Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Caravan Box Set November 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    "I Don't Know It's Name (The Word)". I like that song as much as Winter Wine, I think.
    I certainly prefer it to "Golf Girl." Hastings's tenor solo is hip.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I am not sure if I need any more Caravan live sets from the mid-70s period though. Thus if Madfish hope to convince me to splurge on the upcoming box they'll need to dig out a solid bunch of earlier live recordings. They should really contact that guy from French TV and ask him to search his attic.
    Agreed. It would have to be 1970-73 era live stuff (without an orchestra, please!). I've got all the live discs you mention. Fairfield Halls is stupendous and UK '75 close behind--but I don't need any more from that era.

I am curious about the DVD. There have been some excerpts from French TV up on Youtube for several years. But not enough to make a satisfying DVD. So I'm guessing/hoping they've been digging in vaults to find something more complete. That could ultimately be the deal-maker here. The early lineups have so little on film, compared to Soft Machine, Camel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    It would have to be 1970-73 era live stuff (without an orchestra, please!).
    It was quite surprising to me how badly the orchestra gig had turned out. On paper it looked like a good match, especially if you consider how many progressive bands had tried it before, but for some reason it was a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've got all the live discs you mention. Fairfield Halls is stupendous and UK '75 close behind
    My fave is BBC Live in Concert from March 1975, with Dave Sinclair still in the band. Absolutely relentless performance; they were on fire throughout the set!

And then I think I'd give the nod to Surprise Supplies taped in London in May 1976, because it featured a refreshed setlist that worked really well live.

Jan Schelhaas had been already on UK Tour '75 (from December), so I'd be curious to hear if he had any impact on the numbers well-worn on their 1973-75 tours w/ Dave Sinclair. They did not seem to rotate their setlists too much in those years, did they?
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-24-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I am not keen on Madfish' strategy of bundling a few rarities with all commonly available material in a big box. I passed on their Wishbone Ash, Steve Hillage and Streetwalkers boxsets, because I am not such a big fan to buy the full core discography just to get a handful of archival live discs. I picked Family BBC set though, because it was limited to radio sessions and live sets and I could justify re-buying part of that stuff.

However, if the upcoming Caravan and Gentle Giant boxes follow the same strategy, I'll most probably bail out again.
    If the book was sold separately I would be incredibly happy to purchase it. I did end up getting the Hillage set, but at some point with these box sets, it's all too much...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    at some point with these box sets, it's all too much...
    That's why you need to be picky and buy only the stuff you'd actually listen/return to.

I dig a lot well-curated boxsets filled with unreleased (live) archival bounty. In that respect Art Zoyd's and Henry Cow's live retrospectives were probably the best I ever bought, followed by that Progglådan monster documenting Swedish radio sessions in the 70s. The German jazz festival boxset series released by B.Free! was no slouch either and now we have the upcoming monumental Woodstock documentary. That's the stuff I always have money for.

However, when it comes to a more narrow field artist/period-wise I become harder to please. A string of (same set-list) shows from a single tour by Dylan ('66 or '75), YES ('72), Grateful Dead ('72) or King Crimson? I say no (unless it is John Coltrane) and pick individual shows/compilation releases instead.

Mega-boxes that bundle everything at hand together, add a few rarities and get slapped with a hefty price tag, like most Madfish releases? I usually say no, thank you. For similar reasons I passed on Pink Floyd mega-box, I just could not convince myself to pay so much for a bunch of DVDs, BBC sessions and some scraps of other live material (only the first volume was worth its price).

However, if it is a well-curated box of some legendary concert sequence, e.g. Hendrix at Winterland, Zappa at Roxy/Palladium, Allman Bros at Fillmore East, Velvet Underground at Matrix, Humble Pie at Fillmore, Van Morrison '73, a few sets by Grateful Dead, Phish at Hampton, Gov't Mule in Georgia, Coltrane at Village Vanguard, Jarrett at Blue Note, Rollins/Cherry at Village Gate, Anthony Braxton in Europe '03, Vandermark 5 at Alchemia, etc, I am all in.

Same for multi-tour/year collections, preferably featuring entire performances, like Dylan '79-81, Grateful Dead '73-74, Weather Report '78-81, Family/Fairport Convention at the BBC, Miles Davis official bootleg series, Pentangle, Fläsket Brinner, Chicago, William Parker, Lambchop, Björk as well as some euro-bootleg live retrospectives on SoundStage (Patti Smith, Tom Waits, Lou Reed, CSN&Y, etc).

