Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh they are good numbers for the women in the USA, very impressive, they surely deserve equal pay from the US Soccer Federation given their impact. I enjoyed all the games I watched and will happily watch them ahead of the NBA. But they're not going to get the money they are looking for from FIFA on the global stage as the revenue is just not there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    USA vs Mexico in Gold Cup final right now, pretty intense as you'd expect.
    watching this & the WWC final on the same day really highlighted the differences between men and women's soccer....yes the men's game was faster and more physical but there was waaaay more flopping and so many balls sailing 10 feet over the goal. both teams were pretty dirty. the women's game didn't really have any of that.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Not according to the International Football Association Board, which makes the rules FIFA follows:

• the player being substituted:
    • receives the referee’s permission to leave the field of play, unless already off the field, and must leave by the nearest point on the boundary line unless the referee indicates that the player may leave directly and immediately at the halfway line or another point (e.g. for safety/security or injury)
    • must go immediately to the technical area or dressing room and takes no further part in the match, except where return substitutions are permitted
    I SAID HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER!

Substitutions are unlimited, and players can return freely if they haven’t been disqualified. But, subs are only allowed between periods, after a score or goal kick, or for injuries. It's here that college rules are a little different. A subbed-out collegian can only return to a game in the second half of regulation time, and can only do it once. Players who are bleeding or shows signs of a concussion must be removed, and their teams may substitute new players. Additionally, a team doing a corner kick or throw-in may substitute freely. The opposing team may substitute only if the offense does first.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    But they're not going to get the money they are looking for from FIFA on the global stage as the revenue is just not there.
    Even Megan Rapinoe understands there's a difference between the men's & women's game when it comes to the global stage. But the mediation they're in is only with US Soccer. That's what I've been focusing on when it comes to ratings & pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Are you yelling at me or yelling in general?

Ian was talking about IFAB rules. Yes, you mentioned high school but the next part of your sentence ("but now you can go back in") is what confused things. Indeed, Ian was thinking along the same line I was. In fact, I almost asked if you were still talking about HS but it seemed that given the way you worded your sentence it was a rebuttal to Ian.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Even Megan Rapinoe understands there's a difference between the men's & women's game when it comes to the global stage. But the mediation they're in is only with US Soccer. That's what I've been focusing on when it comes to ratings & pay.

Ian was talking about IFAB rules. Yes, you mentioned high school but the next part of your sentence ("but now you can go back in") is what confused things. Indeed, Ian was thinking along the same line I was. In fact, I almost asked if you were still talking about HS but it seemed that given the way you worded your sentence it was a rebuttal to Ian
    My thinking was the same as yours, thanks for taking the bullet.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The men's world cup in Russia generated over 6 billion dollars in revenue. The men's team's got 400 million or less than 7% of the cut.
    Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams or 23% of the cut.

How good are the USA women? The "Dallas under 15-year-old boys soccer team" beat the USA women 5-2.

Ian was talking about IFAB rules. Yes, you mentioned high school but the next part of your sentence ("but now you can go back in") is what confused things. Indeed, Ian was thinking along the same line I was. In fact, I almost asked if you were still talking about HS but it seemed that given the way you worded your sentence it was a rebuttal to Ian.
    It's like being offsides, when I played in high school whoever beat the ball downfield behind the defender was offsides, whether you were involved in the play or not. Now you have to be involved with the play to be offsides.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

That's a change of rules that affects all levels, substitution is different at different levels.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    How good are the USA women? The "Dallas under 15-year-old boys soccer team" beat the USA women 5-2.
    You do understand the sexism inherent in your post, don't you?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Substitutions are unlimited, and players can return freely if they haven’t been disqualified. But, subs are only allowed between periods, after a score or goal kick, or for injuries. It's here that college rules are a little different. A subbed-out collegian can only return to a game in the second half of regulation time, and can only do it once. Players who are bleeding or shows signs of a concussion must be removed, and their teams may substitute new players. Additionally, a team doing a corner kick or throw-in may substitute freely. The opposing team may substitute only if the offense does first.
    That all sounds insane to anyone not used to American Football/Ice Hockey etc. I can remember when substitutions in (real) football were limited to two, and were very rarely used. If anything like the above ever comes into the professional game then that's the end of it...VAR is bad enough with everyone having to stand around for five minutes while they check if a goal is ok before they can start celebrating!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    If anybody cares, Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan from the World Cup team will be on Jimmy Kimmel's show tonight.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Watched whenever I had time, but TBH, I'm getting tired of constant exposition to football-soccer, so I'm not sure I will ever make space for women's sports - not that I make much space in my life for men's sports anyways - outside cycling, that is

A few positives from the WFWC (women football world cup):

- the best team won, no discussions about it (not the case with men last year in France, Belgium was the best)
    - play quality was high and drama levels low and with no-one systematically flattening the grass for 20 minutes per Brazilian games, it was more fun to watch.
    - Prefer to see/watch women running after a ball than men - the pleasure of the eyes - and I'm glad to see that they're wearing shorts instead of those ugly Bermuda trousers... maybe next time mini-skirts like in Tennis??
    - anyone who tells Trump to f**k off is cool in my book, unless he's North Korean. Now if the US team wants to tell Bo Jo the Clown to f**k off, be my guest.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    The men's world cup in Russia generated over 6 billion dollars in revenue. The men's team's got 400 million or less than 7% of the cut.
    Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams or 23% of the cut.

you're looking too broadly. we're talking about US soccer here. the women's team brings in more revenue than the men's; WWC games get higher ratings, because, y'know, the US is actually in it
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I have no problem them asking for equal pay from US Soccer but they were also complaining about FIFA World Cup prize money, which is a nonsense.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Watched whenever I had time, but TBH, I'm getting tired of constant exposition to football-soccer, so I'm not sure I will ever make space for women's sports - not that I make much space in my life for men's sports anyways - outside cycling, that is

A few positives from the WFWC (women football world cup):

- the best team won, no discussions about it (not the case with men last year in France, Belgium was the best)
    - play quality was high and drama levels low and with no-one systematically flattening the grass for 20 minutes per Brazilian games, it was more fun to watch.
    - Prefer to see/watch women running after a ball than men - the pleasure of the eyes - and I'm glad to see that they're wearing shorts instead of those ugly Bermuda trousers... maybe next time mini-skirts like in Tennis??
    - anyone who tells Trump to f**k off is cool in my book, unless he's North Korean. Now if the US team wants to tell Bo Jo the Clown to f**k off, be my guest.
    Sepp Blatter...is that you?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/...ootball.gender

That was my thought too
    Ian