Thread: My first track needs review..PLEASE..spare some time !!!!

My first track needs review..PLEASE..spare some time !!!!

Hey Guys...

This is the link to the track I am working on...

https://soundcloud.com/anuraj_prog/search

I desperately need some honest reviews here, to know where I stand.
    Please be very specific about what u like and what u did not...like the guitar tone, riff etc.
    Any suggestions are most welcome...this is my first track ever recorded using my home studio. (Logic, Mobile Pre, Jackson Kelly Ke3, Shure sm58)

Thanks in advance...Prog rock \m/

I enjoyed the introduction and the buildup to section 1:27 through 3:56, at that point, it seemed to me to lose my interest, Perhaps too much going on or something like that. I'm not quite certain what to think about the talking part. I've been listening to Porcupine trees Voyage 34 and this sounded like it could be similar to that. But its holds a fairly narrow appeal for me, personally. I'm not certain what vibe you're going for here and it may be that its just not my thing. I thought the drums were extremely buried in the fog of the guitar during the above mentioned section. Perhaps thats how you intended it. You obviously play guitar well, so I dont think I have anything bad to say about the perfomance. I think perhaps if you spent more time creating a less repetitive drum track during that section you might hold my interest better. Once again, I'm a bit of a geezer and I like my prog pretty well straight up 70's. This may say more about my taste than it does about this song.

I like the atmospheric beginning as well. I agree with Yodelgoat that the drum track gets buried and is too repetitive, and other levels (like the when what I think is a keyboard part comes in at 1:27) seem too loud. I am not big on talking parts, but that is just a personal preference, nothing to do with how it was done. Ultimately, it comes down to how it sounds to you, the process of creating and recording takes a lot of time and experimentation.

My favorite parts are the atmospheric intro/outro, and I like the main guitar riff that is played clean that comes in at about 0:57 - very cool sound there!

Keep posting, love to listen to music that everyone creates here - thanks for posting.

I like the piece but personally I think the mix is out of kilter. The drum volume works well against the ambient stuff and the verby bass, but the part that comes in at 1:28 is far too loud for the other parts. In order to have the spoken part play over that, there is a real disparity created between the volume of the drums and the spoken part. I'd bring the part that comes in a 1:28 down a whole lot and seat in the groove better. That would clear up a lot of space for the spoken word part and let it play quieter and be somewhere in the same ball-park as the drums. I like the drum part but could definitely see it evolve somewhat beyond the 2 bar pattern it is locked into right now. Cool vibe though and an interesting listen.

Thanks a lot guys for your review.. I agree with the drum thing..I have planned to bring variations to the beat but after I get a good drum sound...still looking for plugins and samples that could work best in this track (any suggestions are welcome)...
    Your appreciation and suggestions will definitely take me forward..this was my first try..so fingers crossed..

prog rock \m/

My personal feeling would be to go with a more obviously electronica approach to the looped drums and add even more layers. For me, the attempt to sound like acoustic drums doesn't work because it's too busy but as an electronic sound it could be very cool. I like the direction it's going in, I do tend to agree with the mix issues brought up previously. Look at Stylus by Spectrasonics as an all-encompassing beat and loop VST... For a more "real" approach try Toontrack's EZDrummer with possibly the Rock Solid module.