Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles White Album 50th Anniversary Tour

I understand that Dino, Desi, & Billy are doing a 50th anniversary tour of Electric Ladyland. But since Dino's dead, they're bringing in the groupie who famously plaster-casted Jimi; she'll mime the bass parts.

The Wheels of Fire 50th is under discussion; nothing firm but Meg White's name has come up.

It's folly to have hoped that rock would die with dignity.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Dude.

Rock never does anything with dignity. Dignity so isn't rock'n'roll.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Yeah....get Dahni H & Sean L together with Ringo & Paul.....that would be a crazy visual.....It was startling to see Dahni at Georges Concert.....there was a comment by either Paul or Ringo that looking over at Dahni was like looking at George 40 years younger!.....
    Interesting sidenote regarding Dahni Harrison. We have tickets to see Jeff Lynne's ELO in July and Dahni is the opening act.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Interesting sidenote regarding Dahni Harrison. We have tickets to see Jeff Lynne's ELO in July and Dahni is the opening act.
    I'd like to see a review of that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Dude.

Rock never does anything with dignity. Dignity so isn't rock'n'roll.
    gotta agree with you there - may even be the antithesis.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'd like to see a review of that.
    Dahni? I can post one since I'm the designated driver so my wife can enjoy a glass of wine. I'm fine with that and I must be the luckiest man on the planet to have made it home without hurting someone or myself for decades of over indulging at concerts..
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Dahni?
    yes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Christopher Cross is a compelling performer.
    believe it or not the guy can shred on guitar like nobody's business.

i'd be real curious to hear/see the version of Revolution #9 from this tour.

you lucky bastard!

For anyone who is Dahni curious i highly recommend his latest solo record and stuff with Thenewno2.

Those Beatle kids don't fall far from the tree.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I'm only familiar with Sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Which is probably how he once ended up in Deep Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    If I'm Todd Rundgren, I am wondering why I signed on for this.
    He appears to enjoy leeching off of work that is not his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    He did some Beatles covers on Faithfull.

Is it sacrilege to suggest that, though it has a few decent tunes, The White Album isn't actually much good?? I mean, I realise it's The Beatles and everything, but TWA must be one of the most unfocused, rambling and self-indulgent albums of rock's supposed 'golden era'. If it was anyone other than the Fabs who had produced it, then I suspect the critics would have torn it to shreds. The first album to suggest that The Emperors had a few clothing issues that they might want to address.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Is it sacrilege to suggest that, though it has a few decent tunes, The White Album isn't actually much good?? I mean, I realise it's The Beatles and everything, but TWA must be one of the most unfocused, rambling and self-indulgent albums of rock's supposed 'golden era'. If it was anyone other than the Fabs who had produced it, then I suspect the critics would have torn it to shreds. The first album to suggest that The Emperors had a few clothing issues that they might want to address.
    I am not sure what you're talking about, but the White Album is probably one of their best albums. It is not predictable. It is not formulaic. It is not over-produced. It is raw and biting, in some spots downright ferocious, yet has some of the best acoustic music The Beatles ever released. It is the antithesis of Sgt. Peppers, and thank god for that.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I am not sure what you're talking about, but the White Album is probably one of their best albums. It is not predictable. It is not formulaic. It is not over-produced. It is raw and biting, in some spots downright ferocious, yet has some of the best acoustic music The Beatles ever released.
    ^^^^^^ this.
    I love the White album. The songs were written as an outlet by each member as a way to express themselves and not be tied down by writing by committee or John with Paul. What we pretty much got were solo albums with Beatles playing on them.

Let it Be with all of the dynamics going on at the time, still has some great moments on it. And Abbey Road was the perfect album to say good bye to the Beatles. Great songwriting, performance and production. It was everything they had learned in their careers perfected in one album.

i will respectfully disagree with the views expressed on this entire post, except the sacrilege part.

I'd delete:

Ob-La-Di...
    Wild Honey Pie
    Bungalow Bill
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Don't Pass Me By
    Why Don't We......
    Birthday
    Long, Long, Long
    Honey Pie
    Good Night
    Revolution #9
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^^ Wow, "Blackbird" is one of Paul's best songs, IMHO.

I wouldn't delete a thing. And it's not about loyalty, sacrilege or what i'm accustomed to. It's about their intent as artists and continuity. I would also venture to suggest that it's the most eclectic album ever made.

I'd only delete #9 and Ob la di. Everything else stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'd only delete #9 and Ob la di. Everything else stays.
    There's a Paul song on nearly every Beatles album that's delete-able.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I'd delete:

Ob-La-Di...
    Wild Honey Pie
    Bungalow Bill
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Don't Pass Me By
    Why Don't We......
    Birthday
    Long, Long, Long
    Honey Pie
    Good Night
    Revolution #9
    I can dig that. In fact, I Love it!!

The only White Album tunes I listen to in my yearly Beatles playlist are:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    I Will
    Julia
    Blackbird
    Helter Skelter
    Revolution (single)
    Hey Jude (single)

If it was anyone other than the Fabs who had produced it, then I suspect the critics would have torn it to shreds.
    I agree but for almost opposite reasons than what you have in mind. I've been working my way through the recent 6CD remix/outtakes set in the beautiful book. What really strikes me is how open and free and creative they all were at the time, pulling in influences from anything and everything, seemingly not worried one bit about preconceived norms, public expectations, any overall concept or coming up with a hit. I had a hunch this was true but the book really hits all this home in essays, pictures, interviews.

And this is what we got. Four album sides of pure creativity. 50 years of popular music influences rolled up into one brilliant if sometimes mystifying package. Yes critics and the public may have hated the White Album had it come from a lesser band, but it would have been their problem not the album's.

I can dig that. In fact, I Love it!!

The only White Album tunes ...

Revolution (single)
    Hey Jude (single)

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I agree but for almost opposite reasons than what you have in mind. I've been working my way through the recent 6CD remix/outtakes set in the beautiful book. What really strikes me is how open and free and creative they all were at the time, pulling in influences from anything and everything, seemingly not worried one bit about preconceived norms, public expectations, any overall concept or coming up with a hit. I had a hunch this was true but the book really hits all this home in essays, pictures, interviews.

And this is what we got. Four album sides of pure creativity. 50 years of popular music influences rolled up into one brilliant if sometimes mystifying package. Yes critics and the public may have hated the White Album had it come from a lesser band, but it would have been their problem not the album's.
    Brilliant post.

Sorry, but that is total malarkey.

For crying out loud... The New Cars happened over a decade ago. Isn’t it time to let that grudge go?