Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Anthony Phillips appreciators

For Anthony Phillips appreciators

Good Evening ~

I was listening to some Anthony Phillips this evening, went to his official websight for a look around... AND

An Evening of Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford solo albums (News date: 30-4-19, updated 8-5-19)
    Two shows by the US group Rocking Horse Music Club which will include the first ever live performances of music predominantly from Ant's albums The Geese & The Ghost, Wise After The Event and Sides are set to take place in November. The selection of Ant's music will be complimented by performances of additional songs from Mike Rutherford's first solo album Smallcreep's Day, which will feature the original vocalist on the album Noel McCalla. The shows are being staged with Ant and Mike's approval.
    Tickets for the shows, which will take place on 15th and 16th November 2019 at Trading Boundaries in Fletching, East Sussex, UK are available now.
    Update: An interview with producer Brian Coombes about the concerts is now available to read on the German Genesis Fan Club site.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Thanks for that, I live not too far from Fletching and love those albums so....

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Evening ~

I was listening to some Anthony Phillips this evening, went to his official websight for a look around... AND

An Evening of Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford solo albums (News date: 30-4-19, updated 8-5-19)
    Two shows by the US group Rocking Horse Music Club which will include the first ever live performances of music predominantly from Ant's albums The Geese & The Ghost, Wise After The Event and Sides are set to take place in November. The selection of Ant's music will be complimented by performances of additional songs from Mike Rutherford's first solo album Smallcreep's Day, which will feature the original vocalist on the album Noel McCalla. The shows are being staged with Ant and Mike's approval.
    Tickets for the shows, which will take place on 15th and 16th November 2019 at Trading Boundaries in Fletching, East Sussex, UK are available now.
    Update: An interview with producer Brian Coombes about the concerts is now available to read on the German Genesis Fan Club site.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Those are my absolute favorite Anthony Phillips and Rutherford's solo albums. This sounds very exciting but unfortunately I can't attend this very cool gig.
    Please tell me they'll have a couple of digital cameras set up to capture this special event. I'll even settle for soundboard audio for a DVD, but please no audience camera audio..):
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

This video has more information. There is a studio album of Ant covers being released around the time of the shows, and I would be surprised if the shows themselves aren't filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for that, I live not too far from Fletching and love those albums so....

Please go and then review it for us.

(I just watched that video...it is very exciting to hear that modern humans are doing this. But those of us that admire Ant and his music understand how timeless it is.)
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 06-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.

I've thought it would be really cool if Hackett would throw a post-Genesis Phillips piece or two into his band's repertoire. (for instance, Nightmare)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've thought it would be really cool if Hackett would throw a post-Genesis Phillips piece or two into his band's repertoire. (for instance, Nightmare)
    That is such a killer track and yes, Mr. Hackett could do it justice.

I saw this on Ant's site a while back and was really excited to hear that Noel McCalla wil be singing songs from Smallcrepp's Day. I always loved his voice and think it was a beatiful match for the music on that lovely record. I really, really hope this show gets properly documented visually and aurally!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I saw this on Ant's site a while back and was really excited to hear that Noel McCalla wil be singing songs from Smallcrepp's Day. I always loved his voice and think it was a beatiful match for the music on that lovely record. I really, really hope this show gets properly documented visually and aurally!
    Agreed. This was such a consistent album, thanks in part to Noel and especially Ant.

Hackett doing Nightmare? Wouldn't that be cool!

A short video of this project (without the talking) makes me even more curious about the album that's coming later this year:

Saw a note on Facebook that he's coming out with his first new album since 2012, "Strings of Light", and it will come with a companion disc in surround sound. It's not even mentioned on his web site yet, but I found this:

http://firebrandmanagement.com/blog/latest-news/

Text from the FB post:
    Esoteric Antenna is pleased to announce the release of Strings Of Light, the beautiful new album by Anthony Phillips.

