Thread: Saw Thank You Scientist / Bent Knee / Entransient Thursday Night In Grand Rapids MI

Saw Thank You Scientist / Bent Knee / Entransient Thursday Night In Grand Rapids MI

A few quick thoughts on this outstanding little triple bill prog show that I saw Thursday night at The Pyramid Scheme Club in Grand Rapids MI.

First up were Entransient from right here in Michigan. I saw these guys for the first time at ROSfest this year and really enjoyed them. They are an up and coming prog band from my home state who have two albums out. Their music mixes traditional prog with a heavy modern sound. I would not really call them metal, but they lean to the heavier side of the spectrum. Vocalist Scott Martin reminds me a bit of the singer southern rock band Black Stone Cherry, as their voices are kind of similar. Entransient did a nice 30 plus minute opening set that seemed to go over well with the early arriving crowd.

Bent Knee was up next and as usual they put on a wonderful high energy set. I know it is an old cliché, but if there was ever a band that could accurately be described as “you have to see them live” to appreciate them, it would be Bent Knee. I still find their albums to be only about half to my liking, but live, this band is such a powerhouse and brings so much life to their material that they need to be seen to be really appreciated. Courtney Swain is one of the best prog vocalists out there right now and the entire band are just perfect fits in their individual roles. They pulled out a significant amount of new material that I was not familiar with but scattered in a few older fan favorites as well. This band continues to appear to be slowly growing an audience and had the biggest crowd of the 3 bands on Thursday night.

The headliners Thank You Scientist came on last. This was my 5th time seeing these guys and they always put on a fun, sometimes crazy set. The band’s new album was being released at midnight, and they featured a lot of material from it. When I am asked to describe this band, it is always difficult to pigeonhole what they do. It is kind of prog, kind of jam, kind of jazz, kind of heavy, kind of alternative, just all over the place. They are all fantastic musicians and at one point did an instrumental that featured solos by everyone in the band (except the drummer) that really showed off everyone’s chops. These guys are simply a lot of fun and never disappoint. From the sounds of the new material they played, the new album should be a good one.

Overall it was a great night of music, all for $20. There was also a nice turnout for a weeknight.

Seeing them tomorrow in Covington, KY!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Had a totally unavoidable conflict last Saturday. They played in Ottawa. Anyone go?

Greg, I did see them in London, Ontario, the night before. An excellent show, and as Steve said, Bent Knee is definitely growing their fan base, as the line-up to buy their merch after the set, was a long one. TYS killed it, although the sound mix was a little weird...not much vocals at all really, but the material and the performance were very strong.

The new TYS album, Terraformer, is an absolute monster double album (and double CD, too), just loaded with musical goodness, and a very smooth sounding production sheen, that just barely contains, yet compliments, the chaotic nature of the music. Highly recommended.

neil

Couldn’t make the show in Milwaukee because of a prior commitment. Bummed because they are fantastic live. Have to pickup the new cd.

Just listened to “Terraformer” by TYS. This stuff is highly complex, expertly played and drips with amazing chops. Really great! Glad to see them getting some props!

ENVY

I am planning to go to the show Tuesday in Baltimore. Should be a god one.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Greg, I did see them in London, Ontario, the night before. An excellent show, and as Steve said, Bent Knee is definitely growing their fan base, as the line-up to buy their merch after the set, was a long one. TYS killed it, although the sound mix was a little weird...not much vocals at all really, but the material and the performance were very strong.

The new TYS album, Terraformer, is an absolute monster double album (and double CD, too), just loaded with musical goodness, and a very smooth sounding production sheen, that just barely contains, yet compliments, the chaotic nature of the music. Highly recommended.

neil
    Glad you had a good time Neil! Hopefully next time.

Just got back from Indianapolis where Bent Knee and the Thank You's had played at a club called The Citadel Music Hall. The venue was absolutely atrocious, i could go on forever with details but it's not worth it. The conditions were also miserable for the performers as well however with Bent Knee you would have never known, they carried on with chins up and put on a fabulous show, pretty much concentrating on newer material. They did end the show with Leak Water and i'm thinking it was probably meant as a reference to the water leaking through the ceiling of the venue.
    Thank You Scientist however were much more candid about the unprofessional and miserable conditions of the venue, their set was plagued with technical problems all night along with water dripping on stage. They did manage to pull off a fun and energetic set. This whole experience reminded me of the old punk shows in condemned buildings where you're hoping to get out before the cops and ambulances show up. My only hope is the bands got compensated fairly but i have a sinking feeling they probably got stiffed by this place.
    Last edited by progholio; 06-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Fantastic show in Covington, KY. Loved the pairing and the energy was great. TYS did mention their displeasure from Indianapolis' gig in colorful terms. I could tell both bands love sharing their live show. Energy was abundant. Came home with Courtney Swain's solo album and really enjoyed that on the long (rainy) ride home to Louisville. Catch this show.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Just got back from Indianapolis where Bent Knee and the Thank You's had played at a club called The Citadel Music Hall. The venue was absolutely atrocious, i could go on forever with details but it's not worth it. The conditions were also miserable for the performers as well however with Bent Knee you would have never known, they carried on with chins up and put on a fabulous show, pretty much concentrating on newer material. They did end the show with Leak Water and i'm thinking it was probably meant as a reference to the water leaking through the ceiling of the venue.
    Thank You Scientist however were much more candid about the unprofessional and miserable conditions of the venue, their set was plagued with technical problems all night along with water dripping on stage. They did manage to pull off a fun and energetic set. This whole experience reminded me of the old punk shows in condemned buildings where you're hoping to get out before the cops and ambulances show up. My only hope is the bands got compensated fairly but i have a sinking feeling they probably got stiffed by this place.
    Wow, that is too bad. The Grand Rapids venue has always been a decent place to see a show.

Don't forget the VIP seats at The Citadel!!