Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Caravan Box Set November 2020

Looks like an amazing set if you love everything Caravan's done over the entire range of their career. I'll stick with my Decca/Deram years box (with CD version of the debut album squeezed in) because they kind of lose me after Cunning Stunts.

Not buying but perhaps the most interesting item here is that Marquee 1971 footage. September 1971 with early versions of Waterloo Lily songs...was Dave Sinclair still there then?

Now taking preorders (is there an echo in here?)

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-spc-1129.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ken and Steve: You guys need to have a price war! Or start offering a piece of Laser’s Edge or Wayside cookware with each preorder for this. Whoever I order from, I love you both!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

I don't know why it never occurred to me before when I would see the release of a giant box set by an artist that I love, but if I bought this, there's zero chance that I would live long enough to listen to/watch/read even 2/3 of what's in the box! I'm glad now I didn't spring for the Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, King Crimson or Gong boxes. Not to mention the cost or how much room they take up. Now, if I was a well-off guy in my 50's in good health, sure...

Ach! Who can pass up a good pre-order? Done!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Looks beautiful, but not for me. I own 23 of these discs already (plus about 10 on vinyl).

I am very intrigued by some of the live sets though. Video of Marquee 1971!!? Audio from 1983, again at the Marquee. I was just flipping through a CD booklet of some band they were all standing in front of the marquee at the Marquee with the 1983 Caravan show advertised. I wondered whether there might be a recording of that show. Now I know. Anyone else see that picture in a CD booklet? I wish I could remember what band it was.

One thing: Isn't 2,500 an ambitious number for a set this expensive? I did notice Caravan are doing a UK tour for this set. I wonder how many they might expect to sell at the merch table?

On the fence with this one, as it is quite expensive proposition. Have most of the albums other than the new live titles there. Wish I knew this box is coming out, as not too long ago invested in the not too cheap 7CD box - The Decca/Deram Years (An Anthology) 1970-1975. 5.1 mix would be certainly enticing but then why is it only a single album, granted very good one but hardly justifies the expense.

Already have a few of these boxes but it seems the prices are getting steeper every time a new one comes out. There are probably next ones in the pipeline too: VdGG, Camel and more.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Hey all, sorry I've been away, but I'm working hard to finish the Crimson book, and don't have a lot of time for much else. That said, I'm planning to review the Caravan box (35 CDs, 1 dvd, 1 Blu ray), as I expect to be handing in the first draft to Panegyric by end of July.

I'm really looking forward to this box, as I've got about 50% of what it has (not including the books). So watch out for another mega-box mega-review in the week leading up to the August 20 street date.

Cheers!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    BTW, the Wishbone Ash boxed set has superior masterings on just about all of the studio albums, and the live additions are mostly worthy too.
    I'd say the same about the Giant box...and, for that matter, this year's Mayall box. Madfish definitely knows its shit when it comes to remastering the material as best they can, with the source considered.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    On the fence with this one, as it is quite expensive proposition. Have most of the albums other than the new live titles there. Wish I knew this box is coming out, as not too long ago invested in the not too cheap 7CD box - The Decca/Deram Years (An Anthology) 1970-1975. 5.1 mix would be certainly enticing but then why is it only a single album, granted very good one but hardly justifies the expense.

Already have a few of these boxes but it seems the prices are getting steeper every time a new one comes out. There are probably next ones in the pipeline too: VdGG, Camel and more.
    Yes, Madfish boxes are expensive, but compare them to Pink Floyd boxes. Less expensive than the far smaller content (and minimal text content) of Floyd's Later Years box, the Caravan box haa a whopping 35 CDs, a DVD and a Blu Ray (with a first time higher res version of Wilson's Grey and Pink remix). A coffee table sized hardcover, another paperback book and other assorted ephemera. I think the price is pretty darn good for a box this size, just as I feel about the Crimson boxes.

Major label box sets are almost always far more expensive for far less material, so I personally think that labels like Madfish and Panegyric are giving real value for money. Now, whether or not you need or want a box is another story, but while the price isn't insignificant, when compared to so many others on major labels, they really are good value.

I understand it's difficult to come up with this kind of money for some. But looking at what you get, I just don't think the price is exorbitant.
    John Kelman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Still on the fence about this set, as I bought the recent, smaller set and already owned all the studio albums plus some remasters. Would be a nice fondle, but that’s a big chunk of change.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Yes, Madfish boxes are expensive, but compare them to Pink Floyd boxes. Less expensive than the far smaller content (and minimal text content) of Floyd's Later Years box, the Caravan box haa a whopping 35 CDs, a DVD and a Blu Ray (with a first time higher res version of Wilson's Grey and Pink remix). A coffee table sized hardcover, another paperback book and other assorted ephemera. I think the price is pretty darn good for a box this size, just as I feel about the Crimson boxes.

Major label box sets are almost always far more expensive for far less material, so I personally think that labels like Madfish and Panegyric are giving real value for money. Now, whether or not you need or want a box is another story, but while the price isn't insignificant, when compared to so many others on major labels, they really are good value.

I understand it's difficult to come up with this kind of money for some. But looking at what you get, I just don't think the price is exorbitant.
    Appreciate your well meant comments
    You are certainly right about the content comparison with the PF's - The Later Years box, although, not about the price ... at least not in my case. But then I consider myself lucky to get the brand new/ sealed box for $314 (shipping and tax included) on special a couple of months ago or so from Amazon. Btw, I have never seen before a box packed this well (protected) as this PF's one ... and I have a few, including Giant's one.

Well, still debating on it. My main problem to justify the purchase, having already remasters with bonuses of the most important titles, is that there is so much great new music out there coming out from other bands. A purchase like this would certainly put a strain on my budget for such purpose. But who knows, perhaps I get lucky with a "special" again? Probably would not refuse a good deal there. The Caravan's concert at the Patriot's Theater during NEARFest was for me certainly in the top three throughout the festival's span. Too bad it has not been included in this box, at least I think it is not. This probably would have been a tipping point for me.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

The one obvious omission is the BBC sessions. Indeed, they are somewhat scattered all over the place. The 2cd Show Of Our Lives was excellent, but kind of a 'best of'.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Can't justify diving into this one as it's just too much material and I'm not a fan of all era's. It certainly makes one pause for a moment or two though.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ I spent a good bit of time this weekend listening to Cunning Stunts, Blind Dog and Better By Far, three albums I own but am terribly unfamiliar with (two of them are on the Eclectic label, which looks to be a precursor to Esoteric--I'm sure y'all know better than I). All three have some duff moments, but the good on them really shines. I was particularly impressed with Better By Far (or, at the very least, I enjoyed listening to it).

I like the idea of having everything in one place, on one label. The live shows are a plus. Add in the $500 I had in credit card rewards and the ability to pre-order from an independent music distributor, and this became an easy sell for me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm still waffling.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm still waffling.
    It might become a Chance of a Lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    (two of them are on the Eclectic label, which looks to be a precursor to Esoteric--I'm sure y'all know better than I).
    It was- there was a change of distributor alongside a change of label name.

Eclectic as-was did all the 1977-82 albums but the 1980s ones weren't available for very long. They also released The Unauthorised Breakfast Item.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    They also released The Unauthorised Breakfast Item.
    AKA The Boot LEggo.

.....and Amazon wins the prize for most outrageous price! $489.99!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Pop market just came in with their 24hour sale - $425.79 + Sales tax with free shipping. I think we’ve now pretty much heard from our Prog suppliers by now.

In My Humble Opinion….. I might avoid Amazon and importCD. In the past year or so, these vendors tend to overpromise. I’ve had orders go from Pre-Order to Back Order to an eventual refund. At least when you order from Ken or Steve, they deliver! I’ve also never had an issue with BS.

So…….buy this Mega Box or go see Genesis for 90 minutes this fall.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

The Limited Edition (100 units @$465.00 a pop) are already sold out.