Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RUSH - Cinema Strangiato 2019

Really cool and insightful interview. I think he gave up more information than Geddy or Neil would appreciate. I can see now why Neal Hated touring.. It sounds like he and Geddy just kind of removed the crowd - and band experience from their monitoring. Its funny how they had such different mixes, and the two of them just treated it like a job. They actually built the wall that Roger Waters only dreamed of. If I just heard myself and almost nothing else in my mix, playing live would be such an indifferent experience. Like the audience isn't there. I cant imagine that would be an enjoyable thing, Like Alex says... " How can you stand to listen to that?" At least Alex seems like he was aware of the live audience he was in the room with. I have heard Neil talk about looking out at the audience and recognizing certain people, but they must have looked like Imbiciles to him. He couldn't hear them, and saw them acting like nuts. I am surprised he even looked at them. Keeping Geddy and Alex out of his mix kind of fly's in the face of him talking about how they would play off of one another and strive for perfection when one would have a bad night... It sounds like he didn't really pay attention to anyone else. What an odd world that would be. Kind of the same thing goes for Geddy..

I don't mean to criticize how they chose to perform on stage, They were an Awesome live band, but it sure sounds like the reality of the live music experience for them was kind of hum-drum (pun intended). Kind of makes me sad that all that energy I expended at their concerts was not that appreciated. It is all about me, I know...

Of course, maybe I am reading too much into this. I know wearing those in ear monitors really does save your hearing, but also really removes the crowd from your consciousness. Of course now most people shut out the world with ear buds. This is kind oft he same thing. Insightful. But who would miss touring if that was the experience you were having night after night?

^^^^

I think you're reading too much into some of the comments. The band have to be able to hear whatever they need to enable them to play the music. Listening to the audience is hardly a priority when you're trying to play complex songs like Rush. Even for a band that have been doing it for years it is no easy task to just get up there and play, having read all of Neil Peart's books I can really feel how he suffered for his art to get it right every night. The audience should be enjoying themselves but for the band it is very hard work especially as they get older.

A few years ago I was thrilled to hear Geddy say in an interview that he was a fan of Humble Pie, probably my favorite non-prog band back in the day. Now I hear Alex say one of the reasons for wanting a hollow body electric was seeing Mike Nesmith with one on the Monkees TV series and I'm thrilled again!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    A few years ago I was thrilled to hear Geddy say in an interview that he was a fan of Humble Pie, probably my favorite non-prog band back in the day. Now I hear Alex say one of the reasons for wanting a hollow body electric was seeing Mike Nesmith with one on the Monkees TV series and I'm thrilled again!

The "non-prog" influences have always been there, they just aren't widely known.

They seem to be coming out a bit more over the last several years.

***Cinema Strangiato 2021 The Directors Cut***

just saw it last night, man was it fantastico!
    The Cynus X-1 content with the possibly last recorded, epic Neil Peart drum solo was worth the price of admission.
    The movie clocked in at just under 3 hours and could have easily gone another 3. The concept of the R-40 tour was just sheer brilliance the way it starts off with the Clockwork Angels set and keep morphing into the stage sets of the past while going backwards with the material.
    Very interesting seeing this in a different light now knowing that Neil was diagnosed and knowing the reasons for this being the farewell tour. He exited a true warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

The Cynus X-1 content with the possibly last recorded, epic Neil Peart drum solo was worth the price of admission.
    The movie clocked in at just under 3 hours and could have easily gone another 3. The concept of the R-40 tour was just sheer brilliance the way it starts off with the Clockwork Angels set and keep morphing into the stage sets of the past while going backwards with the material.
    Very interesting seeing this in a different light now knowing that Neil was diagnosed and knowing the reasons for this being the farewell tour. He exited a true warrior.
    Thanks for your insights. I saw the previous version (minus extra content) but missed it this time because there were ONLY 28 tickets available that sold like lightning! Covid reduced seating really messed up availability besides I live in a small market where only one cinema was showing it, crap! Hope to see that Cygnus content sometime to be released, I'll be checking "Rush is a band" fan site for that ;-)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

From everything I have read, Neil wasn't diagnosed until about six months after the tour ended.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    From everything I have read, Neil wasn't diagnosed until about six months after the tour ended.
    Indeed, I recall the same thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I thought that was the case as well. Progholio may be thinking of the problems Neil was having with his feet.

Well, not all Rush fans will miss out after all, Rush has made the Directors' Cut available for a limited time ending October 10, second chance!! :-))

https://www.stellartickets.com/o/tra...6-93c2f3078ae1