Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Caravan Box Set November 2020

30 CD Caravan Box Set November 2020

Found this on the Canterbury Scene on Facebook:

65307397_2473958939335383_8191028101245829120_n.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

29 CDs including 8 previously unreleased live shows from 1972-2017 plus all offcial albums up to 2013's Paradise Filter
    DVD of live foot from French TV
    Signed photo with signatures from Pye, Richard and Dave
    Coffee Table Book detailing the history of the band with rare and exclusive memorabilia and photos
    Replica Posters
    Canterbury Street Map
    Replica Tour Program
    Exclusive Fanzine plus more
    November 2020
    madfishmusic.com
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Very interested. Not sure what else to say at the moment.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    dang
    dang x 2. Because Caravan are one of the very few bands where I own every single official release. On LP* and CD. But I would absolutely love a few additional live releases.

* My LP's end with Back to Front.

Good on them for getting a little additional income from the back catalog, but as I already own all their albums... I can't see buying them again. I have several live albums already. Do I need more? Would I listen to them more than once?

I hope Mike Sary gave permission for his material to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    bada BAM!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

If I may, would you care to elaborate? I'm not aware of it. Thanks!

I am not keen on Madfish' strategy of bundling a few rarities with all commonly available material in a big box. I passed on their Wishbone Ash, Steve Hillage and Streetwalkers boxsets, because I am not such a big fan to buy the full core discography just to get a handful of archival live discs. I picked Family BBC set though, because it was limited to radio sessions and live sets and I could justify re-buying part of that stuff.

However, if the upcoming Caravan and Gentle Giant boxes follow the same strategy, I'll most probably bail out again.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-24-2019 at 06:11 AM.

I too have all of the back catalogue, plus numerous BBC and Live releases.
    There may be slim pickings unless they are substantively better sounding than the current crop.

BTW, the Wishbone Ash boxed set has superior masterings on just about all of the studio albums, and the live additions are mostly worthy too.

I love a box set and if done properly (e.g. Steve Hillage), they are aching of beauty to treasure forever.

I would be very interested in a Caravan set as although I have a lot of vinyl and CD's, to have this as a consistently presented whole catalogue appeals. I only just pick up the Land Of Grey And Pink limited edition clear vinyl, I'll probably never need too play it, as I have my original plus several CD's, but it was a compulsion to not leave a beautiful limited edition in the record stories racks.

Sorry if I missed something, that's the guy from French TV, ain't he? What is his connection to Caravan?

Would love those live CDs, but I will not spend hundreds of bucks on stuff that I already own.

I will never understand why this rare stuff things always come in bundels with regular stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Sorry if I missed something, that's the guy from French TV, ain't he? What is his connection to Caravan?
    None whatsoever - it was just a joke referring to the "DVD from French TV", which is literally that, rather than anything to do with the US band French TV.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    None whatsoever - it was just a joke referring to the "DVD from French TV", which is literally that, rather than anything to do with the US band French TV.
    Got you, that was a clever joke. I just totaly missed that...

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    BTW, the Wishbone Ash boxed set has superior masterings on just about all of the studio albums, and the live additions are mostly worthy too.
    I'd be interested to pick a couple of live sets from Wishbone Ash' early years, but not at the full box price tag. I'd rather wait for their complete BBC boxset, which is rumoured to be in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Good on them for getting a little additional income from the back catalog, but as I already own all their albums... I can't see buying them again. I have several live albums already. Do I need more? Would I listen to them more than once?
    same here really

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    29 CDs including 8 previously unreleased live shows from 1972-2017 plus all offcial albums up to 2013's Paradise Filter
    DVD of live foot from French TV
    Signed photo with signatures from Pye, Richard and Dave
    Coffee Table Book detailing the history of the band with rare and exclusive memorabilia and photos
    Replica Posters
    Canterbury Street Map
    Replica Tour Program
    Exclusive Fanzine plus more
    November 2020
    madfishmusic.com
    hopefully, there will be a lot more on DVD than a French TV show (which I'm not sure I saw)

and TBH, I'd be more interested in pre-72 unissued material - like a good filmed concert in 1971 or the lost album between If I Could and In The Land

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Got you, that was a clever joke. I just totally missed that...
    didn't even realized it was a joke until next post read
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

and TBH, I'd be more interested in pre-72 unissued material - like a good filmed concert in 1971
    Do we know that such a thing exists?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Do we know that such a thing exists?
    not likely, I was mostly being sarcastic.
    Aymeric should be able to answer that much better than me, but....
    All pre-72 BBC sessions that have survived and German TV appearances have already been available on Hux Records or assimilated (and the TV show on YT, anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There does seem to exist footage from the Steve Miller era, although I've personally never seen any. There is also a chance that some footage from Amougies (possibly including the jam with Zappa on "If I Could Do It...") has survived, although there was none in the released films from the festival.

I don't know what you mean by a "lost album" between If I Could and In The Land - they started recording the latter not long after they'd finished the former.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

For the record, fo rme, this boxset might be worth getting as I only got around to getting a handful of the remasters that came out about 15 years ago or whenever it was. I have Waterloo Lily, For Girls..., Cunning Stunts (which I also have on vinyl...the other LP I have is Blind Dog...), Live With The New Symphonia, and I've got two other live things from around that time, one being a BBC In Concert disc on Windsong (remember those?) and I believe the title of the other I have is Live At Fairfield Hall or something like that?

So, it seems like the box will plug a lot of holes in my Caravan collection. I imagine, though, it won't have the bonus tracks that were on the remasters.

So, it seems like the box will plug a lot of holes in my Caravan collection. I imagine, though, it won't have the bonus tracks that were on the remasters.
    My GUESS, since this is Madfish, is that it will be like the Hillage box on Madfish and it WILL include all the bonus tracks.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Some of those bonus tracks were excellent.

There was that one from If I Could Do it All Over Again with the great riff in the middle and the organ solo--was it "Day in the Life of Maurice Howlett" or something like that?

Then there was the sketchy poppier version of Aristocracy from the In the Land of Grey and Pink sessions, and I Don't Know It's Name (The Word). I like that song as much as Winter Wine, I think.

For the record, fo rme, this boxset might be worth getting as I only got around to getting a handful of the remasters that came out about 15 years ago or whenever it was.
    Mastering-wise they generally seem to be doing an excellent job. Wishbone Ash box has been widely praised sound quality-wise and Family's At the BBC set I purchased has a spectacular remastering, especially given the varied quality of source tapes. It blows the old (and compressed) Hux and Mystic editions out of water.

Live With The New Symphonia, and I've got two other live things from around that time, one being a BBC In Concert disc on Windsong (remember those?) and I believe the title of the other I have is Live At Fairfield Hall or something like that?
    I got rid of Live w/ the New Symphonia, a rather poor performance IMO, and apart from the double-CD BBC stuff I have: Live at Fairfield Hall '74, BBC Live in Concert '75 and Surprise Supplies '76. All excellent. And then there's also Live UK Tour '75, which has never come across my hands.

I am not sure if I need any more Caravan live sets from the mid-70s period though. Thus if Madfish hope to convince me to splurge on the upcoming box they'll need to dig out a solid bunch of earlier live recordings. They should really contact that guy from French TV and ask him to search his attic.