Thread: Bandcamp Goes Retail

Bandcamp Goes Retail

So any time I see someone trying to grow the retail sector I perk up. Mainly because I wonder what idiot is about to be parted with millions of dollars.

This is no more true than when it comes to music retailing. But there it is in my inbox -- a notice from the Bandcamp folks that they are opening a retail store in Oakland (Bay Area, CA.) It's also being billed as a performance space, so perhaps they're hoping for additional traffic/cross-promotion synergies with that angle.

Here's the actual wording of the message:
    We recently opened a record shop and performance space, and hope you’ll come visit. We’re at 1901 Broadway in Oakland, California (right by the 19th Street BART station), and open Monday-Friday from 12pm-7pm.

The space features a selection of records that showcase the diversity and design of the more than five million albums available on Bandcamp, and we’ve been hosting free, all-ages shows and events with artists and organizations like Sol Development, Oakland School for the Arts, Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, and many others (we’re launching a video series around those performances a little later this year).
    Is this happening anywhere else in the country, or are they using the Bay Area to pilot the idea?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ That's probably the only one, but as the old adage says, "He who lives by the Hipster shall also die by the Hipster."

Whatthefudge?!?!?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I think this was announced some months ago on their website, and I think Pitchfork ran an article on it back then too.

Love Bandcamp, and I hope this venture pans out for them.

Paul, you didn't post the best part, the pictures!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It's also being billed as a performance space, so perhaps they're hoping for additional traffic/cross-promotion synergies with that angle.
    They certainly should open their shop somewhere also in E.U., because young people there really love that kind of combined & beautifully designed places for their late afternoon out.

This could work. I see a stage. When they include a bar, maybe some listening stations where you can hear the entire catalogue. Could be a cool place.