I have managed to balance things out I think, although the recent increase of such releases makes it harder and harder to keep up with the inflow of recordings. The key point is to properly evaluate what you will actually listen to (more than once) vs what you primarily want to have on your shelf, and stick to the former.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-26-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Hi all, first time poster. Pye and his son Julian are friends of mine. Julian is doing all the work on the recordings and he told me he is remastering the studio albums and doing a remix of Paradise Filter. Just as a point of interest for me, he is including the last Trading Boundaries show which I was at.

Pye for his part is really excited about the project, probably because Julian is doing all the work. But they are putting a lot of care into the various extra bits that will be in the set--finding lots of old paraphernalia. My understanding is that this will be a limited edition with only 2000 copies.

Also, there is going to be another boxed set coming out later this year put out by Decca/Deram. They are basically reboxing all the classic albums in a nice package, and if you don't have them, it would be a nice boxed set. But it's not the same one that Caravan is working on.
    https://www.loudersound.com/news/car...ween-1970-1975

Quote Originally Posted by s24man View Post
    Also, there is going to be another boxed set coming out later this year put out by Decca/Deram. They are basically reboxing all the classic albums in a nice package, and if you don't have them, it would be a nice boxed set. But it's not the same one that Caravan is working on.]
    A thread is ongoing for that one also. :-). https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/24362-9-CD-Caravan-Box-Set-September-2019

Quote Originally Posted by s24man View Post
    Julian is doing all the work on the recordings and he told me he is remastering the studio albums and doing a remix of Paradise Filter.
    Awesome! Please tell Julian to please not over-compress the mastering or use any noise-reduction.

Anyone know what the current status of this box set is, was it delayed?

madfish doesn't have any mention of it on their website...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Any news on this?

Cunning Stunts is under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Any news on this?
    According to the bands web site it was delayed because of the pandemic and is now planned for March.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    According to the bands web site it was delayed because of the pandemic and is now planned for March.
    Thanks alot!

Unless I'm confusing, there is another boxset project foreseen, apparently from Snapper Records

One of the dudes was writing to me
    The reason I'm writing to you is - of course - Caravan. We are working hard on a boxset, which will span the more than fifty-year career.

.... .....

Well, for the boxset the band (i.c Snapper records) would like to have the best possible copy/print of the two photos. And there may be rights associated with using the photos. In short, the question is: can you help us with information about your source(s)?
    Issue of the boxset is planned for coming March. Part of the project is to present as many video footage especially from the sixties and the seventies. May be you have some suggestions conc french tv - archives and retro broadcasters in France?
    I don't think at this stage the date of March is realistic, unless they mean 2022.

ymeric, you can expect Jasper to contact you soon enough.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Snapper Records
    I'd love to see that logo.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'd love to see that logo.
    https://www.discogs.com/label/5723-Snapper-Music
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapper_Music

They've got +/- the profile for it, but I wonder how they get the rights... and how Jasper is linked to that asking little ol'moi for legal issues without Hastings & Co being involved. especially two to six weeks before the announced release date, though (provided it's late March)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

From the Caravan FB page:

"Big announcement tomorrow re boxset!"

So there's that!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jeez, this thing is a beast!

...the full list of contents is as follows:

• 16 NEWLY REMASTERED STUDIO ALBUMS & 4 OFFICIAL LIVE ALBUMS
    • 11 DISCS OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED CONCERT RECORDINGS
    • ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME 48/24 STEREO & 5.1 MIX BY STEVEN WILSON OF IN THE LAND OF GREY & PINK
    • DVD INCLUDING RARE FOOTAGE FROM THE MARQUEE 1971, ROCK EN STOCK 1972, BATACLAN 1973 & FRENCH TV PERFORMANCE 1981
    • INDIVIDUALLY SIGNED PHOTO BY THE THREE SURVIVING MEMBERS PYE HASTINGS, DAVE SINCLAIR, & RICHARD SINCLAIR
    • 144 PAGE HARDBACK COFFEE TABLE BOOK FEATURING RARE PHOTOGRAPHS & MEMORABILIA
    • A4 FAN CLUB MINI BOOK FEATURING ARCHIVE ARTICLES & AN UP TO DATE INTERVIEW WITH PYE HASTINGS
    • A4 REPLICA TOUR PROGRAMME FOR BLIND DOG AT ST DUNSTANS
    • 'FOR GIRLS THAT GROW PLUMP IN THE NIGHT’ REPLICA PRESS PACK
    • CARAVAN’S TRIP DOWN MEMORY LAIN MAP OF CANTERBURY
    • ILLUSTRATED FAMILY TREE
    • 2 REPLICA POSTERS
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have very little Caravan so this is mostly new product for me. Seriously considering this.

