Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RUSH - Cinema Strangiato 2019

RUSH - Cinema Strangiato 2019

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-2019-theaters

The devoted legion of Rush fans may be missing their band, which has been in dry-dock since 2015. But they'll get a fix with the Aug. 21 cinematic screening of Rush: Cinema Strangiato 2019.

The Trafalgar Releasing and Anthem Entertainment event is being billed as the first "Annual Exercise in Fan Indulgence" and will feature a hodge-podge of song performances, including "Tom Sawyer," "Closer to the Heart" and "Subdivisions," unreleased soundcheck and backstage footage from the 2015 R40 40th anniversary tour, and new interviews with producer Nick Raskulinecz and Rush peer fans Billy Corgan, Tom Morello and Taylor Hawkins, who inducted the Canadian trio into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with fellow Foo Fighter Dave Grohl in 2013. Singer-bassist Geddy Lee, meanwhile, sat for a new interview about Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass, which was published in December. "I'm excited for fans to see some new clips from our R40 tour but also a peek behind the scenes of making the Big Beautiful Book of Bass," Lee said.

The film event is as close as we're likely to come to a Rush reunion. Lee told Billboard in December that prospects of he, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart regrouping in any form is "highly unlikely. Neil has retired and has no interest to play anymore. Alex and I...it's possible. We'll see. I'm sure something else will come along for me to do." Lee nevertheless voiced support for archival projects, such as album box sets the group has been putting out.

"As long as they do it with a high level of quality and the fans appreciate them and having these obscure tracks here and there, that's fine," Lee said. "They pass everything by us to make sure we sign off on it, and there are discussions that go on from time to time. As long as it's a quality thing they're releasing, I'm good with that."

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good news, I wonder if I'll be able to see it here in Englandshire? A DVD will be along afterwards I expect...

DVD for me, no theater around here will run it. I don't care for Geddy's voice on this tour but that never stopped me from buying a Rush DVD before.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks for sharing Progatron! This is wonderful news indeed and I surely hope they release Cinema Strangiato 2019 on Blu-ray later on in the year.

Can't wait !! CHEERS

All right!!!! this calls for a 3 month long review of everything they have ever released before heading out to see this....

^
    True! A great excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    DVD for me, no theater around here will run it. I don't care for Geddy's voice on this tour but that never stopped me from buying a Rush DVD before.
    Re Geddy's voice, I have to say that his live vocals over the years have often been bad but it seems that people often turn a blind eye or rather blind ear to it or just don't care. They were particularly bad on the farewell tour and yet they're happy to release a live cd/dvd of it as if his voice was fine. Strange isn't it? Or maybe its just me..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Or maybe its just me..
    No, it's not you. I can't listen to him at all.

Love the guy, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Re Geddy's voice, I have to say that his live vocals over the years have often been bad but it seems that people often turn a blind eye or rather blind ear to it or just don't care. They were particularly bad on the farewell tour and yet they're happy to release a live cd/dvd of it as if his voice was fine. Strange isn't it? Or maybe its just me..
    Sigh, Yeah Ged's vox was pretty much toast the last 4-5 tours. I have always suspected that some of Neils resentment towards touring was at least partially related to how Geddy sang those wonderful lyrics. They seemed to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride - even when he could sing the parts. His playing was always amazing, but the lyrics seemed to be delivered, well, badly. I know Neil would never, ever say anything about that, but how could it not trouble him at least a bit? Sometimes, only about half the lyrics of a song could be considered "well delivered". Not well timed, not particularly expressive - always, just kind of "there". Almost like an afterthought, like "you don't actually expect me to sing this do you? - I may be way off, but as critical as they are about one anothers performances, there has to be at least some thought there like... "you're the singer, Sing it like its a part of the song!" Working to be so perfect at everything else, and leaving the voice so - compromised. - I may be way off, but its always in my thoughts when I watch the DVD's of their past maybe 15 years?

On the flip side, I wonder if inside they miss it, all three of them. What an experience to walk away from. The so-called "phony" Limelight aside. I have started playing again live, and despite my age, I find I still enjoy performing. I quit for 20 years because I was sick of playing crap for uncaring people (don't do that!). There are people who do care - maybe not many, but Rush has tens of thousands', if not hundreds of thousands' people who dearly LOVE their shows. Its just a big wow to think they have been able to shut it off like a spicket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    All right!!!! this calls for a 3 month long review of everything they have ever released before heading out to see this....
    Well, I'll have to reread the typewriter-on-blue-paper document "A Condensed Rush Primer" signed by Neil that I got from the fan club in ´77 or so to get the history right (if I can find it)
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I just ordered Grace Under Pressure Tour Live. I would like a full show from the Signals tour but this will do. I will play it until my wife gets sick of it and then play it some more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I already have the R40 DVD so this live footage is nothing new and it features Ged's vocals at their worst. Having some new talking heads in it (or old ones, back again) does little to make it appealing. Best thing this can be is a fun night out with friends. Some sort of retrospective would be more interesting with footage of better days. But whatever....