For his first new album in seven years Anthony has composed and recorded the twenty-four pieces of music on this album, which span two CDs, utilising the many beautiful and rare guitars in his collection, all of which have made Strings Of Light one of the finest instrumental guitar albums of Anthony’s long and acclaimed career as a musician and composer.

This set is made even more special by the inclusion of a 5.1 Surround Sound mix of album on a DVD (NTSC / Region Free). After a seven year absence of new recorded work, Strings Of Light is a welcome return and a fine album by a legendary musician.

Strings of Light is due for release on 25th October 2019 and is available to pre-order now - visit https://bit.ly/31FwKmo for more information. Signed postcards are available with the album whilst stocks last.

Saw a note on Facebook that he's coming out with his first new album since 2012, "Strings of Light", and it will come with a companion disc in surround sound. It's not even mentioned on his web site yet, but I found this:

Text from the FB post:
    Very, very good news indeed.
    Thank you!

Text from the FB post:
    Excellent! I'm so glad to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Excellent! I'm so glad to hear about this.
    AUTO-BUY !!!!!!!
    G.A.S -aholic

Woo-hoo!

AUTO-BUY, indeed!

As many might already know, it has shown up on Ant's website for pre-order.

I have a nice little collection of those signed postcards...i look forward to adding another.

So I wonder if this will be just solo acoustic guitar like Field Day, or with multiple overdubbed guitars?

I'll be at the Trading Boundaries gig - with the a detachment of ReGenesis posse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    I'll be at the Trading Boundaries gig - with the a detachment of ReGenesis posse.
    Me jealous.

Please give us a full report after the gig.

I'm listening to a review copy of Strings Of Light right now in preparation for an interview with Ant - and it's beautiful stuff! Fans of his guitar playing will love it. Order with confidence.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm listening to a review copy of Strings Of Light right now in preparation for an interview with Ant - and it's beautiful stuff! Fans of his guitar playing will love it. Order with confidence.
    What else can you tell us about it? Is it mostly solo guitar, or are there overdubbed parts? Of course, I'll buy it, but I'm just curious to know.

What else can you tell us about it? Is it mostly solo guitar, or are there overdubbed parts? Of course, I'll buy it, but I'm just curious to know.
    Ha! My question exactly. Of course, I hope for at least some tracks with overdubbed parts, but yes autobuy either way

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Ha! My question exactly. Of course, I hope for at least some tracks with overdubbed parts, but yes autobuy either way
    It's all just guitar (and many different ones at that!) but it's quite a varied collection of pieces - and yes there are some overdubs, but it's not like he's ever sounding like five people at once or anything. He lists in the liner notes which guitar(s) he played for each piece. I don't want to list any details that I shouldn't at this early stage, but you'll see when you get the CD all the guitars he used (I'd never even heard of a 16-string!). The final track is a ten minute classical guitar piece he plays on a guitar from 1931, and specifically points out that there are no overdubs on that one.

It's a really beautiful album, I am not disappointed in the slightest! Looking forward to my chat with Ant, and to the thoughts on the album from you guys when you hear it.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's all just guitar (and many different ones at that!) but it's quite a varied collection of pieces - and yes there are some overdubs, but it's not like he's ever sounding like five people at once or anything. He lists in the liner notes which guitar(s) he played for each piece. I don't want to list any details that I shouldn't at this early stage, but you'll see when you get the CD all the guitars he used (I'd never even heard of a 16-string!). The final track is a ten minute classical guitar piece he plays on a guitar from 1931, and specifically points out that there are no overdubs on that one.

It's a really beautiful album, I am not disappointed in the slightest! Looking forward to my chat with Ant, and to the thoughts on the album from you guys when you hear it.
    Thank you for sharing that. I can't wait!! The timing will be perfect as we head into fall/winter in this hemisphere anyway.

If there weren't overdubs, I think the 5.1 would be pretty pointless. (I just got the Esoteric version of Field Day a few days ago but I haven't been able to give the surround mix any airing out yet)