Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Screaming Lord Sutch BBC Documentary narrated by Mark Lamarr

  1. #1
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,240

    Screaming Lord Sutch BBC Documentary narrated by Mark Lamarr



    Alice Cooper might have glanced in that direction a couple of times...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Lord_Sutch

    "David Edward Sutch (10 November 1940 16 June 1999), also known as 3rd Earl of Harrow, or simply Screaming Lord Sutch, was an English musician and serial parliamentary candidate. He was the founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and served as its leader from 1983 to 1999, during which time he stood in numerous parliamentary elections. He holds the record for losing more than 40 elections in which he stood from 1963 to 1997. As a singer he variously worked with Keith Moon, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Charlie Watts and Nicky Hopkins. "

  2. #2
    Nice. I've read a bio of Moon, and it never mentioned SLS.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  3. #3
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,253
    Britain seemingly sprouts "eccentrics" like mushrooms: Screaming Lord Sutch, Ivor Cutler, Stanley Unwin, Arthur Brown, Monty Python, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, The Goon Show, Moore & Cook....
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nice. I've read a bio of Moon, and it never mentioned SLS.
    Wikipedia says Keith played on a live album made in 1972 called The Hands Of Jack The Ripper. One suspects that it's such a insignificant episode in the life of Moon The Loon that it didn't rate mentioning in a biography on him (or, possibly, it was one of those things that ended it up on the editing floor when the book was deemed too long in it's final form for release).

  5. #5
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wikipedia says Keith played on a live album made in 1972 called The Hands Of Jack The Ripper. One suspects that it's such a insignificant episode in the life of Moon The Loon that it didn't rate mentioning in a biography on him (or, possibly, it was one of those things that ended it up on the editing floor when the book was deemed too long in it's final form for release).
    If Moon had remembered, he wasn't there.

  6. #6
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post


    Alice Cooper might have glanced in that direction a couple of times...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Lord_Sutch

    "David Edward Sutch (10 November 1940 – 16 June 1999), also known as 3rd Earl of Harrow, or simply Screaming Lord Sutch, was an English musician and serial parliamentary candidate. He was the founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and served as its leader from 1983 to 1999, during which time he stood in numerous parliamentary elections. He holds the record for losing more than 40 elections in which he stood from 1963 to 1997. As a singer he variously worked with Keith Moon, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Charlie Watts and Nicky Hopkins. "
    What a wonderful piece of nostalgia...Dave Sutch was the same age as me, at one time,in the early 60's, he lived in the same building as my sister, so i got to meet him from time to time. I went to many of his shows and it was truly a unique experience. the thing I enjoyed the most was the drumming and bass, I'd never heard anything quite like it at the time and they really got some great grooves going while Sutch was doing his antics. The comments regarding Keith Moon mean nothing to me in the big picture surrounding Sutch and his impact on the music industry. I'm quite sure that Moon would have been to many Sutch shows, and would been influenced to some degree of musical madness. These were exciting times in the UK, I am fortunate enough to have experienced those incredible years and Screaming Lord Sutch was a big part of that amazing period of rock.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  7. #7
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    What a wonderful piece of nostalgia....These were exciting times in the UK...and Screaming Lord Sutch was a big part of that amazing period of rock.
    I don't doubt it. I only know ...and Heavy Friends, which is unredeemable even nostalgically .
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,581
    ^Once voted the worst album of all time in some poll or other!

    I'm only really familiar with his notorious 'Jack The Ripper', a Joe Meek production for which there was one of those campy Scopitone-type promos.

  9. #9
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I don't doubt it. I only know ...and Heavy Friends, which is unredeemable even nostalgically .
    Sutch was no recording artist...never had a hit record. He was a showman that incorporated rock music and his live shows were powerful and very entertaining. Heavy Friends didn't do much for me, in fact I bought it mainly because of his "Heavy Friends"
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  10. #10
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    840
    Lord Sutch carried his antics right into the actual British House of Lords, up until the day he died in '99. He even formed a political party which was more party than political.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •