Thread: R.I.P. Andre Matos (Vocals/Keys with Angra)

R.I.P. Andre Matos (Vocals/Keys with Angra)

Only 47 years old...The cause has not yet been reported, he was an amazing singer.

It was announced on the Facebook page of Shaman, his current prog-metal band:

Fate brought us together, separated us, gathered us and now preached more this with us.
    It is with deep pain in our hearts that we say goodbye to Andre once again, this time definitively.
    In addition to the wound that you never had, and even knowing that we spend glorious moments next to our companion and friend, there will forever be the best of
    R.I.P

These are two of of my favorites of theirs with Andre on lead:

He never stopped performing after he split with Angra though - he was a constant "guest vocalist" with Avantasia, even appearing with them earlier this month:
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 06-08-2019 at 02:31 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Angra is one of my all-time favorite metal bands, and Andre Matos was a truly great singer. Rest in peace, Andre Matos.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Angra has released this statement:

"With a lot of pain we received the news of the passing of Angra is in mourning. André was indispensable for the success and consecration of this band. The contribution of his talent and presence is invaluable.

There are no words right now that describe the size of the void left in the hearts of those who loved him closely and far Brazil loses an irreplaceable talent of the genre heavy metal and with it dies the hope of seeing it on our stages again.

May the angels receive your soul and may the goddess of fire keep the flame of her artistic legacy alight always. R.I.P. Andre Matos."

AVANTASIA leader Tobias Sammet wrote on his Facebook page: "I am devastated by the tragic news about the passing of my friend André Matos whom I shared the stage with only five days ago. I am in shock. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Rest in peace, André Matos."
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 06-08-2019 at 06:01 PM.

My favorite singer is dead ...I'm pretty gutted about this.

I never got to see him live either (should have in 2009, but the Work Visa's took too long to clear for them to play at ProgPowerUSA after being confirmed).

I'm likely going to spill my guts about this in my blog tonight.