Getting the DVD.

This is showing in a TON of theaters but I don't know if I want to see and odds and sods clip show on the big screen. I hope it's more of Geddy talking about his basses and unreleased live and behind the scenes footage.

Sigh, Yeah Ged's vox was pretty much toast the last 4-5 tours. I have always suspected that some of Neils resentment towards touring was at least partially related to how Geddy sang those wonderful lyrics. They seemed to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride - even when he could sing the parts. His playing was always amazing, but the lyrics seemed to be delivered, well, badly. I know Neil would never, ever say anything about that, but how could it not trouble him at least a bit? Sometimes, only about half the lyrics of a song could be considered "well delivered". Not well timed, not particularly expressive - always, just kind of "there". Almost like an afterthought, like "you don't actually expect me to sing this do you? - I may be way off, but as critical as they are about one anothers performances, there has to be at least some thought there like... "you're the singer, Sing it like its a part of the song!" Working to be so perfect at everything else, and leaving the voice so - compromised. - I may be way off, but its always in my thoughts when I watch the DVD's of their past maybe 15 years?

On the flip side, I wonder if inside they miss it, all three of them. What an experience to walk away from. The so-called "phony" Limelight aside. I have started playing again live, and despite my age, I find I still enjoy performing. I quit for 20 years because I was sick of playing crap for uncaring people (don't do that!). There are people who do care - maybe not many, but Rush has tens of thousands', if not hundreds of thousands' people who dearly LOVE their shows. Its just a big wow to think they have been able to shut it off like a spicket.
    I got nothin'

Interesting take. I am someone who is a keyboardist who "taught himself" bass and sang at the same time. Yes, we also played Rush songs and I of course couldn't help but identify with Geddy. I then formed 3RDegree and year by year their influence shrank as we came into our own. But they're always "there" I suppose.

I do feel his vocals of course changed. They deepened and he had to find other ways to...approach the notes he once sang. I'm not as down on it all as you are above but it's interesting hearing the Neil angle you think about. It's only in the last few years that I "paid attention" to the things my singer/keyboardist would be "concerned" about regarding vocal delivery, what words sounded good or band sung and spacing out the set list to give him a song that's easier to sing after a more difficult one and things like that. I do know that Neil is cool with lines that are not good to sing so Geddy gives them back and asks for something else with less words or syllables or whatever. I doubt Neil harbors ill will toward Geddy. Those guys are pros and work like hell. I really doubt Neil would have a problem with Geddy physically being unable to deliver something just as I'm sure Geddy respects Neil going out on top after R40 also because of physical issues.

Yeah, Neil wrote about this a bit in "Losing It". I am *this* close to not playing on stage again because of our playing mostly...un-fun concerts and I can't say I'll totally miss "the stage" but to know you have that audience out there ready to pay to see you do what you once loved? What a dream but I don't fault them for ceasing operations and if they never play again you can't help but love that practically no other band just stopped after just a little bit of hinting. No true "farewell tour", no "victory lap". Nada.

Really getting off on the Grace Under Pressure Tour disc - the recording has a lot of punch. Alex was particularly on fire that night.

hey let's get all the out takes from all the documentaries and put together another release..... Rush fans will buy anything at this point.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I got nothin'
    Me either.

*spigot
    Chad

Rush Fan Day video, interview with Geddy & Alex - 43 minutes, haven't watched yet but should be good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrst...st=WL&index=18

Rush Fan Day video, interview with Geddy & Alex - 43 minutes, haven't watched yet but should be good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrst...st=WL&index=18
    Saw this back in January when it originally happened. Hopefully Sunday's interview with Geddy with Peter Collins and Nick Raskulinecz in Nashville will prove more informative.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, no kidding that Geddy's voice didn't sound good on this tour!:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...sWFA5VemgD5cYQ

Yike.

Well, this certainly looks interesting, but I somehow didn't see it when it was first posted, and I'm working Wednesday nights now, so it's not on for me. And anyway, all the theaters it is playing is at least an at least 90 minute public transportation ride each direction for me. But just for gits and shiggles, I looked up the transportation options up on Google Maps, and I actually found some interesting things to do on my days off for the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, no kidding that Geddy's voice didn't sound good on this tour!:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...sWFA5VemgD5cYQ

Yike.
    That's part the bonus disc on the R40 CD/DVD released a few years back.

I'm holding out for the DVD because I have most of this on DVD anyway it seems.
    Hopefully there's enough Geddy talking about his book and showing off his basses to make the DVD worthwhile.

You've got two days...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.