Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: David Gilmour's Black Strat goes under the hammer

  1. #1

    David Gilmour's Black Strat goes under the hammer

    Highest price paid ever for one guitar!

  2. #2
    Any word on what 0001 brought?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Any word on what 0001 brought?
    $1.815 million.

    Total sales $21 million. All going to charity. Class act, is that Mr. Gilmour.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    $1.815 million.

    Total sales $21 million. All going to charity. Class act, is that Mr. Gilmour.
    Yes but have you seen which 'charity' ? I cant help thinking that Gilmour has lost the plot.

    Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    ^^I think that's a political comment....

    "more than $21 million raised for the benefit of ClientEarth, an organisation pledged to combat climate change."

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yes but have you seen which 'charity' ? I cant help thinking that Gilmour has lost the plot.
    Yes, I have seen the charity and endorse its aims. I don't think Gilmour has lost the plot at all; in fact, I'm not quite sure if you are properly "plotted".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    904
    My strat's just as good.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  8. #8
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,147
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My strat's just as good.
    How much is yours worth?

  9. #9
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,217
    I've seen at least three bids attributed to a pillar at the back of the room

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Yes, I have seen the charity and endorse its aims. I don't think Gilmour has lost the plot at all; in fact, I'm not quite sure if you are properly "plotted".
    Not sure it's going to stop anything climate-wise, but yeah, if there is a "cool" charity, that's certainly one that will try to keep from heating up too much

    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My strat's just as good.

    the difference is in the player
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^I think that's a political comment....

    "more than $21 million raised for the benefit of ClientEarth, an organisation pledged to combat climate change."
    Saving the environment should be apolitical surely but I don't see how $21m to this group is going to make any difference to climate change. The money could have been invested in clean energy for example.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lynnwood WA
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Saving the environment should be apolitical surely but I don't see how $21m to this group is going to make any difference to climate change. The money could have been invested in clean energy for example.
    It's his money. he can do what he wants with it. It's amazing how many people try to tell others how to spend their money. I don't have that much and people are always trying to tell me how to spend it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Saving the environment should be apolitical surely but I don't see how $21m to this group is going to make any difference to climate change. The money could have been invested in clean energy for example.
    It's more about changing laws in order to get to clean energy. All the solar panels and windmills aren't going to do anything while countries pass legislation to benefit multinational fossil fuel corporations. Like in the U.S., for instance, where coal has somehow become "clean", and what was once the Environmental Protection Agency has become a dinner party for fossil fuel and petrochemical lobbyists.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My strat's just as good.
    Yeah, but it doens't look as cool as 0001. Having said, you could probably mod any Strat to look like that. All you need is the maple neck and gold anodized pickguard.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    It's his money. he can do what he wants with it. It's amazing how many people try to tell others how to spend their money. I don't have that much and people are always trying to tell me how to spend it.
    Yes, marriage can be a real bummer at times.

  15. #15
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    701

  16. #16
    If you go back and look at some of the pre-auction reports, the news people were stating the charity was going to be to helping the homeless. I know CBS was reporting that. I do know that David has tied his Foundation to several charities aimed at helping the poor, drug addiction, and the homeless. The last statement from David was that all of the proceeds were going to this one "climate change" organization. I question whether that distinction was made clear at the Christys auction. I'm certain there were many who may have assumed the charity was the homeless, poor, drug-addict side of his foundation that was going to benefit from this auction. I could be wrong about that, but I could also understand that many might associate this auction with what Eric Clapton did with Christys several years back.
    While I agree that David should be able to donate to whatever charity he chooses, I think it may have been a wise approach to spread such a large amount over several of his foundational charities.

  17. #17
    FFS, boys.

    For the record, climate change is a moral issue. It's only framed as political by POLITICIANS, so they can divide people along party lines. Don't fall for it, because you are perpetuating the dumbing down of society.

    And if you don't like what David Gilmour does with his millions, you are welcome to earn your own and give it to others.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  18. #18
    I care less about the fact that what Gilmour is using the money for, and more about the fact that these guitars will probably never be played again. Of course, some of them, they probably weren't being played much as it was (that's why Gilmour put them up for auction). They're gonna go into museums, or into a vault some place, and the new owners will only pull them out to show off to friends..."Hey, look at what I got! It's the guitar David Gilmour used on Shine On You Crazy Diamond!" (well, sort of, there's a long and involved history with that guitar, but he's customized it numerous times over the years, it's had several different necks, at least two bridges, two sets of electronics, etc).

