Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks and Bill Bruford announce career-spanning box sets

Tony Banks and Bill Bruford announce career-spanning box sets

From Cherry Red Records:

***EXCLUSIVE SIGNED POSTCARDS AVAILABLE WHILE STOCKS LAST***

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of BANKS VAULTS, a newly re-mastered 8 disc boxed set featuring all of the solo albums released by Genesis founder TONY BANKS between 1979 and 1995. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010 as a member of Genesis, Tony is one of the most respected songwriters and keyboardists in the world. His career spans almost 50 years and has seen him sell in excess of 130 million albums. His body of work is as innovative as it is eclectic. Genesis’ avant-garde style made them one of progressive rock’s founding fathers in the 1970s, creating an experimental style of rock music never before seen. The albums A CURIOUS FEELING, THE FUGITIVE, THE WICKED LADY (film score), SOUNDTRACKS, BANKSTATEMENT, STILL and STRICTLY INC. all feature in this set (some being unavailable on CD for many years) and have been newly re-mastered at Abbey Road studios by Miles Showell and Nick Davis.There's also a bonus DVD (NTSC / Region Free) which features all eight promotional videos made as companions to single releases from these albums, issued on DVD for the first time.

“Earthworks Complete” is a Summerfold Records box set reissue of the entire back catalogue across the band’s 20-year career...that's 15 titles across 20 audio and 4 DVD discs including previously unreleased and little known material.
    THIS PHENOMENAL AND AWE-INSPIRING PACKAGE FEATURES THE FOLLOWING:

EARTHWORKS / DIG? / ALL HEAVEN BROKE LOOSE / STAMPING GROUND- LIVE /
    A PART, AND YET APART / THE SOUND OF SURPRISE / FOOTLOOSE AND FANCY FREE (2CD) /
    RANDOM ACTS OF HAPPINESS / FOOTLOOSE IN NYC (2CD & 1DVD SET)
    A VIDEO ANTHOLOGY VOLUME 1: 2000S (2CD & 1DVD SET)
    A VIDEO ANTHOLOGY VOLUME 2: 1990S (2CD & 1DVD SET)
    EARTHWORKS UNDERGROUND ORCHESTRA
    EARTHWORKS IN SANTIAGO, CHILE (1CD & 1DVD SET: PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED VIDEO)
    FROM CONCEPTION TO BIRTH (17 SHORT TRACKS SHOWING THE PROCESS FROM DEMO TO MASTER, WITH EXPLANATORY NOTES FROM BILL BRUFORD)
    HEAVENLY BODIES EXPANDED (2CD ‘BEST OF’ COLLECTION ACROSS THE ENTIRE CATALOGUE, WITH EXPLANATORY NOTES FROM BILL BRUFORD)

It's released on 19th July. Reserve your copy here.

Most of the Tony Banks albums have been out of print for many years. The Wicked Lady soundtrack in particular is a bit of a rarity...not one I've ever heard.

Both look like excellent sets. I have most of the Earthworks but only 3 of the Banks albums so the latter is more tempting for me. A few more details on the Banks set:

£40.99
    Released July 19, 2019.

***SIGNED POSTCARDS AVAILABLE WHILE STOCKS LAST***

ALBUMS RE-MASTERED AT ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS BY MILES SHOWELL & NICK DAVIS

DISC ONE: CD

A CURIOUS FEELING
    RELEASED IN OCTOBER 1979

1. FROM THE UNDERTOW
    2. LUCKY ME
    3. THE LIE
    4. AFTER THE LIE
    5. A CURIOUS FEELING
    6. FOREVER MORNING
    7. YOU
    8. SOMEBODY ELSE’S DREAM
    9. THE WATERS OF LETHE
    10. FOR A WHILE
    11. IN THE DARK

DISC TWO: CD

THE WICKED LADY O/S/T
    RELEASED IN APRIL 1983

1. THE WICKED LADY
    2. PORTRAIT OF JERRY JACKSON
    3. CAROLINE’S THEME
    4. SCHERZO
    5. PASTORALE
    6. PRELUDE TO THE WICKED LADY
    7. KIT’S THEME
    8. FINALE
    9. BARBARA
    10. THE CHASE
    11. SPRING
    12. KIT
    13. REPENTANCE
    14. CAROLINE
    15. JERRY JACKSON
    16. THE WICKED LADY (CUSTOM VERSION)

DISC THREE: CD

THE FUGITIVE
    RELEASED IN JUNE 1983

1. THIS IS LOVE
    2. MAN OF SPELLS
    3. AND THE WHEELS KEEP TURNING
    4. SAY YOU’LL NEVER LEAVE ME
    5. THIRTY THREE’S
    6. BY YOU
    7. AT THE EDGE OF NIGHT
    8. CHARM
    9. MOVING UNDER
    BONUS TRACKS
    10. K2
    11. SOMETIME NEVER

DISC FOUR: CD

TONY BANKS: SOUNDTRACKS
    RELEASED IN MARCH 1986

MUSIC FROM THE FILM “QUICKSILVER”
    1. SHORTCUT TO SOMEWHERE
    2. SMILIN’ JACK CASEY

QUICKSILVER SUITE
    3. REBIRTH
    4. GYPSY
    5. FINAL CHASE

MUSIC FROM THE FILM
    “LORCA AND THE OUTLAWS”

6. YOU CALL THIS VICTORY
    7. LION OF SYMMETRY

REDWING SUITE
    8. REDWING
    9. LORCA
    10. KID AND DETECTIVE DROID
    11. LIFT OFF
    12. DEATH OF ABBY

DISC FIVE: CD

BANKSTATEMENT
    RELEASED IN AUGUST 1989

1. THROWBACK
    2. I’LL BE WAITING
    3. QUEEN OF DARKNESS
    4. THAT NIGHT
    5. RAINCLOUD
    6. THE BORDER
    7. BIG MAN
    8. A HOUSE NEEDS A ROOF
    9. THE MORE I HIDE IT
    10. DIAMONDS AREN’T SO HARD
    11. THURSDAY THE TWELFTH

DISC SIX: CD

STILL
    RELEASED IN APRIL 1991

1. RED DAY ON BLUE STREET
    2. ANGEL FACE
    3. THE GIFT
    4. STILL IT TAKES ME BY SURPRISE
    5. HERO FOR AN HOUR
    6. I WANNA CHANGE THE SCORE
    7. WATER OUT OF WINE
    8. ANOTHER MURDER OF A DAY
    9. BACK TO BACK
    10. THE FINAL CURTAIN

DISC SEVEN: CD

STRICTLY INC: Strictly Inc
    RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER 1995

1. DON’T TURN YOUR BACK ON ME
    2. WALLS OF SOUND
    3. ONLY SEVENTEEN
    4. THE SERPENT SAID
    5. NEVER LET ME KNOW
    6. CHARITY BALLS
    7. SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR
    8. A PIECE OF YOU
    9. STRICTLY INCOGNITO
    10. AN ISLAND IN THE DARKNESS

DISC EIGHT: DVD

THE PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS

1979 – 1995

1. FOR A WHILE (1979)
    2. THE WATERS OF LETHE (1979)
    3. THIS IS LOVE (1983)
    4. SHORTCUT TO SOMEWHERE (1986)
    5. THROWBACK (1989)
    6. I WANNA CHANGE THE SCORE (1991)
    7. THE GIFT (1991)
    8. ONLY SEVENTEEN (1995)

The thing with the Banks set, I love his music, which does something emotionally for me that's different from anyone else, but already have everything except 'The Wicked Lady' which I played so much to death when it came out that I can't see forking out the $. Granted I like what Nick Davis does with the remasters (have the Chord too far box) but... had there been more keyboard versions of orchestral music, I'd be all over this. Now I'll have to ponder...

The Bruford might make more sense to me as I don't have a lot of Bruford on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Most of the Tony Banks albums have been out of print for many years. The Wicked Lady soundtrack in particular is a bit of a rarity...not one I've ever heard.
    If you like 'Forever Morning', you'll likely like it. The keyboard half is the good half by far in my opinion.

Unfortunately I have almost all of this already. Definitely all of the Banks, including The Wicked Lady on CD - and in fact I have more than what is included here, considering the fourth disc of the previous Esoteric boxed set and a few CD singles with b-side tracks that I don't see listed on this set. And I do have 10 Earthworks CDs and two video anthologies... not sure I can see enough new stuff included to warrant buying it all again. But great that this stuff is being made available for the fans who don't have it! I am huge fan of both artists.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Will they sell the CDs separately I wonder? Or can you only get them in the box set?

Frustrating that there is nothing new of note in the banks set. And it’s missing the surround mixes of fugitive and curious feeling so those of us who have them can’t really sell them.

Also fugitive is still missing the 12” mix of this is love and charm. (All later remixes also missing but they presumably will have another chance to disappoint me if they do cd dvd releases)

Is a Bruford box with just EarthWorks really "career-spanning" ? Doesn't really apply to Banks either, although at least it does cover his solo career from the beginning.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Deja vu? Haven't we been here and done this?

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    With whom?

Soundtrack work of Banks interests me but sadly I hate his pop stuff (unfortunately I already own few albums of those) so this box set is no-go for me.

From Bruford I already got everything.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Soundtrack work of Banks interests me but sadly I hate his pop stuff (unfortunately I already own few albums of those) so this box set is no-go for me.

I think Tony's 3 Orchestra Albums are a revelation. Love it all. I own ALL of his other CD's - sorry to say there is nothing on them that draws me to his music, save Curious Feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think Tony's 3 Orchestra Albums are a revelation. Love it all. I own ALL of his other CD's - sorry to say there is nothing on them that draws me to his music, save Curious Feeling.
    I have two of those orchestra albums but honestly I have to say that those don't do much for me. World is so full of much more impressive orchestral music.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I also love the orchestral albums, each of which was better than the last. And some of Tony's home demos of those compositions are fantastic as well, they can be found on the fourth disc of the A Chord Too Far boxed set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love Tony, buying the box set I wouldn't get a single note I don't already own, bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I guess you're refering to A Chord Too Far, Banks' "best of" from 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Will they sell the CDs separately I wonder? Or can you only get them in the box set?
    I have all of TB's music but only have LP's of Wicked Lady and Soundtracks so I would be interested in the separates. I don't have much of Bruford except for his Earthworks stuff, so that is interesting for me.

Esoteric?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Is a Bruford box with just EarthWorks really "career-spanning" ? Doesn't really apply to Banks either, although at least it does cover his solo career from the beginning.
    It spans his entire Earthworks career.

Not quite, as there's a show from Chile (CD and DVD), plus a disc of demos (like he included with the special edition of his bio), where demos are followed by brief clips of the actual songs so you can hear the diff between the two.

Probably not worth the box for you, but while the Chile show might ultimately see separate release (this is not something I know...just a guess), but like the Seems Like a Lifetime Ago box, the fourth album demos have not been released separately (nor, for that matter, have the second live show).
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I have two of those orchestra albums but honestly I have to say that those don't do much for me. World is so full of much more impressive orchestral music.
    You probably have to love the uniqueness of Banks' compositions to be moved by his orchestral music. His use of intriguing chord patterns and melody coupled with orchestra give him a unique place in the orchestral world. He is a composer some adore, and some don't.

It is surprisingly disappointing that there's not a single thing new on this box, save the fact it's remastered. And there's the videos, if that's important. I hope he gets some recognition from this, he certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Y
    It is surprisingly disappointing that there's not a single thing new on this box, save the fact it's remastered.
    I've learned the hard way, that doesn't necessarily translate into sounding better than the original. If the original sounded bad to begin with, then maybe, but if it sounds good or better than good, chances are a good remastering will be subtle.

As far as promo videos, not really a fan. They are good for a one time view in my opinion, but not something to go back to again. And of course there is always a search on YT.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It is not clear which versions will be in this box. I do not believe Esoteric ever released the original mixes of his first two albums- instead those were Nick Davis remixes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It is not clear which versions will be in this box. I do not believe Esoteric ever released the original mixes of his first two albums- instead those were Nick Davis remixes.
    I have the original cds, at least of A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement and Still. The only one Nick Davis engineered out of the 3 is Still. Did Nick do remastering of Tony's catalog like he did Genesis?

Here's what I have:
    A Curious Feeling , Virgin Records, engineered by David Hentschel and David Bascombe
    Bankstatement on Atlantic, produced by Steve Hillage and Tony Banks and engineered by Steve Chase
    Still, Giant Records, engineered by Nick Davis
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I have those originals too, and I personally prefer the Nick Davis remasters. Of course all of 'A Curious Feeling' was remastered nicely, the others we have most of 'Still' and much of the others in the Chord Too Far box. If it's the same versions, there are 2 tracks from 'Still' still to hear that were not in that box, 3 from 'Strictly Inc', and I think 5 from 'Bankstatement' and about half of 'The Fugitive'. Nick did a nice job with what is on the box.