Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Gilmour's Black Strat goes under the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    It's cool. After an asteroid hits and finally wipes out the embarrassing mistake we've become, some future adaptation of humanity will pull one of Gilmour's guitars out of a pile of dust and build a new society that searches for the Ultimate Tone.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    here is a reason why the Vikings named Greenland that way 1000 years ago.
    Yes, but it wasn't because it was green. There are two theories of thought. One is that Erik the Red who was exiled there named it that to attract people. The other is that it was previously called Gruntland (Groundland) and the name got lost in the translation.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Here is the CBS story the week prior to the auction where it is said the charity would be the homeless and poor (at about 2:52).

Could it be that CBS got it wrong? Just askin'
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Given what those rat bastards did to Fender in the 70's, I'd say you could almost make bank on it.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Given what those rat bastard almost did to Fender in the 70's, I'd say you could make bank on it.
    Yeah, I didn't read that comment as definitely saying these sales would specifically go to the homeless and poor. It seemed to me that the reporter stated that Gilmour supports those types of causes and then almost assumed these sales were going there, as well. It's lazy journalism. I didn't look on the Christie's site. But that would be the voice of authority.

BTW, I still think the Black Strat looked better with the rosewood neck that Gilmour had on it circa 1974-1977. I dunno why, it's never looked right, to my eyes, with the maple neck.

BTW, I still think the Black Strat looked better with the rosewood neck that Gilmour had on it circa 1974-1977. I dunno why, it's never looked right, to my eyes, with the maple neck.
    I preferred it with the big headstock maple neck and white scratchplate it was, I believe, originally fitted with (see Live in Pompeii).

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I preferred it with the big headstock maple neck and white scratchplate it was, I believe, originally fitted with (see Live in Pompeii).
    I think ther's a chance it originally had a rosewood neck originally. Check out the KQED video. That might be a different guitar, though, as I believe I read that Gilmour had two different black Strats in the early 80's.

One thing I always thought was interesting about Gilmour's guitar is the black pickguard appears to be a single colour. Usually, "black" Strat pickguards are actually layered, black/white/black. With the beveled edge, this gives you an outline of white, if you will, around the pickguard (you can also have other colour combinations, white/black/white, or black/green/black or black/green/yellow/black or whatever the pickguard manufacturer is willing to do for you). But Gilmour's doesn't have that, it's just appears to be solid black.

One CBS era black Strat I always liked was Hughie Thomasson's, the guitar he's playing on the cover of The Outlaws Bring It Back Alive.

I also always liked a couple of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Strats, too. There's the cream coloured Strat with the sort of red/black Mother Of Toilet Seat pickguard. And then there's Lenny, the brown Strat he used for playing the instrumentals Lenny and Riveria Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Here is the CBS story the week prior to the auction where it is said the charity would be the homeless and poor (at about 2:52).
    It's not like the dude sounded like he was sure about anything as to where the money would go

wouldn't that be a first time??
    (though it's the Christies guys that was speaking, wasn't it?)

TBH, I don't think the guitar on that news show looked quite right, either.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    that was my very first thought: was it a fake?
    Though they said Gilmour modified the guitar right from the start, I really think it looked better with that white board... It's definitely more iconic.

I also always liked a couple of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Strats, too. There's the cream coloured Strat with the sort of red/black Mother Of Toilet Seat pickguard. And then there's Lenny, the brown Strat he used for playing the instrumentals Lenny and Riveria Paradise.
    Rory's Strat was the most awesome, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Any word on what 0001 brought?

I believe it was Jim Irsay, who owns the Indianapolis Colts.

Here one version of the story that has been circulated regarding the Strat that came up in the Seymour Duncan forums in 2004, which stirred up some controversy:
    This is one of those folklore legends that has taken on a life of its own. Here’s the real story – and it’s actually a tale of two guitars. In 1976, right before he started Seymour Duncan Pickups, Seymour was doing guitar repair at Jensen’s Music, here in Santa Barbara. While he was there, a guy from Nipomo, California named Richard Green brought a ’57 Strat to Seymour to fix and refinish – he wanted the new color to be see-through root beer, like Bonnie Raitt’s guitar. Seymour remembers the original color as a light mint green; probably the same finish Fender used on some lap steels.

Seymour sent the body to his friend and colleague Wayne Charvel for refinishing. Wayne was an authorized Fender repairman. But Wayne couldn’t refinish the body because the dings and nicks were too deep for a see-through finish. So Wayne used another Fender body, which he sprayed see-through root beer, and he sent it back to Seymour. (Back in the ‘70s, when you sent a neck or body to Fender for replacement, the practice was to saw the original in half and throw it away. However, in this case, the original body wasn’t destroyed...)

The original neck went to another Santa Barbara repairman Phil Kubicki, who refinished it. It eventually made its way back to Seymour who re-plated the hardware gold, put the guitar back together (with the new body) and returned it to Richard Green. The neck plate said serial number #0001, but Seymour knew it wasn’t accurate since Fender didn’t do solid color finishes back then.

Some time later, Seymour was visiting Wayne’s shop and saw the original ’57 body and bought it to use for a test guitar he was building. Seymour bought a ’57 maple neck from Kubicki for $85 and he bolted it onto the ’57 body. He wound some ‘60s replica pickups and used the guitar as a test bed. Eventually, he sold the Frankenstein guitar to a guy named Phil Taylor who in turn sold it to David Gilmour for $600. The neck plate said #0001; but like Richard Green’s, Seymour believed it to be non-original. Keep in mind, this was long before the vintage guitar craze had started; and was 15 years before the first Antiquity pickup was ever sold.

Whether it’s an original or a partscaster, the mystery surrounding the guitar has made it a priceless piece of Fender history as well as rock and roll history. Not to mention, Gilmour has used the guitar on several Pink Floyd recordings over the years.

David Gilmour’s main workhorse was the 1969 “Black Strat” which has a rich history as well. The guitar was bought new in 1970 by Gilmour and remains his main guitar for solo recording sessions. There was actually a book written by tech, Phil Taylor, on the guitar’s history for those who are curious about the axe that shaped Gilmour’s tone. Fun Fact: The “Black Strat” originally had a Sunburst finish. The only original parts left on the guitar at this time are believed to be the bridge plate and pickup selector switch.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/arti...ocasters-84168
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

TBH, I don't think the guitar on that news show looked quite right, either.

that was my very first thought: was it a fake?
    Though they said Gilmour modified the guitar right from the start, I really think it looked better with that white board... It's definitely more iconic.
    Yeah, it was heavily altered. You can kind of chart it's evolution, to an extent, from looking at the photos in almost any book on the band. It went from having at least one CBS era neck to having a rosewood pre-CBS neck to a maple pre-CBS neck, to a Schecter maple neck w/a 22 fret fingerboard, to possibly another pre-CBS maple neck.

I've often wondered if this guitar was the frequent victim of airport baggage handlers, who are notorious for damaging and even destroying musical instruments. Gilmour gets home from a US tour, opens the case, finds the neck got snapped, so instead of trying to have it fixed (sometimes it can be done, sometimes not), he simply slaps another neck on it.

At one point, he installed a humbucker between the middle and bridge pickups. I think that's why he changed the pickguard to the black one, when he decided he didn't like having the humbucker there. He also installed a switch that allowed him to engage either the neck or bridge pickup (I forget which) in any of the other positions, which allowed him to get the two outer pickups, or all three. When this auction was announced a few months ago, I read an interview with him, where he said he hardly ever used it!

The most extensive alteration was the installation of a Kahler tremolo in the early 80's. It was with the Kahler and the Schecter neck that he took the guitar with him on his 1984 solo tour. He used in dropped D for Run Like Hell, Short And Sweet and Murder, on the Live At Hammersmith video.

At some, he decided to revert to a vintage Fender style bridge, which necessitated having a block of wood, painted black to match the rest of the body, installed to hide the hole that had to be cut for the Kahler. If you look closely at that CBS News video, you can see the block of wood.

So yeah, if you're looking at the Pompeii or KQED videos and thinking the guitar currently "doesn't look right", that's because he's had tons of work done to it.

Rory's Strat was the most awesome, IMHO
    A guitar so awesome, Fender actually built identical copies to it.

Another Strat I liked a lot was Jerry Garcia's Alligator, the guitar he's playing on Europe '72 (and most of the shows from around April '71 to about August '73, I believe). That was another guitar that had a lot of work done to it.

And yes, I'd heard that story about how #0001 is, according to Seymour Duncan, actually a partscaster, but at least it has a real Fender parts, kinda like Clapton's Blackie. The story I remember hearing David Gilmour was he sort of strong armed his guitar tech, Phil Taylor into selling it to him. I think Phil asked him for a loan because he was buying a house, and Gilmour basically said, "I'll give you the money if you give me the guitar".
    David Gilmour’s main workhorse was the 1969 “Black Strat” which has a rich history as well. The guitar was bought new in 1970 by Gilmour and remains his main guitar for solo recording sessions. There was actually a book written by tech, Phil Taylor, on the guitar’s history for those who are curious about the axe that shaped Gilmour’s tone. Fun Fact: The “Black Strat” originally had a Sunburst finish. The only original parts left on the guitar at this time are believed to be the bridge plate and pickup selector switch.
    According to www.gilmourish.com, he bought the Black Strat in May of 1970. A few months earlier he had bought another Strat, also black, which was stolen, along with his white Strat and the rest of the band's gear. So the guitar he's playing in the KQED video, apparently, is one of the guitars that was stolen.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:24 AM.

I do wish that Christie's would sell a poster of "The Black Strat" as it was displayed on the wall during the exhibit of the collection. I'd love to have that for my music room.

Does anyone know what guitars Dave Gilmour will be playing now?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How much is yours worth?

I'll let it go for $1,000,000
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Does anyone know what guitars Dave Gilmour will be playing now?
    I think he said that he's got a couple copies that Fender made of the Black Strat, which he plans to use in the future. I also recall reading that he didn't sell everything. For instance, I believe he said he was keeping the beat up Telecaster that's on the back cover of About Face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I do wish that Christie's would sell a poster of "The Black Strat" as it was displayed on the wall during the exhibit of the collection. I'd love to have that for my music room.
    He can afford to go back and repurchase the $21 million worth of guitars he just sold at auction. For double the price. And it would not upset his lifestyle in the least.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Thanks! Perfect signature.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks! Perfect signature.
    I made that up all by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    I believe it was Jim Irsay, who owns the Indianapolis Colts.
    If so, I hope he chokes on it. I was living in Baltimore the night Irsay's drunken old man sneaked the Baltimore Colts out of town in the dead of night (after years of running the team into the ground and pimping it to cities looking for a team).
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."