Thread: Greg Lake - Songs of a Lifetime

Greg Lake - Songs of a Lifetime

I found this new album by Greg Lake in my local independent record store today (HEAD, Leamington Spa, just below HMV which is currently in the middle of a closing down sale). I must admit I wasn't convinced that an album recorded live with backing tapes (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) with chat between songs would be that great.

I was wrong. Absolutely loved it. I may end up taking out the 'chats' between songs, but there is really something magical about hearing Greg Lake singing these songs alongside stories - the one about 'Oh Lucky Man' is inspirational, and the story about the cover art for Court of the Crimson King is quite sad.

I was surprised to see it in a store - not in this store, as they tend to stock a fair few Esoteric titles (Although not as many as I'd like) - but mainly because it's not supposed to be released until tomorrow!

Shall defo get the DVD !

Hoping to afford it someday! I am still upset that I missed his West Coast tour last May.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Whats the story about Cover art for Crimson King ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Whats the story about Cover art for Crimson King ?
    The artist died shortly after the album was released - he was only 24.

A nice legacy though, I see that artwork a lot, whenever prog or KC is mentioned. Indeed, a sad story.

Did anybody hear his audio book autobiography? Any reviews?

This is now up on Amazon - d/l'd it for a listen later on and definitely looking forward to it

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Anyone else got this? What do you reckon to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    Anyone else got this? What do you reckon to it?
    I was disappointed that the official cd doesn't include the versions of Shakin' All Over and Bold As Love (really fine version of this song too) that Greg did on this tour, but those were probably omitted due to copyright/royalties issues(?) Also, the cd features tracks taken from various locations on the tour--without indicating which song comes from which venue--ala Welcome Back My Friends...
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Also, the cd features tracks taken from various locations on the tour--without indicating which song comes from which venue--ala Welcome Back My Friends...
    I'm sure you know this by now, but WBMF was recorded at the Anaheim Convention Center on 2/10/74, except for Jeremy Bender/The Sheriff, which was recorded on 4/10/73 in Ludwigshafen, Germany.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I'm sure you know this by now, but WBMF was recorded at the Anaheim Convention Center on 2/10/74, except for Jeremy Bender/The Sheriff, which was recorded on 4/10/73 in Ludwigshafen, Germany.
    Actually, i didn't. Thanks for the info! Since i only own this one on vinyl and never bothered to look it up on wiki, etc.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')