Thread: "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt 2" and "Rapture" from Blondie

"Another Brick in the Wall, Pt 2" and "Rapture" from Blondie

I did a quick search looking for anyone comparing these two songs. Found a horrendously bad attempt at a remix on YouTube. However, I was wondering if anyone had ever asked Chris Stein about "Rapture" and why it has striking similarities to the Pink Floyd song. They might be in the same key or close enough. The tempos almost match up (although Rapture tends to stray a bit at times with slow downs and speed ups). However, the ending guitar solo to Rapture is incredibly similar to the Floyd song. Brick was released in 79 and Rapture in 81 so we know which was the influence. I've just never read if anyone mentioned it to the members of Blondie.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Well, it's been a long time since I've heard Rapture, but the parts of the song I can hear in my head don't sound anything like Another Brick In The Wall, apart from the fact that they were both obviously built for the dance floor, as it were. And before you suggest that Pink Floyd would never stoop to recording a "dance" track, or worry about things like "charts" or "hits", consider that they had lost all of their mid/late 70's earnings in an investment scheme that went South. They literally needed a hit. I think that's got a lot to do with why both Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 and Run Like Hell finished up the way they did.

As far as who influenced whom, I think it was less a matter of Blondie being influenced by Pink Floyd as both bands being influenced by dance music at that point.

i wonder if Rush's Roll The Bones was inspired by Blondie's Rapture.

Well, the guitar solo at the end of "Rapture" has a Gilmour-esque sound to it especially in its tone. Mileage may vary whether this is influence by Floyd or not. To my ear, there is a connection.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Well, the guitar solo at the end of "Rapture" has a Gilmour-esque sound to it especially in its tone. Mileage may vary whether this is influence by Floyd or not. To my ear, there is a connection.
    I sort of know what you mean there about the guitar tone, but who knows how many guitarists got a similar tone, simply by playing a Strat through a fuzztone.

Now you want to talk about something that really sounds like David Gilmour (but isn't, apparently) is Referendum (Legend) by Roy Harper. I always thought that had to be one of the tracks Gilmour played on, on that particular Harper album (thanks to the vague musician credits on the back cover), but apparently it's actually Chris Spedding, with Gilmour only playing on The Game.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Now you want to talk about something that really sounds like David Gilmour (but isn't, apparently) is Referendum (Legend) by Roy Harper. I always thought that had to be one of the tracks Gilmour played on, on that particular Harper album (thanks to the vague musician credits on the back cover), but apparently it's actually Chris Spedding, with Gilmour only playing on The Game.
    Ever heard Spedding's "Guitar Jamboree," where he did imitations of various guitar heroes? The very last impersonation on the record is of Dave Gilmour.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I sort of know what you mean there about the guitar tone, but who knows how many guitarists got a similar tone, simply by playing a Strat through a fuzztone.

If you want to hear Spedding doing Gilmour, check out the song Hot River from Nick Mason’s Fictitious Sports.