Thread: Understanding and Translating Italian Prog

Understanding and Translating Italian Prog

People ask me – they say – “Dave, how come you like Italian Prog so much when you don’t understand or speak Italian?”
    Well, I do – I’m self-taught. In the beginning, it was somewhat difficult and because it’s so very important to understand the mostly vapid lyrics that most music delivers (excused are Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Goblin, Galie, KISS, etc.) I have tasked myself to learn how to translate to understand the full meaning of what I’m listening to and the atmosphere associated.

A couple of caveats on my way to discovery: 1) All western languages are rooted from the same place, so there’s really not that much difference (except for the British – they invented the English language and we Americans had to fix it. Fly into Glasgow and get a taxi to your hotel. I dare you. And if you find yourself on the east side of London, God help you. As far as eastern US Georgia is concerned, all’yall make no sense whatsoever).

2) You can use languages you’ve learned in school to help along the way. Me, well I had 6 years of French and 6 years of Russian (not helping!) and 6 years of US Southern drawl (it’s warmer down here). I now live in Austin Texas, which is not as bad as Miami, but it may just as well be. There’s more Spanish spoken here than English – so I’m going to use that to my advantage!

Okay, let’s get started –
    Some of it shouldn’t be too much of a struggle, although you may find some surprises:

ITALIANO ENGLISH
    New Trolls: New Trolls
    Stormy Six: Stormy Six
    Darwin! (BMS album): Darwin!
    Formula 3: Formula Tray (see, you wouldn’t have known that unless you knew how it was pronounced – there’s some involvement with a science lab here)

Okay, let’s move onto more familiar territory:

PFM’s ‘Per un Amico’: ‘Per a friend’ (remember, ‘amigo’.)
    Darwin!: Darwin!
    Storia di un Minuto: Story of the Minute
    Ys: Yes

See? It’s really not hard at all! We just now need to extend this to the bigger landscape:

ITALIANO ENGLISH
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso: Bank of the Mutual Sarcophagus (Mutual Sarcophagus Bank)
    Premiata Formiera Marconi: Premium Farina Macaroni
    Alusa Fallax: The Elusive Phalanx
    Festa Mobile: Happy Car (or ‘Party Car’, depending on which part of Italy you come from.)

Some just require some outside knowledge:

Le Orme: The Orm (this comes from a Star Trek episode or a Doctor Who one, I can’t remember which)

Album and Song titles fall right into place as well. As an example, I’m going to use Il Bacio della Medusa’s (‘Medusa’s Balls’ – remember Bocce balls? See how easy this is? You just make the link!) 2nd album - Discesa Agl'inferi D'un Giovane Amante (‘The Fiery Diseases of Johnny Amante’) as an example:

ITALIANO ENGLISH
    Preludio: Il Trapasso: Prelude: The Trap’s Lasso
    Confessione D'Un Amante: Johnny’s Confession
    La Bestia E Il Delirio: The Beast and It’s Delirious!
    Recitativo: È Nel Buio Che Risplendono Le Stelle: The Star’s Splendid Resuscitation Near a Burro.
    Ricordi Del Supplizio: Supply Records
    Nostalgia Pentimento E Rabbia: Reminiscing about Pimentos and Rabbis
    Sudorazione A Freddo Sotto Il Chiaro Di Luna: The South Side of Fred’s Charred Moon
    Melencolia Melon Cola
    E Fu Allora Che Dalle Fiamme Mi Sorprese Una Calda Brezza Celeste:
    And F**You For Allowing My Suppressed Cold Beverage ‘Celeste’ To Be Flame Dialed! (must be an Italian take out thing)
    Nosce Te Ipsum: La Bestia Ringhia In Noi: Notice to Ipsum – The Beast is Ringing the Noi! (the Noi is a special kind of town bell, found only in southern part of Fred’s moon. I’m guessing)
    Corale Per Messa Da Requiem: Chorus of the Dead Mess
    Epilogo: Conclusione Della Discesa Agl'Inferi D'Un Giovane Amante:
    Epilog: Johnny’s cured! (Conclusion of the Fiery Diseases of Johnny Amante)

** As you can tell, based on the English translations, this is a very complex album/release and requires many listens. **

Just another part of the mystery and excitement that is Italian Prog!

So just practice a bit and you’ll get the hang of it. It’s so much more rewarding when you know what you’re listening to!!
    Last edited by italprogfan; 02-24-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: the damn tabbing doesn't show up...

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I haven't read all of it but "Forneria" means bakery: Premium Marconi Bakery. Reading some of the rest I guess you actually are joking?
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by italprogfan View Post

Le Orme: The Orm
    Yep. We've got it.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Reading some of the rest I guess you actually are joking?
    i would have thought that the homage to the quality lyrics by Goblin, Galie, and KISS would have been your first hint.

Sorry for the formatting, the damn thing collapsed all the columns and tabs - it was much easier to read....