Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Banks and Bill Bruford announce career-spanning box sets

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I have those originals too, and I personally prefer the Nick Davis remasters. Of course all of 'A Curious Feeling' was remastered nicely, the others we have most of 'Still' and much of the others in the Chord Too Far box. If it's the same versions, there are 2 tracks from 'Still' still to hear that were not in that box, 3 from 'Strictly Inc', and I think 5 from 'Bankstatement' and about half of 'The Fugitive'. Nick did a nice job with what is on the box.
    Great info bill, thank you. I must admit I'm not a fan of the Nick Davis Genesis(Phil era) remasters. I had the cd boxset and recently sold them and acquired early original cd versions and I'm very happy because I found the Davis remasters too digital and compressed.I literally could not listen to them. Of course some of the digitally recorded Genesis stuff had issues for me as it was, so his remastering didn't fix that for me. I did keep my vinyl versions of that boxset and I enjoy listening to them, but I also replaced them with mint/ex cond copies on vinyl. The original Trick of the Tail on vinyl sounds the best to me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Not career-spanning sets. Solo career-spanning sets. Huge difference.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Not career-spanning sets. Solo career-spanning sets. Huge difference.
    are you referring to our discussion of Nick Davis remasters? if so, I was only using the Genesis remasters as a reference point.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I was referring to the thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    are you referring to our discussion of Nick Davis remasters? if so, I was only using the Genesis remasters as a reference point.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I was referring to the thread title.

I have the original cds, at least of A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement and Still. The only one Nick Davis engineered out of the 3 is Still. Did Nick do remastering of Tony's catalog like he did Genesis?
    He remixed A Curious Feeling and The Fugitive in full for the Esoteric releases, in stereo and 5.1. I can't comment on what was on that A Chord Too Far box. I don't think Esoteric have ever released any of his other solo albums, they've been out of print for a long, long time.

Great info bill, thank you. I must admit I'm not a fan of the Nick Davis Genesis(Phil era) remasters. I had the cd boxset and recently sold them and acquired early original cd versions and I'm very happy because I found the Davis remasters too digital and compressed.I literally could not listen to them. Of course some of the digitally recorded Genesis stuff had issues for me as it was, so his remastering didn't fix that for me. I did keep my vinyl versions of that boxset and I enjoy listening to them, but I also replaced them with mint/ex cond copies on vinyl. The original Trick of the Tail on vinyl sounds the best to me.
    I think I've seen other people saying the records of the remixes were better. Possibly the problems with the remixes were added at the CD (and SACD) mastering stage. Anyway, I'm a big fan of the original Genesis CDs from the 80s. They got it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    He remixed A Curious Feeling and The Fugitive in full for the Esoteric releases, in stereo and 5.1. I can't comment on what was on that A Chord Too Far box. I don't think Esoteric have ever released any of his other solo albums, they've been out of print for a long, long time.

I think I've seen other people saying the records of the remixes were better. Possibly the problems with the remixes were added at the CD (and SACD) mastering stage. Anyway, I'm a big fan of the original Genesis CDs from the 80s. They got it right the first time.
    JJ, thank you so much for reminding me those Nick Davis albums were remixed. I feel kind of silly having written it incorrectly as remastered but I truly appreciate the way you provided the right information. Of course Nick Davis did remaster those albums for the 1994 Definitive Edition remasters.

I agree, the original cd's are the best versions, and even those vary from where they were pressed and mastered. I spent days on the Hoffman forum sorting it all out, and my Collins era Genesis is a mish mosh of countries and pressing plants.
    For the most part, the general consensus of opinions I've read lean in the direction those remixes are too bright. I have grown to like the remixes on vinyl, however on any one day I might choose the cd, original vinyl or the remix...it's all good!
    thanks again

I remember when I first got the remixes, and being unable to work out why I was preferring the older CDs. Later I learned about compression etc. The 1994 Genesis CDs that Davis remastered are not that great IMHO, but they are at least the original mixes.

