomized roguelike game.

Info here:
    https://www.megacrit.com/

I really dig new retro styled games -- a few I've gotten recently, Slipstream, which is a 90s styled arcade racer ala crusin usa or daytona usa, and Infernax, which is a 2-d metroidvania style game with some pretty punishing difficulty even on easy mode
    also vampire survivors is another favorite, a very basic but addictive game, also castlevania inspired
    lastly is Tunic, basically the original legend of zelda sorta graphics, but dark souls sorta style gameplay, and youre a fox.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Also check out this nice little video essay I watched recently about the influence of prog rock and ELP specifically on video game music

https://youtu.be/55B1V-72msY
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    i have not gamed with others in ages. i need to get back into guild wars 2. i have a bunch of old gaming books in the garage now. one is in the house with me called mercenaries, spies and private eyes.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"