Madfish (via Burning Shed) $365.83. If you want a autograph of the guy who authored the enclosed book....add $100.00 (so, $465.83)

Now....this BRICK weighs 12 Pounds! Shipping ain't gonna be cheap! To the West Coast of the USA is gonna set you back another $54.24.

The Cheapskate edition to my door - $420.07

Checked ImportCD and they also have a Pre-order - $364.39 (a $1.44 savings!) The Shipping will be much cheaper ($12.99) BUT WA State Sales Tax is $32.08 bringing up to a total of $409.46. I have been a longtime customer of ImportCD but recently, their Pre-Orders go strait to Back-Orders....then an eventual refund.

I would tend to go with Burning Shed on this one....at least you know you'll get it.

This may be one of those "you snooze, you loose" situations. There will only be 100 premium editions....and 2500 Cheapskate editions worldwide.

I'm gonna wait to see if Laser's Edge is gonna chime in with an offer.....Prefer that vendor over the others.

I have no inside info on this release......Google was just my friend.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

lots of useless stuff (memorabilia & co-) and discs I'm not ever likely to play.... And the Montreux (footage Miller/Waterloo days) recently discovered is not cited and the bloody Blue Ray (at least the videos will be on DVD). Not to mention the Nottingham 1990 filmed concert also absent.
    The killer almost-dealmaker is that all of the disc will be cardboard only (at least from what's shown in the preview) and this time including their debut.

they did not mention the naked for girls original idea, though I provided them the B&W version (they actually asked me if it was free of rights, too) late last year (via Aymeric a few years back) - so hopefully they'll show it.

=============

Anybody wants to buy a little used cardboard-only boxset featuring everything from If I until Stunning and the Friars gig?
    caravan.jpgcaravan.jpg
    Last edited by Trane; 05-27-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This may be one of those "you snooze, you loose" situations. There will only be 100 premium editions....and 2500 Cheapskate editions worldwide.
    That seems unlikely. It takes years to shift expensive box sets. The Steve Hillage box of six years ago was a 'mere' 200 quid plus shipping, and has only recently sold out in most of the usual places. There's still a copy over at Wayside if you waited too long, and I suspect Steve will get this one too. The Caravan set may have more interest, but the price is higher too, so it'll likely be a couple of years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I have very little Caravan so this is mostly new product for me. Seriously considering this.

Madfish (via Burning Shed) $365.83. If you want a autograph of the guy who authored the enclosed book....add $100.00 (so, $465.83)

Now....this BRICK weighs 12 Pounds! Shipping ain't gonna be cheap! To the West Coast of the USA is gonna set you back another $54.24.

The Cheapskate edition to my door - $420.07

Checked ImportCD and they also have a Pre-order - $364.39 (a $1.44 savings!) The Shipping will be much cheaper ($12.99) BUT WA State Sales Tax is $32.08 bringing up to a total of $409.46. I have been a longtime customer of ImportCD but recently, their Pre-Orders go strait to Back-Orders....then an eventual refund.

I would tend to go with Burning Shed on this one....at least you know you'll get it.

I'm gonna wait to see if Laser's Edge is gonna chime in with an offer.....Prefer that vendor over the others.

I have no inside info on this release......Google was just my friend.
    Sounds like Ken will be stocking it

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    That seems unlikely. It takes years to shift expensive box sets. The Steve Hillage box of six years ago was a 'mere' 200 quid plus shipping, and has only recently sold out in most of the usual places. There's still a copy over at Wayside if you waited too long, and I suspect Steve will get this one too. The Caravan set may have more interest, but the price is higher too, so it'll likely be a couple of years at least.
    Conversely the Gentle Giant set sold out two runs pretty quickly. I would assume Caravan’s profile to be at least as high. Perhaps Steve Hillage had a larger run, it is one of the best box sets I own. I may be tempted by this one, I have plenty of Caravan but by no means everything.