Anyway, the blurb of this Banks box mentions Davis so I am going to guess they will be his remixes. Miles Showell I think worked on those Beatles/McCartney reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Anyway, the blurb of this Banks box mentions Davis so I am going to guess they will be his remixes. Miles Showell I think worked on those Beatles/McCartney reissues.
    Yes, compression is part of the problem. I assume it was used on the original mixes and sometimes during the digitalization and mastering process that can elevate it's process. I've noticed it especially on Phil's vocals at time when it opens and shuts, but it's less noticeable on the originals but clearly evident on the Davis remixes. He also brought Phil's drums up and lowered Tony's keyboards on certain tracks. Which as a fan of Tony's keyboard playing and musical parts I immediately missed.

Funny you should mention Miles Showell. I just ordered the re-issue of Genesis Seconds Out on vinyl(signed by Steve) and it was remastered at half speed at Abbey Road by Miles Showell.
    I posted a thread here about the new release and in it is a video of Miles talking about the process.

Not all the solo Banks stuff on A Chord Too Far were remixed or remastered - you have to check the booklet, but it appears quite a few of the later solo tracks are original mixes. --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Not all the solo Banks stuff on A Chord Too Far were remixed or remastered - you have to check the booklet, but it appears quite a few of the later solo tracks are original mixes. --Peter
    This is correct, it was only some of the tracks that were remixed in that box.

I'm hoping they break this boxset up, as I'd like to get a copy of Strictly Inc. I'm hoping they will also release these on 180g vinyl and would prefer to get a copy on vinyl. It's near impossible to find and vinyl even more so.
    I know Esoteric (or Cherry Red) released A Curious Feeling and A Fugitive on 180g some years ago.

I'm hoping they break this boxset up, as I'd like to get a copy of Strictly Inc. I'm hoping they will also release these on 180g vinyl and would prefer to get a copy on vinyl. It's near impossible to find and vinyl even more so.
    I know Esoteric (or Cherry Red) released A Curious Feeling and A Fugitive on 180g some years ago.
    I rather doubt it, Strictly Inc. was the lowest selling title in his catalogue, following years of steady decline where each title sold worse than its predecessor. I bought it though! Still there on my shelf almost a quarter century later. Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm all for Tony's music being made available to those who want it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    No way I can justify splurging on the Earthworks box when I already have at least 90% of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No way I can justify splurging on the Earthworks box when I already have at least 90% of it.
    Sadly, this is where I'm at as well. I just saw an ad for it today, and seeing the CD spines all lined up looks exactly like my shelf!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I would happily buy a more affordable box that included only the CDs of audio from the Video Anthology series, the Santiago discs, and the From Conception to Birth disc.

At least most of Strictly Inc is on the 'Chord Too Far' box, all but 3 songs. The Chord Too Far box has a lot of great unreleased music on the 4th disc, making the whole box worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    At least most of Strictly Inc is on the 'Chord Too Far' box, all but 3 songs. The Chord Too Far box has a lot of great unreleased music on the 4th disc, making the whole box worth it for me.
    Thanks for suggesting this, I appreciate it.
    I already have original issues on cd of Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still and Soundtrack(I burned a cd from my cassette tape). Plus I like to listen to an album from start to finish and enjoy the continuity of that process, where the Chord Too Far sounds like a mixtape which jumps from album to album.
    I've heard some not so good things about Esoterics remastering on different artists albums. And my brief moments of listening to Chord on Amazon led me to feel there is a bit of brightness on these remasters which I don't care for.
    Which leads me to believe I wouldn't be happy with these new releases from Esoteric if that's the way the remaster stuff.
    This is just my opinion and my ears, and I know many people don't have a problem with a lot of their releases, but some DO share my view.

Thank you so much for your suggestion bill.

Thanks for suggesting this, I appreciate it.
    I already have original issues on cd of Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still and Soundtrack(I burned a cd from my cassette tape). Plus I like to listen to an album from start to finish and enjoy the continuity of that process, where the Chord Too Far sounds like a mixtape which jumps from album to album.
    I've heard some not so good things about Esoterics remastering on different artists albums. And my brief moments of listening to Chord on Amazon led me to feel there is a bit of brightness on these remasters which I don't care for.
    Which leads me to believe I wouldn't be happy with these new releases from Esoteric if that's the way the remaster stuff.
    This is just my opinion and my ears, and I know many people don't have a problem with a lot of their releases, but some DO share my view.

Thank you so much for your suggestion bill.
    I'm with you on listening to an album start to finish.

I'm only interested if they have a release on RED Vinyl...
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I’d love that too !!