Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50th of It's a Beautiful Day

The album captures a time and place perfectly.

I agree that "M Maiden" is clearly no match for the debut, but then "Let My Woman Flow" belongs on the debut.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Is that not an electric guitar at the start of Wasted Union Blues?
    I listened yesterday, and indeed it very obviously is! I believe this is the only snippet of it on the record, though - probably "for measure".

As for Marrying Maiden, I can do without the 'feelgood' party songs, but stuff like "Do You Remember the Sun?" and their rather nice rendition of "The Dolphins" stand out. No match at all for the debut, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Marrying Maiden is a huge disappointment, except for the last couple of tracks. Don Dewey is Purple's Wring That Neck, no? I've heard in some cheap coffeehouse discussion that in exchange for Bombay Calling, Deep Purple had allowed them to use the song - is that true?

By 1971 or 72 all these West Coast bands were absolutely toast creatively, there seems to have been a massive, brief outburst of creativity and then a complete drop in quality terms. I can only imagine the reasons for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Marrying Maiden is a huge disappointment, except for the last couple of tracks. Don Dewey is Purple's Wring That Neck, no? I've heard in some cheap coffeehouse discussion that in exchange for Bombay Calling, Deep Purple had allowed them to use the song - is that true?.
    I've heard that theory, but if that was the case, then IABD certainly made something quite different from the WTN instrumental and Purple took the D&D version to make it Lazy in 72. In either case, I don't hear much from WTN into D&D, whereas you can easily sing "Laaaaaazy, you just stay in bed" over D&D instrumental track (as a matter of fact, yoyu're quite surprised when it doesn't happen). You try singing "Laaaaazy" over WTN and it doesn't work at all.

In either case, Purple certainly won in both cases, since Child In Time and Lazy are infinitely more popular than Bombay and D&D... When discovering IABD, many people thinking that it is IABD actually stealing Purple more than the other way around.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In either case, I don't hear much from WTN into D&Ds...
    listen to the melody on the violin - it is exactly the same

By 1971 or 72 all these West Coast bands were absolutely toast creatively, there seems to have been a massive, brief outburst of creativity and then a complete drop in quality terms. I can only imagine the reasons for this.
    Booze, cocaine - and in some (albeit surprisingly few) cases opioids. And Money, the worst drug of all.

But the influx of coke and hooch is quite understated in historical writings on that period, possibly because it didn't quite fit the ethos notion of the "west coast spirit". Spencer Dryden and Grace S. were obviously very heavy drinkers already by the time of Woodstock, but Jack and apparent cocaine addiction worsened the emphysema of John Cipollina and saw to his early demise from life. Kantner also resorted to Heavy drink during his last decade, and it was indeed drink - not his former heroin habit - which threw Skip Spence literally into the garbage bin.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

listen to the melody on the violin - it is exactly the same

Sooooo, you're right!!

Are you saying that Purple recycled WTN into Lazy without passing thru D&D, though??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I keep thinking of the so-called "ultimate west coast record" - and how much I adore some of those tunes:

Freiberg became an alcoholic too, btw - and wrote quite graciously about it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I keep thinking of the so-called "ultimate west coast record" - and how much I adore some of those tunes:

Freiberg became an alcoholic too, btw - and wrote quite graciously about it later.
    I don't know this!!! The hopeless darkness of dark ignorance.

I am convinced that there is an ingredient in Earth's atmosphere that turns every sensitive person into a cripple of some form. To be able to actually survive on this planet - on the emotional level - is an achievement on its own, not a given. Now, let me open another can - cheers! (figure of speech - it's way early and I am working in a couple of hours).

^ Well, let's put it at this; it's very easy to attain bad habits. And especially when they're easy to be had in terms of various dispositions partly outside of one's own control.

I grew up in a heavy-smoking household, and you either go that way yourself or you completely abstain - as latter was the fate in my case. But they were also rather heavy drinkers, Scandinavian style. And I love it myself, particularly now that I'm old and in the way. Which means that I have to keep a lid on that habit; no alcohol around my youngest kid, none during workdays - and I mean never in those instances. I suppose that discipline is what have kept me from becoming a full-time drunkard.

