Thread: Bobby Kimball (Toto) - is his voice gone?

Bobby Kimball (Toto) - is his voice gone?

Bobby Kimball of Toto (and Yoso) fame, performed at a concert in Peru called Icons of Classic Rock a few days ago. Kimball was there along with Alex Ligertwood of Santana, Bill Champlin of Chicago, Kevin Chalfant of Journey (super-briefly in Journey, but long enough for him to use it to book a show, I guess) and Fran Cosmo of Boston. This is a clip of Kimball "singing" the Toto classic - David Paich of course sang this originally with Kimball on the choruses:

I haven't followed his career closely - I know he has been in and out of Toto a few times. But I wonder if this is just a (really) bad night or if his voice is shot. In his heyday Kimball was one of the best AOR rock singers out there.

He sounds a bit better here, on the song that he originally sang lead on. But it's hard to tell because there is clearly some additional vocalists helping out:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    But I wonder if this is just a (really) bad night or if his voice is shot.
    I believe, if I recall correctly, that this is the main reason Lukather didn't want to bring him back into Toto in 2010.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

His voice has been found in either Uruguay or Bolivia.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I believe, if I recall correctly, that this is the main reason Lukather didn't want to bring him back into Toto in 2010.
    It has been a while since I read Luke's book, but if I remember right he talks about Kimbal's vocal problems and how he has been struggling for years for various reasons.

Luke said Bobby would have alternating good and bad nights.

He got the boot early on due to drug use and arrests.

Apparently they patched things up since.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Sure they didn't Paich things up?

I watched various clips, including the one below, from this particular show a couple of years ago in a state of shock! This might be one of the worst shows of all time, from his singing to the band (listen to the 'bass solo' at the end here!):

But I think this was last year and he can obviously still sing in this setting.

So it's possible there are hearing issues. I don't know.

Didn't Kimball effectively do a Steve Walsh and blow his voice out with cocaine? I seem to recall that he's had a number of reunions with Toto over the years, but ultimately his personal issues and the effect they've had on his voice have firmly precluded any permanent reunion. Shame, BK had an absolutely superb voice in his prime. Seems sad that anybody would squander such a fabulous gift in such a needlessly destructive fashion.

Didn't Kimball effectively do a Steve Walsh and blow his voice out with cocaine? I seem to recall that he's had a number of reunions with Toto over the years, but ultimately his personal issues and the effect they've had on his voice have firmly precluded any permanent reunion. Shame, BK had an absolutely superb voice in his prime. Seems sad that anybody would squander such a fabulous gift in such a needlessly destructive fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sure they didn't Paich things up?

His most recent solo record came out two or three years ago and he's excellent on that. His voice sounds natural rather than enhanced although it all might have been spliced together after a thousand takes for each song, I suppose.

Billy Sherwood had issues with him after Yoso's few live shows. Can't remember whether that was to do with vocal problems or attitude/professionalism though.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    His most recent solo record came out two or three years ago and he's excellent on that.
    That’s good to hear. I may have to check that out. I was just astounded with how bad he sounded in those clips I posted from this weeks shows. And it looked like he was reading every lyric from that music stand.

I've noticed he drinks a lot of water on stage. You can see it in both 'Africa' clips.

I've seen others commenting elsewhere - based on those Peru videos - that he has lost/is losing his hearing. Either way, shame all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That’s good to hear. I may have to check that out. I was just astounded with how bad he sounded in those clips I posted from this weeks shows. And it looked like he was reading every lyric from that music stand.
    It's a strong album, despite it's lame-pun title ("We're Not In Kansas Anymore"). A good mix of R&b & AOR. If you like Toto, you'll find plenty to enjoy.

He sounds like the annoying drunk guy behind you in the audience, not the guy who should be on stage. Wow! It's... really awful.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Do any of these guy aging "rockers" realize how ridiculous they look with their hair dyed like that? Let it go, boys, Embrace your age.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Read on another forum that Bobby's current music partner, John Zaika and his daughter have confirmed he has dementia, which is very sad news.

Hehe! I had a call once from some producer who I had sent a demo to, who claimed he was Bobby Kimballs producer. The guy was just shopping for money. He said I should take out a second mortgage on my house so I could afford re-recording my song in his studio. I think he wanted 50k - for one song. When I told him I couldn't afford that, he asked if I had any relatives who could. The guy was a sheister for sure. He wanted me to talk on the phone with Bobby, so he could vouch for his sincerity…

I could have bought my own studio for what he was asking for just one song. I just let him go on for a while, He offered for Bobby to sing on it. To this day, I have no idea if the guy really knew Bobby Kimball or not, but he was clearly delusional. Said he could really make things happen for me.

Bobby Kimball had a fine voice, but it was not one that was destined for immortality. Last time I heard him sing he was obviously burned out.

^^ His name wasn't David Dennison, was it?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ His name wasn't David Dennison, was it?
    It was 18+ years ago, I sent out hundreds of demo's - I just don't recall. I chalked it up to another waisted demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    It was 18+ years ago, I sent out hundreds of demo's - I just don't recall. I chalked it up to another waisted demo.
    It was an inside joke for those who know who David Dennison is.