    From what I gather, the Black Strat was bought by some NFL team owner, who also owns a bunch of other celebrity guitars (including, I believe, one of Jerry Garcia's Doug Irwin guitars).

    Yeah, I know, I'm unrealistic about such things, but I still maintain that the various people who were involved in bringing these instruments into existence didn't intend for them to sit in glass cases for whichever reason, whether because it's a "vintage" guitar or because it was owned and/or played by somebody famous. They intended them to be played. And I'll reiterate the comment that Bonnie Raitt once made about how you should honour the memory of the tree that was felled so that the guitar could be made by actually playing it!

    All I know is, if I owned 0001 or the Black Strat or that White Penguin, I'd sure as hell be playing it. I might not play it every day, but it wouldn't be in a glass case.

  19. #19
    ^^ I think it's more about the artist learning that they can do more with it beyond play music and use their fame to really make a difference. I get it, though. But, if you had everything you ever wanted and someone approached you about doing good with what you have possibly collecting dust in a closet somewhere, you might be inclined to do it.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ I think it's more about the artist learning that they can do more with it beyond play music and use their fame to really make a difference. I get it, though. But, if you had everything you ever wanted and someone approached you about doing good with what you have possibly collecting dust in a closet somewhere, you might be inclined to do it.
    I'm not talking about Gilmour, I'm talking about the people who bought the guitars. I get that Gilmour felt he wasn't using the guitars much anymore, and decided to let them go. In fact, he's been threatening to do this since the mid 80's. I remember reading an article in Guitar World, circa A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, where he said he was thinking about downsizing his collection. It just took him 30 years to finally pull the trigger.

    My point is, you know this NFL guy who bought the Black Strat isn't gonna be playing it much, if at all. He's gonna put it in a glass case, and when people come over, he's gonna say, "Look at what I bought!". At best it'll end up in a museum someplace. (shrug)

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm not talking about Gilmour, I'm talking about the people who bought the guitars. I get that Gilmour felt he wasn't using the guitars much anymore, and decided to let them go. In fact, he's been threatening to do this since the mid 80's. I remember reading an article in Guitar World, circa A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, where he said he was thinking about downsizing his collection. It just took him 30 years to finally pull the trigger.

    My point is, you know this NFL guy who bought the Black Strat isn't gonna be playing it much, if at all. He's gonna put it in a glass case, and when people come over, he's gonna say, "Look at what I bought!". At best it'll end up in a museum someplace. (shrug)
    You missed my point.

    Gilmour decided that it's worth more to him as a funding mechanism for a charity than it is for playing. Are you suggesting that he shouldn't sell it to the highest bidder because the guy won't play it? Seems kinda counter-productive.

    I get your point, though from a purist standpoint. Yes, it would be nice if the guitar can continue to get played. David got what he wanted; the buyer got what he wanted. You'll have to live with that. Or you can be the highest bidder next time around.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  22. #22
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    157
    It's cool. After an asteroid hits and finally wipes out the embarrassing mistake we've become, some future adaptation of humanity will pull one of Gilmour's guitars out of a pile of dust and build a new society that searches for the Ultimate Tone.

  23. #23
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    My point is, you know this NFL guy who bought the Black Strat isn't gonna be playing it much, if at all. He's gonna put it in a glass case, and when people come over, he's gonna say, "Look at what I bought!". At best it'll end up in a museum someplace. (shrug)
    The guitar served its purpose. It is now retired. Long live the memorabilia collectors!!!

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    FFS, boys.

    For the record, climate change is a moral issue. It's only framed as political by POLITICIANS, so they can divide people along party lines. Don't fall for it, because you are perpetuating the dumbing down of society.
    Agree 100%.

  25. #25
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    FFS, boys.

    For the record, climate change is a moral issue. It's only framed as political by POLITICIANS, so they can divide people along party lines. Don't fall for it, because you are perpetuating the dumbing down of society.

    And if you don't like what David Gilmour does with his millions, you are welcome to earn your own and give it to others.
    I don't think climate changes or global warming are political issues... They're survival of life common sense



    Though I am hardly a climate-sceptic at all, there is a reason why the Vikings named Greenland that way 1000 years ago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •