Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUSH - Cinema Strangiato 2019

H'mmm. Listening to that clip, Geddy's voice sounds OK to me except when he strains to reach the old screechy high notes. They've got the screech, but not the notes. If he ever goes out on the road again he should do as (for example) Elton John and Roger Daltrey have done, and sing in his current register.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Impressions from the Stockholm screening - well worth seeing, good concert and backstage footage, some really rocking band moments, but the sound was lousy (they do show a guy drumming but not easy to hear), and unfortunately some face palms regarding Geddys vocals
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

3 theaters in the Twin Cities.

only showing at 3 fucking theaters???? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Impressions from the Stockholm screening - well worth seeing, good concert and backstage footage, some really rocking band moments, but the sound was lousy (they do show a guy drumming but not easy to hear), and unfortunately some face palms regarding Geddys vocals
    Ok, so I'm not the only who found the sound mixing totally shit then

At the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem, PA I did not think the sound was all that bad.
    Actually I though the sound was pretty good!
    Sold out show too.

The wife and I saw this last night -- good stuff but TIME STANDS STILL is more interesting.
    And the posts above are correct.............the sound was not the best.
    What made it even more fun was that the air conditioning in our theater went down.............muggy hot.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Saw it last night. The sounds was fine in King of Prussia. It was certainly enjoyable. Geddy's voice is what it is. He's older, yes, but you know what? He really went for it on this final tour and I applaud him for that. Musically, the performances were very powerful. Great versions and a lot of great closeups on guitar and bass playing. While a lot of that material has been seen before, the added bits were good (Trailer Park Boys, Jonathan Dinklage, Tom Morello and his wife, Taylor Hawkins, Nick Raskulinecz, Billy Corgan, some of the backstage footage). The best part for me was the compilations of all their skit bloopers edited together. Great stuff.

I personally found Time Stands Still to be a slog. I didn't like that the guys were interviewed separately. As a farewell type release, it would have been really nice to have Neil in the same room as Geddy and Alex. I also couldn't take all the RushCon stuff. It really made me cringe.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I also couldn't take all the RushCon stuff. It really made me cringe.
    Man, I hear you there. Just what I need, a lengthy segment focusing on the type of people I've had to endure in the concert lineups over the years, but this time in my home.

IN MY HOME! WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS! Where my children play with their toys.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Yeah, Time Stand Still was more a bummer than anything. But, the inclusion of that bonus footage from the Presto tour was a nice plus.

I wondered how much of this "movie" was recycled. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

I wasn't going to go but eventually got sucked in, wifee and me are both fans and she said she was going with or without me, so......

Only complaint was the sound, it was pretty good overall but i think the theater is mostly responsible for it not being optimal.

The performance footage and song selection were great especially the inclusion of Losing It.
    One of the highlights was the scene of Neil running to the bus and high tailing it out after a show.
    And the Snider song.

The meet and greet scene was interesting (my home town btw, we were at that show), "only Geddy and Alex will be present". (on a side note I have a friend who years back had a connection to the band, he invited me to the Presto show which we had comped seats and meet & greet - we waited in the "green room" for over an hour to be told Mr Peart had extenuating circumstances that forced them to leave..... so adios).

I would have liked more performance footage and less interviews unless it were with people closely associated with the band (Nick Raskulinecz was fine, Mr & Mrs Tom Morello and Billy Corgan added nothing).

I had no problems with Geddy's voice and was shocked how well he could muster up Anthem and What You're Doing (what was in that bottle that he drank?).

All in all this film reaffirms my memory of what a great show i saw on the R-40 tour and belief that it was the right time for Rush to end it on a very high note. Well done!

One last take-away is my dream job would have been Mr Peart's assistant on those motorcycle expeditions.

The best part for me was the compilations of all their skit bloopers edited together
    Hopefully this can be booted onto YT at some point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Too much R40 material thrown in, about 90% I would say - felt kind of ripped off.

The only new material in essence are the interviews with other musicians, Geddy's book stuff, Neil's motorbike travels and the comedic sketch by The Trailer Park Boys from Nova Scotia Canada! The other watchmaker and chimpanzee Rush are also repeats. Too bad: no Peter Dinklage interview.

Enjoyable but my preference is for the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" film much more, by far. Sound wasn't so bad actually.

It was sold out BTW but in Halifax there isn't much to do anyway.

I agree. If I wanted to watch the R40 show, I would have stayed home with the Blu-ray. While it was fun to see them on the big screen, I would have liked more non-concert footage, interviews with the band, more backstage and soundcheck footage, etc.

The most interesting thing about the entire film was the final frame that said "See You Next Year." I can't imagine it's anything to do with an album or tour (I am 100% convinced that Neil Peart is done), so it's intriguing. We do know that the Permanent Waves 40th anniversary edition is coming next year. That was confirmed by a trailer at the beginning.
    Chad

I agree. If I wanted to watch the R40 show, I would have stayed home with the Blu-ray. While it was fun to see them on the big screen, I would have liked more non-concert footage, interviews with the band, more backstage and soundcheck footage, etc.
    This ^^^. I have the R40 DVD, I would have liked more non-performance footage. I really enjoyed the segments with Jonathan Dinklage, Nick R, and Corgan. Very relatable. I thought the audio mix was slightly odd, but OK. As a bass player, you may never hear me say this again, but I thought the bass was oddly high in the mix, even for Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    As a bass player, you may never hear me say this again, but I thought the bass was oddly high in the mix, even for Rush.
    Geddy's showing off that bass collection and trying to sell books.
    Chad

i thought the same thing, you could definitely distinguish the tone of those vintage basses he was using.

i'm going out on a limb and saying i like his Jazz bass tone on the older tunes better than the Ric

BTW, apparently the "See You Next Year!" message at the end of the film refers to the plan to do a yearly "Cinema Strangiato" in theaters. There is also no plan to release this one on DVD/Blu-ray since so much of the material is already released on the R40 sets and beyond.
    Chad

My Favorite Headache on Vinyl?

I could go for a Victor vinyl release personally.

Yes he is!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i thought the same thing, you could definitely distinguish the tone of those vintage basses he was using.

i'm going out on a limb and saying i like his Jazz bass tone on the older tunes better than the Ric
    Can't agree with you there, but it is a fine tone. I just played a one-off Rush tribute show on bass/keys/pedals and really had my Ric dialed in. (It was all '84 and earlier with a lot of deep cuts). His Jazz thru SansAmp tone is just a little too "modern" to me. I would almost say generic in the hands of a lesser player. The Ric through SVTs or Ashley pres has a certain "grunt" and personality all its own.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    My Favorite Headache on Vinyl?

I could go for a Victor vinyl release personally.
    I'd take both thanks, provided I cn find some information about how they are mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This ^^^. I have the R40 DVD, I would have liked more non-performance footage. I really enjoyed the segments with Jonathan Dinklage, Nick R, and Corgan. Very relatable. I thought the audio mix was slightly odd, but OK. As a bass player, you may never hear me say this again, but I thought the bass was oddly high in the mix, even for Rush.
    I passed on this because it seems like there was only about 30 minutes of footage that was never on a previous DVD. However, it turns out that some of the R40 footage was remixed or re-edited.

I'm hoping it was a different version because then I'd be much happier about buying the DVD, which I'd planned to get anyway despite the interviews.

I agree with NF2. I felt a bit ripped off and didn't know it would basically be R40 in a theater. Bonuses weren't that big a deal. And...Yep, the bass and guitar were really high in the mix. I saw it in Quebec City btw while on vacation and HOLY SHIT was it LOUD! I seriously needed my ear plugs but didn't bring them. And my son really had a horrible time. I thought there'd be a lot more stuff with Geddy's bass book and more interesting commentary.

Again next year? I love Rush but at some point....it's going to be beating a dead horse territory

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    New long interview with Alex at Sweetwater Sound.
    I'm not supposed to say anything, but it will be announced soon enough: Lifeson & Lee are going on tour next fall with a drum machine. But this won't be your father's Phil Collins drum machine of the 80s. Oh no, it will be a super A.I. drum machine that won't make all the mistakes that Peart made.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    New long interview with Alex at Sweetwater Sound.

"Long" is in the eyes of the beholder, but totally worth it anyway.