Thread: New CD from Mahtrak's keyboardist with special guests from Mahtrak and Univers Zero

New CD from Mahtrak's keyboardist with special guests from Mahtrak and Univers Zero

In case any of you were wondering about what happened to Mahtrak (probably not), I have just released a new CD which is kind of a solo project, but including some very special guests. Here you can find more info about it:

perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

I play most of the instruments myself, apart from the drums. There is also a guitar solo from Mahtrak guitarist Fred Berlowitz, and a very special participation from Michel Berckmans who plays the main melody from one of the songs on the English Horn.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

COOL!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for the update, will definitely be checking this out. I really like the Mahtrak album!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    In case any of you were wondering about what happened to Mahtrak (probably not), I have just released a new CD which is kind of a solo project, but including some very special guests. Here you can find more info about it:

perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

I play most of the instruments myself, apart from the drums. There is also a guitar solo from Mahtrak guitarist Fred Berlowitz, and a very special participation from Michel Berckmans who plays the main melody from one of the songs on the English Horn.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Excellent! I really, really enjoy the Mahtrak CD and have been looking forward to this CD from you, Paulo!
    My copy of "Out of Order" is due any day...I will post my thoughts after i spin it.

Thanks for the notice!

Just ordered this CD. Sampled it a bit, and it sounds wonderful. First track has a bit of a Canterbury vibe, others go in different directions. Really looking forward to it!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just ordered this CD. Sampled it a bit, and it sounds wonderful. First track has a bit of a Canterbury vibe, others go in different directions. Really looking forward to it!

Bill
    Thank you so much for that!

And indeed, it does go into all sorts of different directions. When in a band, things tend to be more homogeneous because you need to find a common denominator. But when doing a solo project, I just can't help myself and put everything I like in there... and I do like a lot of different things!
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

My goodness...this is a wonderful CD, Paulo!
    I knew it was going to be special from the quick peek I had in advance but it is far better than I imagined.

The quality of the tunes is impressive. Very nice melodies over very clever rhythmic beds that twist and turn. I really like the way a number of the tunes start slowly and coalesce into rhythmic pieces.

The drums are a huge part of the CD...Mr. Rocha is a very talented and creative drummer. His ability to handle challenging meters is clear.

As always, your keyboard work is so tasty; your choice of interesting patches/tones and your command of the pitch bend wheel stand out. So very tasteful and creative.

Your vocals and bass work on the last piece (22 minutes long) are excellent and even more amazing given the other roles you handle. Speaking of which, sax too? Sheesh...you are so flexible and talented...those lines are so well-played and your tone is lovely.

That epic track (5) will require many more listenings by the way. It really changes course and mood so many times so it rewards those repeated spins.

The artwork and quality of the packaging are great too. I love the humor of the titles and the artwork.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone that enjoys adventurous progressive music.

Your Mahtrak CD and this new solo CD deserve a much wider audience, Paulo. You are a fantastic musician and composer. You need to share this CD with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    My goodness...this is a wonderful CD, Paulo!
    Thank you, that's very kind!

The drums are a huge part of the CD...Mr. Rocha is a very talented and creative drummer. His ability to handle challenging meters is clear.
    Yes, he's a great drummer! And a very good sight reader as well... for the 22 minute piece, for example, I have written all the drum parts and he recorded them while reading.

Your vocals and bass work on the last piece (22 minutes long) are excellent and even more amazing given the other roles you handle.
    I'd say that's pretty ok for someone who's neither a vocalist nor a bass player. I think it's a bit like I was saying about Jon Anderson on Olias. The secret is to keep it simple and work on the arrangements so that it works well within the context of the song and is also something you can play without much difficulty.

Speaking of which, sax too?
    Oh yes, sax is actually my second instrument. I used to play it with Mahtrak as well, but our drummer didn't like sax, so he vetoed it...
    Funny thing is that I have always only played alto sax, but for track 4 on this CD I needed a soprano. So I had no doubt, just went out to buy a soprano sax and came back, and recorded it without having ever played the instrument before. And believe it or not, that's what you hear on the album! And to be fair that was pure beginners luck, because every time I tried to play it again ever since it was a total disaster...

You need to share this CD with the world.
    I guess that's the whole point of releasing it, right?
    But seriously though, thank you so much for the support. Especially these days, every bit of support is very welcome and very much needed indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Thank you, that's very kind!

Yes, he's a great drummer! And a very good sight reader as well... for the 22 minute piece, for example, I have written all the drum parts and he recorded them while reading.

I'd say that's pretty ok for someone who's neither a vocalist nor a bass player. I think it's a bit like I was saying about Jon Anderson on Olias. The secret is to keep it simple and work on the arrangements so that it works well within the context of the song and is also something you can play without much difficulty.

Oh yes, sax is actually my second instrument. I used to play it with Mahtrak as well, but our drummer didn't like sax, so he vetoed it...
    Funny thing is that I have always only played alto sax, but for track 4 on this CD I needed a soprano. So I had no doubt, just went out to buy a soprano sax and came back, and recorded it without having ever played the instrument before. And believe it or not, that's what you hear on the album! And to be fair that was pure beginners luck, because every time I tried to play it again ever since it was a total disaster...

I guess that's the whole point of releasing it, right?
    But seriously though, thank you so much for the support. Especially these days, every bit of support is very welcome and very much needed indeed!
    ..."keep it simple."

You are very modest. "Simple" is not an adjective I would ever use to describe any aspect of your solo CD. LOL.

But just to release it and call it good would be to under-serve this fine music. It needs to get the attention of reviewers and music sites that value and promote good progressive music. Perhaps PROG magazine would be a good goal. I encourage you to send off copies to the right people if you haven't done so already.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 08-01-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Magazine name

You are very modest. "Simple" is not an adjective I would ever use to describe any aspect of your solo CD. LOL.
    Haha, fair enough... Just keep in mind complex does not necessarily always mean difficult... You can come up with lines that are not that difficult to play by themselves but in the overall arrangement the end result can be quite complex.

It needs to get the attention of reviewers and music sites that value and promote good progressive music.
    Are there many of those still left? The best one I know is actualy here... But of course I'm open to suggestions!

A very good point. Often, lines that sound simple can be quite difficult to play and lines that sound complex/difficult are not always technically difficult to pull off.

The wonderful thing about your CD is that everything sounds like it fits perfectly. Nothing stands out as ostentatious or overly showy. The tracks feel organic and very well thought-out.