Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For Anthony Phillips appreciators

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Thank you for sharing that. I can't wait!! The timing will be perfect as we head into fall/winter in this hemisphere anyway.
    Ditto! Autumn and winter are absolutely perfect for Ant’s music, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Also: Spring and Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Also: Spring and Summer.
    True!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^ That's cool, even a little nod to Tarka!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

An American Idol contestant singing an Invisible Men outtake.

Um... OK.

An American Idol contestant singing an Invisible Men outtake.

Um... OK.
    I see this as an absolute win.

My interview with Ant is now live...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/anth...ings-of-light/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

What an absolutely delightful interview! You asked excellent questions and Ant obliged with great responses.

I am clearly a fan so I am not terribly objective but this guy means everything to me. His music has been the soundtrack of my life. His pieces are like lovely gems that never lose their luster. One of the greatest pleasures in my life has been the continual chance at bringing home a new Ant record, sitting on the couch, and losing myself in that glorious sound. It started with a chance sighting of "Geese" in the bins when it first came out. It has been repeated many times; I hope it never stops.

The insane amount of variety in his catalog stumps me. How can this one guy range from "God if I saw Her Now" to "Credo in Cantus?"
    Answer: he is brilliant.

And so darn humble. It was nice to see him own up to some of that brilliance in your interview. Great job!

Thank you very, very much for this interview!

Thank you, Gizmotron! Your kind words are much appreciated!

And I agree with everything you said - I too am such an admirer of his music, in fact I told him that at the beginning of our conversation - not included in my article of course, but it was so nice for me to get the opportunity to actually tell him one-on-one that his entire catalogue adorns my shelves, to which he responded with much appreciation. He was every bit the polite, funny and chatty guy I expected him to be. An absolute 10 out of 10 when it comes to interviewees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    What an absolutely delightful interview! You asked excellent questions and Ant obliged with great responses.

I am clearly a fan so I am not terribly objective but this guy means everything to me. His music has been the soundtrack of my life. His pieces are like lovely gems that never lose their luster. One of the greatest pleasures in my life has been the continual chance at bringing home a new Ant record, sitting on the couch, and losing myself in that glorious sound. It started with a chance sighting of "Geese" in the bins when it first came out. It has been repeated many times; I hope it never stops.

The insane amount of variety in his catalog stumps me. How can this one guy range from "God if I saw Her Now" to "Credo in Cantus?"
    Answer: he is brilliant.

And so darn humble. It was nice to see him own up to some of that brilliance in your interview. Great job!

Thank you very, very much for this interview!
    Wonderful comments! I can't wait until I'm home so I can see this interview. He captures moods like no other. From Salmon Leap (PP&P1) to Basking Shark (Ivory Moon) to Tearaway (Field Day), the music of my heart!

Re: City of Dreams
    "It was an album that divided a lot of people. It had its supporters, but there were a lot of people who weren’t particularly keen, so that one… I wouldn’t say it put me off doing solo albums, but it certainly didn’t encourage me to do more."
    I don't get how people who otherwise like his albums would single that one out for criticism. I could see Invisible Men or Sail the World being less favored, but not that one.

on the interview!

Re: City of Dreams
    I don't get how people who otherwise like his albums would single that one out for criticism. I could see Invisible Men or Sail the World being less favored, but not that one.
    Agreed. As I told him, I really love that album. It's pure Ant Phillips IMO (from his keyboard side, of course). It's surprising to me that it had as many detractors as it did. It's probably in my ten most listened-to of his catalogue.

A surround sound version of Tarka has already been prepared , but its release is out of AP's hands .

Great interview, well done! Glad you got to have a great chat with Ant, and thanks for sharing!

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

A surround sound version of Tarka has already been prepared , but its release is out of AP's hands .
    Yeah, crazy eh? I'm hoping that gets resolved. It's been going on a while!

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Great interview, well done! Glad you got to have a great chat with Ant, and thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Mike! Much appreciated.

Great interview. Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know if Tarka was ever released on vinyl??

Quote Originally Posted by Jvalvano View Post
    Great interview. Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know if Tarka was ever released on vinyl??
    Thanks very much! And yes, Tarka was released on vinyl right from the beginning.

Thanks very much! And yes, Tarka was released on vinyl right from the beginning.
    Geez! I must have been having a senior moment. I HAVE Tarka on vinyl! Now I'm off to find my wife to make sure my other brain still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvalvano View Post
    Geez! I must have been having a senior moment. I HAVE Tarka on vinyl! Now I'm off to find my wife to make sure my other brain still works.
    Well, I'm glad we could solve that problem together!

Ant performs a track from his upcoming CD Strings of Light!

https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyPhil...5045292432896/

Delightful clip. His studio is beautiful.
    Anyone know exactly what instrument that was? Maybe a Spanish instrument?

I want to be Ant when i grow up.

^ It looks a little like a Vihuela, which is Spanish. Too many strings, though. I think.

That is a Bell Cittern. It's the one on the right in the photo on this page:

http://www.paulhathway.com/bell-cittern/