Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup

OMG. That was a mauling. The US set a WC record for most goals scored in a game and largest differential. 13 - 0.

Morgan - 5 goals, tying Michelle Akers' record for the US
    Lavelle - 2
    Mewis - 2
    Horan - 1
    Rapinoe - 1
    Pugh - 1
    Lloyd - 1

Unbelievable.
    A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist. ~ Sir Humphrey Appleby

^I saw that 13-0 score earlier and I thought somebody was pranking!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If I'd been a Thai player I'd have started taking lumps out of the USA once they got past 8.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good win for England against the auld enemy the other day. Scotland looked quite good and we got the benefit of a dodgy VAR penalty.
    Yes, a very disappointing decision, for two reasons, looking forwards:

1. It's clear the the whole "hands/arms in unnatural position" criterion has been worked out by people who have little or no experience of actually playing; when you go to make a defensive tackle like Docherty did, you have to have your arms at least slightly away from your body, simply for balance. The alternative is the defender falls over with her/his arms behind their back, or they simply don't attempt to make a tackle/block. But in the latter case, then far too much of an advantage is being given to the attacker.

2. There will be a risk that attackers look to hit the arms of defenders deliberately.

It's a very poor rule change, the wrong solution to the wrong problem.

ouch. And the USMNT can't even qualify.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Watched the replay last night. The Thai team couldn't even get started!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    BTW, does anyone know what the song in this commercial is?

https://d3npuic909260z.cloudfront.ne...7/oZNw_360.mp4

I think it sounds like an early Who song... but not quite.
    I don't know it but it's definitely not the 'Oo. Which is a pity, because they actually did write a Coke commercial once and Coke turned it down...
    Ring the bells, that still can ring,
    Forget your perfect offering.
    There is a crack - a crack in everything.
    That's how the light gets in.

Japan 2 vs Scotland 1
    Jamaica 0 vs Italy 5

So, Japan looks like Japan again. In their first match against Argentina, which ended in a tie, they did not look like what I've come to expect from them. I thought maybe with Homare Sawa (Japan's greatest player), Miyama, et al, not part of the Japanese team, they were in a rebuilding phase. They played well against Scotland and if they continue to improve, they could be a contender. And if they make it to the Round of 16, which they have, they'll play either the winner of Group E (if they finish 2nd), either Canada or Netherlands, or the winner of Group B (if they finish 3rd), Germany. If I were Japan and had to play the winner of Group E or B, I'd want it to be the winner of Group E.

Italy. Wow. After their 2-1 win over Australia, I thought it was a combination of them playing well and the Matildas not playing up to their usual standard. Then, Australia came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Brazil. Yes, they looked better in this game but not that much better. And now that I've seen Italy play their 2nd game, I now know they're the real deal, a real contender and I expect them to win Group C.

England vs Argentina, today at 3pm EDT. I don't know what to think of Argentina but England is a good team. They didn't play real well against Scotland. Even tho they won 2-1, I expected more. I don't know, maybe Scotland played beyond themselves against England, but after seeing Scotland's game against Japan, it almost feels as if England isn't as good as I figured they'd be. But, we'll see.

The Aussie team really brought it against Brazil. I was surprised. That was a close one, with what looked like a 51/49 split on possession, IIRC. But Australia won it.

Yeah, the Matildas played really well.

England defeated Argentina, 1-0, and the Netherlands defeated Cameroon, 3-1.

So far, these are the teams that have qualified for the Round of 16:
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    England
    Netherlands

Japan and Canada are more than likely qualified given their points but they have some more games to play.

We'll see after tomorrow if the US qualifies.

Currently, here are the 3rd place standings:

Australia 3 pts
    China 3 pts
    Nigeria 3 pts
    Argentina 1 pt
    New Zealand 0 pts
    Chile 0

The significance of 3rd place is that four 3rd place finishers in Group play also qualify for the Round of 16.

Looking forward to seeing the group final Sweden vs. USA on 20th !
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent