Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega rare songs ?

I would say the original demo of 'World Without Love' is right up there. I've always thought this was the best one that Lennon/McCartney 'gave away' in that period. As far as I know this demo has never surfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I would say the original demo of 'World Without Love' is right up there. I've always thought this was the best one that Lennon/McCartney 'gave away' in that period. As far as I know this demo has never surfaced.
    Yep, I was thinking of that one, myself. You are correct that no demo has surfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I am a die-hard Beatles fan and think the curiosity of Carnival of Light probably outweighs its significance and a composition, form what I've heard McCartney say.

OF course, the Rev 1 complete is out there, just not officially.

I would include Lennon's "Bad to Me," which was only in demo form. That was was one of many hits they gave away back then.
    There is some doubt whether the rev1 that's out in the open is a fake since it does not match the describtion of the track from Mark Lewisohns "recording sessions" book. And he is one of very few people who has actually heard the real deal.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Nat King Cole: The Little Boy That Santa Clause Forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    There is some doubt whether the rev1 that's out in the open is a fake since it does not match the describtion of the track from Mark Lewisohns "recording sessions" book. And he is one of very few people who has actually heard the real deal.
    I just checked my book and don't really see much of a description of the actual track. I have a lossless version of that take and I'm pretty convinced it's legit. I've been collecting Beatles boots for over 30 years and I've heard plenty of fakes during that time. This doesn't sound like one at all.

I just checked my book and don't really see much of a description of the actual track. I have a lossless version of that take and I'm pretty convinced it's legit. I've been collecting Beatles boots for over 30 years and I've heard plenty of fakes during that time. This doesn't sound like one at all.
    Agreed, there's no way this could be fake. And it does match what Lewissohn says about the track as far as I can tell.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I never heard Guts on My Side. Man, really decent. Me likey.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Lewisohn describes "discordant jamming with plenty of feedback". But what i hear is the same instrumental loop repeating with elements of Revolution 9 mixed in. (I'm aware that these things came from Revolution originally). The backtrack does not sound like discordant jamming to me. It sounds like the same 8 bars looped with someone doing clever editing in of things from Revolution 9. Notice that not once in the last 5 minutes do you hear a drumfill or anything on the backing track deviate. That is a far cry from discordant jamming, doing the exact same in 5 minutes.

That is why i'm not convinced. There is actually no jamming. There is nothing i could not sit down and make by copypasting from Revolution 1 and 9. (Including some of the alternate mixes of number 9). And you would think that for something described as "the sound of a revolution" and " discordant jamming" there would be elements in it that was unique to to those mythical last 5 minutes.

But really it's the backing track that just seems to loop with no variation at all that raises my suspicion. Jamming with no fills, no variation in guitars and bass......nah.....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Frank Zappa often gets accused of releasing everything he's ever recorded, however it is simply not true. For instance:

Bognor Regis. A off-cut from the "Hot Rats" sessions.

Hunchentoot. A rock opera a la Joe's Garage, but written during his jazz period in 1972 while he was still confined to a wheelchair. Songs late surfaced on the "Sleep Dirt" album and others, but its never been released in its entirety.

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Hunchentoot

Night of the Iron Sausage. The original, double version of Zoot Allures was to be titled "Night of the Iron Sausage". Most of it has appeaed elsewhere, but the title track (supposedly 9 minutes long) has never been released.

Rage and the Fury and Dance Me This. Reportedly both synclavier projects, but still in the vaults.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 02-27-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    But really it's the backing track that just seems to loop with no variation at all that raises my suspicion. Jamming with no fills, no variation in guitars and bass......nah.....
    But there is variation throughout the rest of that, which does, in fact, include some instruments. I think you're taking it a bit too literally. They were not really a jamming band in the sense that we might use it. But there is definitely some instruments that are not looping. John's feedback, a guitar or horn of some sort. And it does qualify as jamming and is certainly chaotic. Remember that this take 20 is take 18 (the one Lewisohn described) with additional overdubs of guitar and vocals, which was then reduced down to take 19. Then, additional loops (two takes that are not described) were created on June 4 and added and then reduced to take 20.

So, the Lewisohn description is of take 18, but what we're talking about here is take 20.

Pink Floyd, Syd-era:

"She Was a Millionaire" (mooted follow-up single to "See Emily Play." Lost.)
    "Speak" (aka "John Latham", an avant-garde film director, but that's who they recorded it FOR, not the name of it. Lost.)
    "One in a Million" - Waters song, bootlegged
    "Reaction in 'G'" - bootlegged
    "Stoned Alone" aka "Stoned Again" (Bootlegged. But the real title was almost certainly "Living Alone" or "I'm Living Alone." Syd later recorded a very different version as "Living Alone" and some say the recording sheet said "I'm Living Alone" although I've never actually seen the latter.)
    Last edited by ItalProgRules; 02-27-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Rage and the Fury and Dance Me This. Reportedly both synclavier projects, but still in the vaults.
    The Rage and the Fury is not a Synclavier project, but the Zappa-produced recording of the Ensemble Modern performing works of Varese.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Rage and the Fury is not a Synclavier project, but the Zappa-produced recording of the Ensemble Modern performing works of Varese.
    I stand corrected. Oh no! My fountain-of-knowledge status about all things Zappa is in danger! :-)

This song right here featuring Mikael from Opeth, and Dan from Edge of Sanity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsKQuKgy1H4
    Jason Weckerle

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jweckerle

Ivory Forest Myspace music page: www.myspace.com/ivoryforest1
    New updates are being made to the myspace page, but soon new music will be uploaded, and the page will be up and going again!

Oh shit, how could I forget the unedited version of Abacab? I remember when Tony Banks was interviewed in Keyboard magazine in 84 (think it was the August or September issue), he mentioned that the actual take of Abacab was something like 10 or 12 minutes, I forget what he said. He mentioned that they liked the whole track and wanted to release the whole thing, but there wasn't enough room on the album. I think he said they edited a couple bits out, then faded out the ending.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    19-minute version of Rush's "The Main Monkey Business"
    Chad

Did Rush ever release "Fancy Dancer"?

RUSH covered a Frankie Valli tune???

1978 Frankie Valli - Fancy Dancer (#77)/Needing You (Curb/Warner Bros WBS 8734)

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    RUSH covered a Frankie Valli tune???

1978 Frankie Valli - Fancy Dancer (#77)/Needing You (Curb/Warner Bros WBS 8734)
    Actually, it was in their set list in '74.

Actually, it was in their set list in '74.
    So they not only stole Frankie Valli's song, they went back in time to do so? Those crafty Canucks!

(I was keeding!)

I knew you were.

They did so a killer version of "Sherry" back when Geddy could hit the notes.

Rush themselves didn't officially release "Fancy Dancer", "Garden Road", or their cover of "Bad Boy", but all three are available on the ABC 1974 live album. That's a great, energetic show. If you can't get enough of young Geddy's "YEAH!"s, I highly recommend that one.

There's a 19-minute version of "The Main Monkey Business"?!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***