But if I was well-off and consequently didn't work much, and didn't have any kids around? I'd be reading, writing and listening to music all-day long, trying every once in a while to go outside somewhere to get laid. Now it's rather every other weekend when I'm free from kids; I might have a beer or two with my eldest son, who thinks he's special because "absolutely NO ONE in his generation listens to elderly stough like Mötorhead, Dave Gilmour, Ravi Shankar or Joy Division", as he says.

And then I go home, listening to music, reading and writing before I hit the town approx. 00:00 and attempt to get laid and/or get into a fistfight.

Always kinda hoping that I won't stumble into my eldest son and his buds while doing that.

Don Dewey is Purple's Wring That Neck, no? I've heard in some cheap coffeehouse discussion that in exchange for Bombay Calling, Deep Purple had allowed them to use the song - is that true?.
    At a concert in Chicago about 5 years ago, David gave a historical background of the songs. He stated that DP lifted the lick from Bombay Calling without permission (the two groups had shared one or more gigs?). So he in turn borrowed from Wring That Neck to even the score. Apparently no recriminations in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    At a concert in Chicago about 5 years ago, David gave a historical background of the songs. He stated that DP lifted the lick from Bombay Calling without permission (the two groups had shared one or more gigs?). So he in turn borrowed from Wring That Neck to even the score. Apparently no recriminations in either direction.
    Thanks man. And if you don't mind me saying so, I'd be glad to see you post some more judging from your contribution to this thread.

As many are aware, the complete sets to Tanglewood 1970 are on YouTube: The Who, Jethro Tull, It's A Beautiful Day. I went to shows between 1968 and 1971 with my summer camp in The Berkshires, including this one. Bill Graham introduces their set. David LaFlamme used to play doubles tennis at The Rose Garden in the early 80s and was quite good. I almost auditioned for The David LaFlamme band as a bass player a few years later, but they went with a bass player they knew before I got to audition, I was told, by the drummer. I'm glad to see IABD is still going strong.

I've been listening to a lot of US 60's psych recently, and I am just amazed at the quality of simple songwriting these bands had. On my turntable HP Lovecraft II is spinning at the moment, and despite my being very familiar with it, I am still staggered at the power of the songs - apart from all the experimental,more "artsy" elements.

There is no doubt that these years were a golden age for American rock music.

I've been listening to a lot of US 60's psych recently, and I am just amazed at the quality of simple songwriting these bands had. On my turntable HP Lovecraft II is spinning at the moment, and despite my being very familiar with it, I am still staggered at the power of the songs - apart from all the experimental,more "artsy" elements.

Love both HPL albums, but if you must have only one albums of theirs, it should be the Live May 11th 1968 (in Sausalito, I believe)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al..._may_11__1968/

On my turntable HP Lovecraft II is spinning at the moment, and despite my being very familiar with it, I am still staggered at the power of the songs - apart from all the experimental,more "artsy" elements.

I dig the "artsy" elements, and whenever the topic of "proto-Prog" comes up I cite "The White Ship" as exemplary. And, yes, those years were the Cambrian explosion in the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Live May 11th 1968 (in Sausalito, I believe)
    San Francisco (Fillmore West). A killer "live' LP at a time when a lot of groups couldn't blow their noses "live."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I dig the "artsy" elements, and whenever the topic of "proto-Prog" comes up I cite "The White Ship" as exemplary.
    Of course, me too. But even without them, you get songs and melodies of the highest order.

Both It’s a Beautiful Day and HP Lovecraft had long songs with “White” in the title: White Bird for IABD and White Ship for HP Lovecraft. There must have been something in the air. For me, HP Lovecraft offers a slightly darker vision of a time – 1967 to 1969 – which nowadays is portrayed very much as a carefree era, with plentiful drugs making “everything all right”. Of course, it wasn’t like that at all; this was a time when, for example, members of the Manson family were prowling the streets of Californian cities looking for vulnerable people. My favourite lyrics from HP Lovecraft come from the song That’s the Bag I’m In, including the lines: “The other day I was walking down the street / Whistlin’ the blues to the tappin’ of my feet / Some woman came out and called a cop on me / It happens every time / ’Cause that’s the bag I’m in,” and “Missed my connection / I’m straight for work again / Ain’t seen the sunshine since I can’t remember when / They’ll drop the atom bomb the day my ship comes in / You know I just can’t win / ’Cause that’s the bag I'm in.”