Thread: New John Wetton Box Set

New John Wetton Box Set

From Wetton's website:

Since John Wetton’s passing in January 2017, his family, friends and management have been working on finding a fitting tribute to such a remarkable man and iconic artist. The result of this labour of love is a box set entitled “An Extraordinary Life”, dedicated entirely to John’s solo career.
    The project has the full support of John’s wife, Lisa, and his son, Dylan, who are wholly involved with compiling the contents.

The set will include definitive, remastered editions of each of his six solo albums, with bonus tracks and artwork selected by John towards the end of his lifetime, and in some cases expanded to two discs:
    1. Caught in the Crossfire
    2. Battle Lines
    3. Arkangel
    4. Sinister
    5. Rock of Faith
    6. Raised in Captivity

An Extraordinary Life will also feature a lavish hardback “coffee table” book written by one of John’s friends, the journalist Nick Shilton. Nick has interviewed dozens of John’s collaborators, peers and associates, both in and out of the music business, as well as friends from his childhood and through all eras of his career, collecting a multitude of exclusive, poignant and wonderful stories along the way.
    This box set - a “must have” for every John Wetton fan - will also feature high resolution video tributes as well as unique bonus material. The Official John Wetton website will launch a dedicated webpage entitled “An Extraordinary Life” which will become an ever-evolving digital gathering place for the inner circle of John’s fans.

An Extraordinary Life will be completed during 2019 and initially be exclusively available via Burning Shed ahead of a wider scale retail release. The Burning shed store is now at https://burningshed.com/store/john-wetton

Coinciding with John’s 70th birthday today, Asia begins a 28 date USA tour as special guests of Yes on their Royal Affair Tour, which will premiere tonight in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy and John Lodge from the Moody Blues will also be on the bill. Asia’s new line-up comprises Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes Billy Sherwood, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal and a special guest appearance by Steve Howe. John Wetton’s great friend Roger Dean will have an
    exhibition at each show, including iconic Asia artwork.

Ricky Nelson has curated a special video recording of John’s last ever tour singing Asia songs, with the Rock Meets Classic arena tour in March 2015, where John delivers a supreme performance, one of his finest ever versions of “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes”. This will be a special release today at 12noon UK time from John’s twitter page.

Dylan Wetton says: “This is helping me come to terms with the loss of my Dad, and is opening my eyes to his genius. It is truly a labour of love”.

Lisa Wetton says: “When you open your box set for the first time, you will know that every person involved with its creation was touched deeply by John Wetton. You will be playing the music that revealed his personal life story, and you will be perpetuating a legacy that was meant to be a shining light for everyone. The physical light may have flickered out on January 31, 2017, but there is an extra radiant star aglow in the firmament today. It is my hope that when you listen, you will still feel the warmth from that light, and hear the Lion roar for generations to come”.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Interesting! I'm so glad I saw the reformed UK with John, Eddie, and Terrry in Montreal about 8 years ago.

Bumblefoot's in Asia?!

If the price isn't too steep, I may get this box set.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    If the price isn't too steep, I may get this box set.
    Yeah, same here. I only have one of his solo albums. I was all in on Asia and Icon, but just never got around to picking all of these up. Plus, I think one of them was originally released only in Japan, which drove the price up a bit at the time.

OP: You forgot the word "Forthcoming."
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 1 Week Ago at 08:37 PM. Reason: wink

From the press release - "Ricky Nelson has curated a special video recording of John’s last ever tour singing Asia songs, with the Rock Meets Classic arena tour in March 2015, where John delivers a supreme performance, one of his finest ever versions of “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes”." This is that video:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From the press release - "Ricky Nelson has curated a special video recording of John’s last ever tour singing Asia songs, with the Rock Meets Classic arena tour in March 2015, where John delivers a supreme performance, one of his finest ever versions of “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes”." This is that video:

Wow, John Wetton always has...........and continues to take my breath away.

Never did warm to John's solo stuff (or Asia), but he certainly was a talented man. And the boxed set looks like it was put together with love.

As often with these things, I've got all the original albums, so I don't want to buy them again. Will have to see what extras there are.

I think Caught in the Crossfire and Battle Lines are both very good, and somewhat different in style, unsurprising given they were many years apart. After that, you enter a less impressive period of Wetton's output. Arkangel's not bad, as far as I remember... not listened in a while... and the next too are OK. Raised in Captivity was awful, I thought.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Damn, that Smile Has Left Your Eyes performance is really good. Hopefully a professional recording of this surfaces on this boxset cause that was one of Wetton's most passionate vocal performances I have ever heard.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    OP: You forgot the word "Forthcoming."
    Unlike the original post about this.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post

man, I've always loved this big song. great to see Wetton really embrace the Tom Jones aspect of it too. really!

thanks for sharing
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think the one you linked to was the straggler. There's been quite a bit of that lately here, hasn't there?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    What's the saying? The candle always burns brightest just before it goes out.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think the one you linked to was the straggler. There's been quite a bit of that lately here, hasn't there?
    Yeah, this was the original post. I checked before posting about it. The other showed up a few hours later. As for not putting “forthcoming” in the title, I don’t usually do that if posting about new music or a new release. The “forthcoming” looks kinda silly when the release comes out and people are posting about it here in the same thread. Besides, a simple reading of the post will clue ya in that it is - at the moment - forthcoming. Not that any of this matters. lol.

^ The "Forthcoming" was a joke. At the time I saw it, both threads were side by side with the only difference in the title being that one word. Classic PE.

^ The "Forthcoming" was a joke. At the time I saw it, both threads were side by side with the only difference in the title being that one word. Classic PE.
    Ah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Wow. Just fantastic.

I'm still blown away at how strong his voice was at the end of his career, after all that he had been dealing with.

Of all of the proggers that we've lost these last few years, Wetton still hits me the most, for some reason.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There are a few people, well more than a few actually, but John Wetton, Chris Squire, and David Bowie seem to really tug at my heartstrings when I hear certain songs.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I just found a used copy of "ICON Live: Never in a Million Years" for $5. John Mitchell on guitar, Christie on drums...nice set if you like Asia ( I'm not a big fan) but I just love John's singing. So glad I got to see him with District 97 a few years back, as well as a special solo show in the '90s.